FF prepare to re-organise

Arnó

We all know about the re-organising going on in Mayo for various reasons but this is something that will take place all over the country in various degrees before the next G.E.

Is the time right for new blood, new idea’s, a big recruitment drive?

Do they need a massive overall of the way they are organised or will slight changes be enough.

The only rule changes that I’ve heard of is that they are going to cut down on the number of cummans and also that no chairman can serve longer than 4 years as head of a cumman. One case in east galway where a guy has been a chairman for over 40 years.

Bertie is to attend a meeting in Galway west this weekend in order to set the wheels in motion on the re-organisation of the party there. A place where they feel they could get a third seat if they were organised better.

Website
Greenparty.ie
Re: FF prepare to re-organise.

Arnó said:
Bertie is to attend a meeting in Galway west this weekend in order to set the wheels in motion on the re-organisation of the party there. A place where they feel they could get a third seat if they were organised better.
To get a third seat they could reorganise, or, just be a least a half competent government............

Arnó

Andrew-formerly'Danny' said:
[quote="Arnó":l90ke1er]

To get a third seat they could reorganise, or, just be a least a half competent government............[/quote:l90ke1er]

Or get rid of M. Cox and put someone in the senate who the people would want to vote for. Organisation can do so much but you have to have a canditate who the people believe in.

Cox's recent foray into the opposition against Harney will do her some good but she doesn't have the depth to be a good politician.

Website
Greenparty.ie

Arnó said:
Or get rid of M. Cox and put someone in the senate who the people would want to vote for. Organisation can do so much but you have to have a canditate who the people believe in.

Cox's recent foray into the opposition against Harney will do her some good but she doesn't have the depth to be a good politician.
It did raise her profile a good vbit, but I'm wondering would her attention grabbing tactics have pissed of the party members [i.e. the ones that select the candidate] by portraying the government as incompetent?

Arnó

Party members, no. if you don’t critise Harney and McDowell your seen as being disloyal to FF. It was directed at Harney. Any pot shots at Harney and the pd’s are seen as a good thing and takes blame off FF for any problems in health. More importantly in Galway Grealish is made to be seen by Cox as the man who won’t stand up to Harney and demand that Harney give Galway it’s share. This is important to Cox because she needs to take votes from Grealish in order to get in. It’s his seat that’s up for grabs for FF much like FG taking seats from Lab. She needs to be ahead of him to get transfers from him.

It was Grealish who defended Harney while O Cuiv, Fahy kept quiet. Cox was smart about this she said that they needed to keep the pressure on to insure that they get the service in galway in two years time. While this will come anyway as Harney was committed to it, when it does comes (around election time) Grealish won’t be able to take all the credit as Cox will say it was her pressure that made sure that Harney couldn’t back track and most will believe her.

But it is a risky strategy from cox to break rank, FF Hq (grass roots will be) will not be happy with her for not towing the line and going on a solo run. If she gets in well and good if she doesn’t hq won’t give her a third chance and they will be more than happy to start looking for someone more loyal who can take the seat in Galway West.

BarryW

Arnó said:
Don't hold your breath. FF's record on recruitment drives in the past is fairly pathetic, as pointed out by Cowen himslef. Local head honchos don't want new members in FF - simple as that.

The FF cumann in my hometown has an average age of between 60 and 65 (at a guess). The youngest active member is the local Councillor.
The man who has been at the head of this cumman for as long as my parents can remember is still in situ. The only problem for him, is that all of his grandchildren are now Shinners. Relatives of many other cumann members have also joined SF.
If this pattern is happening on any kind of national scale, it could spell disaster for FF.

However, I am really looking forward to Cowen's initiative to organise FF in Northern Ireland.
The money, time and energy they spend on this venture will be of enormous benefit to Fine Gael and Labour as the general election approaches

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
The youngest active member is the local Councillor.
The man who has been at the head of this cumman for as long as my parents can remember is still in situ. The only problem for him, is that all of his grandchildren are now Shinners. Relatives of many other cumann members have also joined SF.
If this pattern is happening on any kind of national scale, it could spell disaster for FF.
True, but its great for SF isn't Barry. Which would you prefer more, a strong FF or a strong SF ?

Biffo

BarryW said:
FF's record on recruitment drives in the past is fairly pathetic, as pointed out by Cowen himslef. Local head honchos don't want new members in FF - simple as that.
For the first time ever I agree with something Barry has said in relation to FF.

Website
Greenparty.ie
Reports in the Galway 'City Tribune' that the FF Tent at the races could become a thing of the past as it as seens as 'elitest'. Meanwhile, the grassroots want a FF office to open in the city.
So now they'll get less money but have more expenses-seems they have the same approach to their own finances as they do the countries!

west_brit

Website
www.ogra.ie
Local head honchos don't want new members in FF - simple as that.
I'm a member of FF and I have tried to get others to join (which I have had some success in doing). However I know people who've applied to join and not gotten any replies at all. I thought all parties did this and could afford to ignore potential members. So I did a test, I signed up to YFG, the PD’s, and the Greens. Only YFG applied and did so within a week. I think FF needs a kick in the ass.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
and you now have the stigma of membership of YFG hanging over you for the rest of your life :wink:

Rocky

west_brit said:
I'm a member of FF and I have tried to get others to join (which I have had some success in doing). However I know people who've applied to join and not gotten any replies at all. I thought all parties did this and could afford to ignore potential members. So I did a test, I signed up to YFG, the PD’s, and the Greens. Only YFG applied and did so within a week. I think FF needs a kick in the ass.
If I found out that FG were ignoring potential members I would be outraged and I am very surprised to hear that FF are doing this. Political Parties should be doing everything in their power to get more members, which I think and hope FG are doing, not driving them away.

Arnó

west_brit said:
That's interesting. But it's a more interesting time at the moment for FF in recruiting terms because of the drives by FG/SF/LAB parties they have been forced into looking at how they go about it. But the big question is what do members do in between elections?
FG at the moment are talking about the increase in their membership but in reality what exactly can a member do within any party that he cannot do without being an official member. He can vote for them regadless and as for voting for candidates at conventions; they have been already pre-selected and only on the rare occasion do members make a differance like the S. o Neachtain case.

So i think that every party needs to look at how they interact with members. Although I would not be in favour of lab's way of members being able to choose their leader as a method for any party to engage with their members.

Risteard

P. O'Neill has worked in their interests for many years now.

hammer

We all know about the re-organising going on in Mayo for various reasons but this is something that will take place all over the country in various degrees before the next G.E.

Do they need a massive overall of the way they are organised or will slight changes be enough.

The only rule changes that I’ve heard of is that they are going to cut down on the number of cummans and also that no chairman can serve longer than 4 years as head of a cumman. One case in east galway where a guy has been a chairman for over 40 years.

Wow a thread from 2005 talking about FF reorganising :)

jo9jo

All this talk of Fianna Fail nua is pure and utter nonsense.
The simple people of Ireland, who made Ireland great with their sacrifices long for the Fianna Fail of yesteryear when every man, woman and child had the ear of the local councillor and TD.

These public representatives looked after the people by organising medical cards, the farmers dole, widows pensions, headage grants, college grants et al.

Now the people have to fend for themselves.
This is unacceptable and most of us cannot understand why we are being blamed for the collapse of the economy when we all know that our troubles were brought upon is by the crash of the big bank on the other side of the Atlantic.

Bring back Fianna Fail Classic for the sake of our children and our childrens children.
They will get the builders back to work.

Dal gCais

Wow a thread from 2005 talking about FF reorganising :)
So let me get this straight: you've gone trawling through thread that are over 7 years old and this is the best you could drag up? A thread about FF in Mayo and Galway? Where Sinn Féiner's make grand predictions that never came true despite the ************************e FF made of the economy? Are FG members so really out of ideas that this is what ye've been reduced to?!?! Jesus ye are all the bloody same. Childish, moronic, time-wasting rubbish Hammer. How the hell does any party want to be taken seriously when their members are going on like this. Have ye no ideas, nothing waiting in the wings for the future or is the current crop of old-tired men in cabinet backed up by gombeen default politicians like Joe Carey here for instance, all ye have to offer. If only there was an opposition of youth and vigour to oppose you that spoke sense. My vote would be quickly finding its way there and away from the government parties in a heart beat.

New Threads

Most Replies