FF to support Referendum on "Irish Water" ownership

venusian

In a further success for the anti "Irish Water" protest movement Fianna Fail is now very likely to support a Referendum on Irish Water ownership to ensure that the state utility Irish Water stays in the ownership of the state.

Referendum on Irish Water ownership likely as Fianna Fáil to back bill
A REFERENDUM ON the public ownership of Irish Water is more likely after Fianna Fáil announced today it would back the bill calling for a referendum.

Obviously the untrustworthy Michael Martin has more political nous than the combined Fine Gael party and their lick spittle's, he knows that because of the massive opposition to IW, that FF will be politically destroyed if they do not support preventing "Irish Water" becoming privatised and the cementing of Irish Water ownership by the people of Ireland in the constitution.

wexfordman

Don't be fooled...electioneering

USER1234

If such a referendum was held i cant imagine Irish Water not staying in the ownership of the state!

derryman

And by having a referendum the continued existence of Irish water is guaranteed for ever and the Irish people remain screwed. It's called having your cake and eating it for FF.

Prester Jim

Martin is a machiavellian chap and this is a further act of a party and a leader with few principles but that doesn't really matter, if we get a referendum IW will not be privatised. The Irish voter (and probably most other voters) have no appetite for private ownership of water.

Prester Jim

And by having a referendum the continued existence of Irish water is guaranteed for ever and the Irish people remain screwed. It's called having your cake and eating it for FF.
Would still prefer IW publicly owned than it being another profiteering line for the likes of Dinny.

RodShaft

He is happy to support the Marxists who are no threat to his vote.

As long as it's not SF he's happy.

stopdoingstuff

We should always own and control the water supply, and neither corporate nor EU interests should be involved.

cricket

Not necessarily, it would remain in state ownership, but its administration is a matter for government. Personally, I favoured Bord na Mona from day one, but IW, if allowed operate, are quite capable of proving themselves.

I think the referendum is a spot of grandstanding by the alphabets and their rivals in the shinners, etc., but will vote in favour in any case.Rich boy Barrett will then go onto explain how this is the first step in the revolution, etc., FF will claim they've saved the country while SF will ask us not to be looking at what they're complicit in up north. Long ould winter ahead.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Au contraire, OP; this is FF's first step in its inevitable volte-face, at the end of which it will support the Water Commission's water charge proposals, "in order to protect the supply of a precious natural resource, having ensured via referendum, that Irish Water cannot be privatised".

You have been warned.

wombat

I think the referendum is a spot of grandstanding by the alphabets and their rivals in the shinners, etc., but will vote in favour in any case.Rich boy Barrett will then go onto explain how this is the first step in the revolution, etc., FF will claim they've saved the country while SF will ask us not to be looking at what they're complicit in up north. Long ould winter ahead.
I don't particularly care although after the experience with abortion, I'm against trying to put too much detail in the constitution - unintended consequences when judges start to interpret what it means.

Kommunist

'COMMUNIST PARTY OF IRELAND

Press release: Working people must continue to push forward on water ownership.
The Communist Party of Ireland welcomed today's announcement by Fianna Fail that they would support the holding of a referendum putting public ownership and control of water in the Irish constitution. This follows on from the support announced by the Labour Party. We congratulate the working people of our country who have stood firm and refused to be bullied or forced off the streets. Their demands were correct and their struggle was a just one.

This announcement is a victory for the continued mobilisation by Right2Water of hundreds of thousands of working people across the country. It is also a victory for those trade unions who put in considerable resources and give strategic organisation and direction to the community based struggles across the country. This consistent and sustained mobilisation made it impossible for the establishment parties to ignore the people's demand for such a constitutional amendment. The CPI congratulates Joan Collins TD and other independent TDs for proposing such an amendment.

The demand for a constitutional referendum on people's ownership was a central demand raised by the Communist Party of Ireland from the very beginning of the water struggle. As a party we campaigned vigorously in support of this democratic demand. This is the first stage in winning this important step toward securing a permanent victory regarding water. The campaign is not over yet – it needs to keep up the pressure until the referendum is called – and carried.

The great struggle around water shows what a mobilised working class, focused with clear objectives, can achieve. Sections of the trade union leadership and some on the left did not believe this was feasible. Working people can take courage from this advance, conscious of their capacity for struggle. Statement ends'

wombat

Personally, I favoured Bord na Mona from day one, but IW, if allowed operate, are quite capable of proving themselves..
BNM have no expertise of anything remotely like water infrastructure, at least BGE had experience with pipe networks.

Bea C

I heard him on Radio Kerry this morning about it.
I have no issue with water charges, I see nothing wrong with the principle.
But!!!
Privatisation should NEVER be an issue - with regard to any State asset, but most bloody especially water.

bogtrotter

FF do so many U turns on just about everything, most people don't take them seriously any more..

Kommunist

Give FF a month or 2 and they will change their views on IW again.
That was essentially the purpose of this referendum. To amend the constitution you need to have another referendum. Once enshrined, it'll be a bit more difficult to take out.

The question is how will the legislation look and what sort of sub-contractors will manage and look after the water supply..

wombat

Be careful what you wish for, some judge may decide that a farmer has no right to drill a well.

cricket

This posting is improper,site is not here to publicise party press releases.

RodShaft

I heard him on Radio Kerry this morning about it.
I have no issue with water charges, I see nothing wrong with the principle.
But!!!
Privatisation should NEVER be an issue - with regard to any State asset, but most bloody especially water.
I have a major issue.

We have a reasonably fair income tax system and then the two neo-liberal parties try to avoid using it, and instead prefer flat rate charges or usage charges which hit the less well off far harder as a percentage of their income.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies