• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

FF's hypocrisy on Garda cutbacks

Kerrygold

This week in the Dáil Fianna Fáil introduced a Private Members motion criticising cutbacks to An Garda Síochána.

Fair enough you say.

They refused a government request to pull the motion given the tragic death of Garda Donohue. FF declined stating that they had the support of Gardaí in their motion and that many stations are due to close this week.

Shatter criticises Martin for not cancelling debate following garda death

Fair enough you say.

But cast your minds back to nearly years 3 ago when FF's current justice spokesperson and then backbench TD Niall Collins called for the then outgoing president of the GRA to be fired from the force for a speech, which was not delivered, in which he planned to criticise the Government and Fianna Fáil for cutbacks to the Gardaí.

Call for removal of GRA president from force - RTÉ News

Now perhaps Michael O'Boyce's words were OTT but his speech, that never was, certainly put this weeks motion in a different light.

Fianna Fáil hypocrites?

Never!

GDPR

This week in the Dáil Fianna Fáil introduced a Private Members motion criticising cutbacks to An Garda Síochána.

Fair enough you say.

They refused a government request to pull the motion given the tragic death of Garda Donohue. FF declined stating that they had the support of Gardaí in their motion and that many stations are due to close this week.

Fair enough you say.

But cast your minds back to nearly years 3 ago when FF's current justice spokesperson and then backbench TD Niall Collins called for the then outgoing president of the GRA to be fired from the force for a speech, which was not delivered, in which he planned to criticise the Government and Fianna Fáil for cutbacks to the Gardaí.

Now perhaps Michael O'Boyce's words were OTT but his speech, that never was, certainly put this weeks motion in a different light.

Fianna Fáil hypocrites?

Never!
There is no connection at all, but fairs dues for trying.

fuque

I simply discount every iota that comes from a FF mouth.....period. However i think the GRA have far to much influence "generally" on policy making.

cricket

I simply discount every iota that comes from a FF mouth.....period. However i think the GRA have far to much influence "generally" on policy making.
I actually think they have very little influence, but they're very loud and don't appear to serve their members very well. Remember their whining about the Garda Reserve ? My understanding now is that the rank and file see the GR as a positive development.

tigerben

" it is morally wrong to tax a persons home " Enda Kenny
" ever little hurts" Labour

Hypocrisy is a opposition pass time!

statsman

I think we need a Fianna Fail hypocrisy Forum. Lest we forget.

borntorum

Ah now, I don't think a SFer is in any position to be lecturing anyone else about alleged hypocrisy when it comes to respect for An Garda Siochana

Maothail Lad

Saw this comment online on the comment section under an article on the Irish Independent website, thought it was worth copying....
Fianna fáil have some neck proposing any such debate given that “This government is implementing Fianna Fáil’s 2010 ‘National Recovery Plan’ when it comes to Garda cuts. Fianna Fáil agreed with the Troika to cut Garda numbers from 14,500 that year to 13,500 the following year, and to 13,000 in 2014, a total drop of 10%.“Fianna Fáil’s plan also stated that there would be €25m savings from unspecified Garda management efficiencies and €140m in overtime, allowances and transport costs, much of it within the force.. While I totally support there call for this debate and agree entirely that stations should be protected from closure, one has to look at there own position on this issue in the not to recent past. The reality is this call by FF is more populist electioneering. Fianna Fáil did not seem to concerned about downgrading of services while trying to maintain control of the last Government, in fact there justice spokesman tried his best to silence critics from the Garda Representative Association

Dunlin3

I'm not sure Niall Collins has a single brain cell so you can't take anything he says seriously anyway.

Maothail Lad

I'm not sure Niall Collins has a single brain cell so you can't take anything he says seriously anyway.
True but the fact that FG are copying commitments made by FF to the Troika and outlined in there National recovery plan show this whole charade up for what it is, populist electioneering=Basically old school FF politics,nothing changes

Rocky

Fair enough you say.

Fair enough you say.

Fianna Fáil hypocrites?

Never!
Kerrygold you haven't hit the extent of the hypocrisy.

In the agreemet between Fianna Fail and the Trokia, Fianna Fail signed up to reducing the force to at least 13,000 and signed up to a lower budget for the Gardaí than the current government are implementing. By the way there is about 13,4000 Gardaí at present, although that will be contiuned to be reduced

I don't think there could ever be a greater case of hypocrisy. The government are following through on Fianna Fail's agreement, although they have made it slightly better and then Fianna Fail are attacking them for that. Quite simply Fianna Fail are opposing themselves. You nearly couldn't make it up.

Popular Threads

Most Replies