• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

FF/SF or FF/FG which would FF choose?

PaddyDevlin

The next election could well leave a hung Dail between FF & the prospective Rainbow. With Rabbitte determined to keep Labour away from FF at all costs, SF may well hold the balance of power.

Much of the centre right middle class will be apoplectic at the prospect of a Fianna Fail/Sinn Fein coalition. Fianna Fail may well be worried about how its own soft middle class vote will react. The Fine Gael base will be terrified at the prospect at a FF/SF government and FG may well see it in its heart to dust of the “Tallaght Strategy” in “the National Interest” and give a minority FF government conditional FG support.

The question for FF people is:

Given the choice between FF/SF or FF/FG which would you choose and why? (& you can't cheat saying FF overall majority etc.)

Trojanhorse

Oh god i just read this thread...uuggghhh!!!

FF and FG please......

The reason quite simple that I would chose FG is that we banished the gun from our politics nearly 80 years ago so it would be ridulous to enter government with a party who have elements of the IRA tagging on to them. With a better leader in FG, we might get on OK with them anyway. Time to put the ould Civil war woes to rest. Essentially I feel that most parties in Irish politics could go into coalition as they are not that ideological far part.

CJH

Heresy, Trojanhorse! :evil: :x :evil:

FF and FG will never coalesce. Perhaps in very unusual circumstances, such as 1987-89, FF could accept the unofficial support of FG, but a formal arrangement would not work.
FF/SF will not become a possibility until the IRA goes away. Until that happens, there can be no arrangement. Afterwards, it becomes purely an issue of policy.

So to answer Paddy's question; in the event of a hung Dail, without IRA disbandment, I would be surprised if FF and Labour did not get together. But if they did not, a new election would probably be necessary.

Trojanhorse

Ahhh come on if we really had to CJH...surely FG would be better than the Shinners!!!

thegeneral

The prospect of either option occurring are quite slim. Either option would cause me great distress but thankfully they're very unlikely. In such a scenario Labour will join us after ditching Pat or if we cannot find suitable Independents to support us we should form a minority government. FG or Labour would get the blame if a government couldn't be formed after the next election, if we couldn't form one they certainly couldn't.

CJH

It's a horrible choice TH, but of the two I'd have to plump for SF. But it won't come to that; PaddyDevlin is just stirring sh1t.

joe672005

it's a tough choice alright but on balance i would go for FG now that our own party is more balanced with charlie gone and brennan demoted. Since then we've moved to the left so a deal with FG wouldn't be too bad, I just wish the shinners would let go of the IRA, I just don't trust them with the secret army knocking around.

BarryW

thegeneral said:
In such a scenario Labour will join us after ditching Pat or if we cannot find suitable Independents to support us we should form a minority government
Anyone who thinks that FF wil have enough seats to govern with the support of Independents is living in dreamland.

And for all you other fantasists out there: what do you think thee chances are of FG agreeing to prop up an FF government?!

I'd say its about as likely as Joe Cahill rising from the grave to lead the Ulster Unionist party.

thegeneral

BarryW said:
Anyone who thinks that FF wil have enough seats to govern with the support of Independents is living in dreamland.
Anyone who thinks Enda Kenny will be Taoiseach after the next election is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Oh and by the way that statement concerning the independents shouldn't be discounted too suddenly. I still believe the only option that will arise will be for labour to go in with FF but if the pact doesn't go ahead and there's no cogent opposition put forward independent candidates could benefit, both sitting or otherwise.

blue33

thegeneral said:
BarryW said:
Anyone who thinks Enda Kenny will be Taoiseach after the next election is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Oh and by the way that statement concerning the independents shouldn't be discounted too suddenly. I still believe the only option that will arise will be for labour to go in with FF but if the pact doesn't go ahead and there's no cogent opposition put forward independent candidates could benefit, both sitting or otherwise.
How about FF supporting an independent for taoiseach, be a nice change, maybe someone like tony gregory.

Neutral

I hope the Tony Gregory idea was a joke!!

Labour won't go in with FF, FF won't go in with SF, FG won't go in with FF,

so the choice is really between FF/PD/Ind and FG/Lab/Green/(PD)/Ind if FF and PDs lose seats to the opposition.

If FF & PDs can keep seat losses between themselves and FF "Independents" then FG/Lab/Green is impossible.

blue33

Neutral said:
I hope the Tony Gregory idea was a joke!!

Labour won't go in with FF, FF won't go in with SF, FG won't go in with FF,

so the choice is really between FF/PD/Ind and FG/Lab/Green/(PD)/Ind if FF and PDs lose seats to the opposition.

If FF & PDs can keep seat losses between themselves and FF "Independents" then FG/Lab/Green is impossible.
Its going to be FF/Lab, end of story(also end of rabbitte)

pluralist

Many years ago, the distinguished constitutional historian and politician John Kelly argued in favour of a FF/FG alignment. Having said that judging from some responses on this thread it looks as far away as ever.

blue33

pluralist said:
Many years ago, the distinguished constitutional historian and politician John Kelly argued in favour of a FF/FG alignment. Having said that judging from some responses on this thread it looks as far away as ever.
Eoghan Harris has called for it too, are you using him as a character witness as well?

apkavanagh

More likely to be FF/Lab or even FF/SF; for FG to go into coalition with FF would mark the end of that party

blue33

apkavanagh said:
More likely to be FF/Lab or even FF/SF; for FG to go into coalition with FF would mark the end of that party
Which one?

pluralist

blue33 said:
Eoghan Harris has called for it too, are you using him as a character witness as well?
I'd love it if someone could explain to me the vast ideological and policy differences between FF and FG...

blue33

pluralist said:
blue33 said:
I'd love it if someone could explain to me the vast ideological and policy differences between FF and FG...
They're a shower of c.unts and we can't stand to be in the same room as them..... that might make cabinet meetings difficult!

pluralist

My own preference would be for FF/Labour coalition, or alternatively FF government with support from Independents. The latter is by no means implausible (sorry BarryW), if FF deliver on infrastructural improvements such as Port Tunnel, etc.

Grassroots opinion in FF seems quite hostile to the PD's at this point.