FF White Paper on United Ireland

edwin

Link to article below of Micheal Martin interview with the Irish Times. FF is developing a 12 point plan to prepare for a future United Ireland by strengthening economic, political and educational links.

Fianna Fáil working on plan for united Ireland

Very pleased to see this happening and reflects the long standing calls from many FF members to be more pro-active regarding the fight for unity. Regardless of one's political affiliation, seeing the likely next lead governing party putting in the ground work is to be welcomed by all republicans.

Some key points mentioned in the article:

- Maintain 3 strand approach, Stormont Assembly and possibly Executive but with the Irish govt now being the main custodians
- Independent valuation of block grant with British government phasing out the assistance
- Common enterprise agency with harmonised taxes to prepare the way for unity
- Common education curriculum
- Cross border development zones

I think most of the above are excellent starting points but have my doubts about maintaining the Assembly in its current form. The North currently has 18 (soon to be 17) MPs at Westminster who are basically powerless because they are not integrated into the UK system and are so small in number. In a United Ireland, more than 25% of TDs (60+ if maintaining current population ratio) would be from the 6 counties and no Government could realistically be formed without a significant northern component. Having a 90 member Assembly on top would seem like complete overkill to me.

Also, how to convince a pre-unity Assembly (with presumably a nationalist minority) to support changes like curriculum and tax harmonisation will be challenging. Ultimately, preparations for unity need to be cross party and this is a welcome contribution.

He also criticises the idea of a premature border poll. An early border poll probably makes sense from a SF party political perspective (hence why they're pushing it) but runs the risk of setting back actual unity.

TheWolf

FF paying lip service to a UI again.

SF have them worried.

Nothing new from Martin though, the bandwagon hopper extraordinaire.:oops:

edwin

What a surprise. So called republicans immediately on the party political bandwagon to bash it. Not even bothered to read it probably.

razorblade

While it would be great news i dont see a united Ireland happening in the near future, its going to many more Years, before the nationalists substantialy, outnumber the unionist population.

TheWolf

What a surprise. So called republicans immediately on the party political bandwagon to bash it. Not even bothered to read it probably.
Anything Martin says or does has an ulterior motive.
One of the most dishonest politicians this country has ever seen.

FFer's have short memories................ when it suits!

BTW, Michael Martin is no republican.

edwin

Hurlers on the ditch shouting the odds. Why don't FF go north and play some senior hurling for a change? As ever, FF trying to appear to be doing something instead of actually doing something.
So you don't have anything to add on the actual contents of the article? Just some party political point scoring, how typical.

Bea C

Congratulations on FF's excellent results in the Assembly Elections.
What exactly is that supposed to mean?
I would regard it as a most constructive effort: sure, it's not perfect, but it's a contribution.
What makes it reflect especially well on Micheal Martin is the current inertia of the Taoiseach, the contrast between this and some meaningless crap about letting people who probably don't give a toss vote for some little-more-than-meaningless role in a big house.

TheWolf

Hurlers on the ditch shouting the odds. Why don't FF go north and play some senior hurling for a change? As ever, FF trying to appear to be doing something instead of actually doing something.
Didn't FF claim last year that they'd be running candidates in the next assembly elections?
How did that work out for them?

edwin

While it would be great news i dont see a united Ireland happening in the near future, its going to many more Years, before the nationalists substantialy, outnumber the unionist population.
That's actually the point. You need years to prepare for a successful referendum campaign. Look at the SNP and how they got bashed over the currency, EU membership etc. Let's get our sh1t together in advance.

edwin

Didn't FF claim last year that they'd be running candidates in the next assembly elections?
How did that work out for them?
Are you really that much of an idiot? They said they would run in locals in 2019 and the following Assembly election. Given nobody outside Mystic Meg thought that would be until 2021 that was fair enough.

edwin

What exactly is that supposed to mean?
I would regard it as a most constructive effort: sure, it's not perfect, but it's a contribution.
What makes it reflect especially well on Micheal Martin is the current inertia of the Taoiseach, the contrast between this and some meaningless crap about letting people who probably don't give a toss vote for some little-more-than-meaningless role in a big house.
This thread pretty quickly showed who cares more about party political bollox than being a republican. Several posts from the usual suspects and not an intelligent contribution yet. There are some actual republican shinner posters on here and I'm hoping for a decent debate with them.

TheWolf

So you don't have anything to add on the actual contents of the article? Just some party political point scoring, how typical.
Well, no.
I didn't see Gabha Oir dragging the son of a dead prison warden or a rape victim about the place like Michael Martin does.
Martin should stick to the silly game he's playing with FG.
That's his level.

Northsideman

A United Ireland in the EU means FA, we will just be a far off province to the Germans and French and EU law and EU courts will tell us what to do, United Ireland me bollix.

edwin

Well, no.
I didn't see Gabha Oir dragging the son of a dead prison warden or a rape victim about the place like Michael Martin does.
Martin should stick to the silly game he's playing with FG.
That's his level.
Yawn. Given you justified the murder of a prison officer for being 'a ****' anything Micheal Martin does would be about 50 levels higher than you.

Gabha Óir

The recent opinion polls have FF and FG spooked. First Kenny announces the referendum, and the next day, FF suddenly discover they're in favour of a United Ireland again. It's as cynical as their combined efforts to condemn SF for bringing down Foster during a confidence debate on Kenny. They must only consult SF haters in the north because they have failed repeatedly to establish any understanding of what makes the majority of their fellow Irish citizens in the north tick.

TheWolf

Are you really that much of an idiot? They said they would run in locals in 2019 and the following Assembly election. Given nobody outside Mystic Meg thought that would be until 2021 that was fair enough.
Yawn. Given you justified the murder of a prison officer for being 'a ****' anything Micheal Martin does would be about 50 levels higher than you.

This thread pretty quickly showed who cares more about party political bollox than being a republican. Several posts from the usual suspects and not an intelligent contribution yet.

That's the thing with FFailures, play the man, never the ball.

edwin

The recent opinion polls have FF and FG spooked. First Kenny announces the referendum, and the next day, FF suddenly discover they're in favour of a United Ireland again. It's as cynical as their combined efforts to condemn SF for bringing down Foster during a confidence debate on Kenny. They must only consult SF haters in the north because they have failed repeatedly to establish any understanding of what makes the majority of their fellow Irish citizens in the north tick.
Do you actually think you can make a United Ireland come quicker by instantly having a go at anyone who works towards it other than your beloved party? That is the sort of short sighted hackery that would be ultimately devastating for republicanism.

Why don't you read the article and actually give an informed opinion? Might hurt your wee head I guess.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies