• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

FF to back McDaid for GE !!!

BarryW

According to todays Irish Independent, Fianna Fail still want Jim McDaid (self-proclaimed "disgrace" and "idiot") to run in the General Election.

This is despite the former Minister for Road Safety being convicted tor driving down the wrong side of a dual carriageway, three times over the legal limit, and bing banned from driving for two years.

The reason FF are backing him is unsurprising - basically, its because their situation is so dire, and the alternative candidates are so crappy, they can't afford to let incumbent TDs just fade into the background - no matter how useless or discredited they are.

An FF spokesman admits as much:
"The party is anxious to hold onto the two seats here because the next election is going to be a numbers game. We can't be taking any chances and he is still the best choice. Come the next election, Fianna Fail needs Jim McDaid,"
"There is no doubt but he is going to run again. It's as simple as this. Whatever chance Fianna Fail has with him they have none without him."

kerrynorth

Retaining the sitting TD is there best, but I suspect, thankless hope of retaining 2 here. That is unless Blaney joins up. Both SF and FG are biting at their heels and realistically both could gain seats at the expense of FF and IndFF.

hiding behind a poster

If he's still banned from driving come the election, he'll need someone to drive him around - and won't the cost of said driver during the election campaign itself have to be declared in his election spending?

civic_critic

ah ... there is the small matter of ideas, policies, intellectual consistency, no? Oh, of course, this is Irish politics - I forgot. Forgive me. Divvying up the profits, getting the biggest gang together, dictating who stands guard at the door of the speakeasy, ... that's what we're about as a nation ... no wonder we have achieved so much over the last 80 years ...

ChrIreland

kerrynorth said:
Retaining the sitting TD is there best, but I suspect, thankless hope of retaining 2 here. That is unless Blaney joins up. Both SF and FG are biting at their heels and realistically both could gain seats at the expense of FF and IndFF.
Go for it SF.

martin TYRONE

hiding behind a poster said:
If he's still banned from driving come the election, he'll need someone to drive him around - and won't the cost of said driver during the election campaign itself have to be declared in his election spending?

Its also an offence if the passenger of a vehicle is drinking alcohol---it will have to be short stops all the way on the campaign trail

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
martin TYRONE said:
[quote="hiding behind a poster":ksjrx758]If he's still banned from driving come the election, he'll need someone to drive him around - and won't the cost of said driver during the election campaign itself have to be declared in his election spending?

Its also an offence if the passenger of a vehicle is drinking alcohol---it will have to be short stops all the way on the campaign trail[/quote:ksjrx758]

Do you mean actually in the act of drinking alcohol or having previously drunk alcohol? I was unaware that it was a crime for a sober person to drive their drunk friends home.

BarryW

kerrynorth said:
That is unless Blaney joins up. Both SF and FG are biting at their heels and realistically both could gain seats at the expense of FF and IndFF.
The Blaney situation is certainly giving FG an easy line of attack. I hope Joe McHugh plugs this line relentlessly:
http://www.finegael.ie/fine-gael-news.cfm/NewsID/26819/action/detail/level/page/aid/10/year/2005/month/10
I doubt that Doherty can do it to the same effect, because most Shinners are afraid to upset FFers and wannabe-FFers

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Point of interest Barry...

but do you believe that its also an absolute disgrace that Ruairi Quinn, also convicted of drink driving in past is standing in the next election ...

and was John Bruton an absolute disgrace for appointing him the Minister for Finance in his cabinet...

I mean I'd hate to think you were being a hypocrite Barry

SPN

rockofcashel said:

but do you believe that its also an absolute disgrace that Ruairi Quinn, also convicted of drink driving in past is standing in the next election ...

and was John Bruton an absolute disgrace for appointing him the Minister for Finance in his cabinet...

I think, in fairness, the fact that he was so scuttered that he drove a couple of miles on the wrong side of the Naas-Newbridge Dual Carriageway and had to be stopped by a truck pulling across in front of him, would lead any fair minded person to conclude that the fcuker should be in Mountjoy, not considering running for election.

Have people forgotten the recent carnage on the roads in Donegal so quickly?

Does the fact that he didn't actually kill anybody (through no fault of his own) mean that everything is lovely jubbly?

I hope not!

martin TYRONE

rr

martin TYRONE

agora said:
martin TYRONE said:
[quote="hiding behind a poster":3cpiuv8w]If he's still banned from driving come the election, he'll need someone to drive him around - and won't the cost of said driver during the election campaign itself have to be declared in his election spending?

Its also an offence if the passenger of a vehicle is drinking alcohol---it will have to be short stops all the way on the campaign trail
Do you mean actually in the act of drinking alcohol or having previously drunk alcohol? I was unaware that it was a crime for a sober person to drive their drunk friends home.[/quote:3cpiuv8w]

Agora,
If we happen to go out putting up election posters and I give you a lift home [no folks don't panic THE gREENS AREN'T in league with Sinn Fein] and you get drunk using the cans you picked up in the of licence--you will be deemed to be causing me a distraction--and I could be charged with dangerous driving.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
SPN said:
rockofcashel said:

I think, in fairness, the fact that he was so scuttered that he drove a couple of miles on the wrong side of the Naas-Newbridge Dual Carriageway and had to be stopped by a truck pulling across in front of him, would lead any fair minded person to conclude that the fcuker should be in Mountjoy, not considering running for election.

Have people forgotten the recent carnage on the roads in Donegal so quickly?

Does the fact that he didn't actually kill anybody (through no fault of his own) mean that everything is lovely jubbly?

I hope not!
and I agree with you SPN. Its just Barry is a little hypocrite, who quite frankly couldn't give a toss about the import of the offence except that in his miniscule little mind, it might somehow work in FG's favour come election time. I just wonder will he acknowledge his own hypocrisy (theres a first for everything), and condemn members of Dail'ternative (thats my word, I'm claiming copywrite on it)

BarryW said:
kerrynorth said:
That is unless Blaney joins up. Both SF and FG are biting at their heels and realistically both could gain seats at the expense of FF and IndFF.
The Blaney situation is certainly giving FG an easy line of attack. I hope Joe McHugh plugs this line relentlessly:
http://www.finegael.ie/fine-gael-news.cfm/NewsID/26819/action/detail/level/page/aid/10/year/2005/month/10
I doubt that Doherty can do it to the same effect, because most Shinners are afraid to upset FFers and wannabe-FFers
BarryW,

I know that you are one for diving in without doing your research but I must point out that Pearse Doherty is standing in Donegal South West, not Donegal North East, where Joe McHugh and Blaney are slugging it out. The said Mr McHugh is desperately trying to regain ground after the disastrous showing of FG in McHugh's heartland after the Udarás election this year. He will find it hard to regain the lost FG seat in this constituency by attacking Blaney and by consequence, moblising Blaney's legendary supporters.

Blaney has already hit back by reminding the local voters that McHugh had flirted with Fianna Fáil before finally opting for the FG nomination in 1999...ouch. He also attacked McHugh's failure to deliver on the ground. A hard reality and fact in the area that McHugh hails from.

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
martin TYRONE said:
agora said:
[quote="martin TYRONE":3lk7bly7][quote="hiding behind a poster":3lk7bly7]If he's still banned from driving come the election, he'll need someone to drive him around - and won't the cost of said driver during the election campaign itself have to be declared in his election spending?

Do you mean actually in the act of drinking alcohol or having previously drunk alcohol? I was unaware that it was a crime for a sober person to drive their drunk friends home.[/quote:3lk7bly7]

Agora,
If we happen to go out putting up election posters and I give you a lift home [no folks don't panic THE gREENS AREN'T in league with Sinn Fein] and you get drunk using the cans you picked up in the of licence--you will be deemed to be causing me a distraction--and I could be charged with dangerous driving.[/quote:3lk7bly7]

So I would have to be actually swilling down the lager whilst the car was in motion? What if I was just violently drunk but didn't actually have any alcoholic substances on my person?

martin TYRONE

agora said:
martin TYRONE said:
agora said:
[quote="martin TYRONE":17w4kiud][quote="hiding behind a poster":17w4kiud]If he's still banned from driving come the election, he'll need someone to drive him around - and won't the cost of said driver during the election campaign itself have to be declared in his election spending?

Do you mean actually in the act of drinking alcohol or having previously drunk alcohol? I was unaware that it was a crime for a sober person to drive their drunk friends home.
Agora,
If we happen to go out putting up election posters and I give you a lift home [no folks don't panic THE gREENS AREN'T in league with Sinn Fein] and you get drunk using the cans you picked up in the of licence--you will be deemed to be causing me a distraction--and I could be charged with dangerous driving.[/quote:17w4kiud]

So I would have to be actually swilling down the lager whilst the car was in motion? What if I was just violently drunk but didn't actually have any alcoholic substances on my person?[/quote:17w4kiud]

Probably the same--Im not sure---but if they caught you with a can while I was driving--it would probably blow their minds that you werent passing the can over to me to have a swig now and again--I would definately be breathalised---So picture it -we are on the side of the road in the middle of the night--with the boys in blue --we're not from the area--you have been seen drinking in the front seat--I have a northern accent--and Im trying to claim that I never once took a swig out of your cans while driving---it does not look good--We'RE really up the creek if they look in the boot and see the election posters---Sinn Fein/IRA and hippy Green

drjimryan

I suppose its pointless asking this person to do the decent thing.....................is the party being infiltrated at the highest level by those wanting to destroy it?

Or have they simply lost the plot.......

INSANE!

Biffo

He can apply to have the ban reduced after a year, he could use an election campaign as grounds for having his licence renewed.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Biffo said:
He can apply to have the ban reduced after a year, he could use an election campaign as grounds for having his licence renewed.
He could Biffo, but honestly, if there was ever an act of political suicide, it would be to ask to have a drink driving conviction lessened so that he could drive round campaigning.

I have no doubt that FF in Donegal will make adequate arrangments for Dr. Jim, if and when the need arises

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies