• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

FG appoint Pat Spillane to head up rural Think Tank...

NewGoldDream

Website
-
...in a week when a few FG hacks were camped in a thread about a link between Darragh O'Se and FF, strange to hear so little from them about Pat Spillane getting the job as Chairperson of the Commission for the Economic Development of Rural Areas.

Pat to come up with game plan for rural boost - National News - Independent.ie

That would be the same former footballer who was linked to FG in a number of previous elections.

Now in fairness, I have heard him on the radio about this issue, and he seems passionate and thoughtful. And rural Ireland is getting a kicking, apologies for the pun. It's just that all the guffaws about the qualifications and suitability of former footballers and auctioneers from FG quarters...well now we have a job handed to a former footballer and publican by FG. I trust the remuneration is limited, he won't even have to face the electorate for it, and can't say I remember any invites for interviews...

kevfella

Sounds like a bull************************ job position that will achieve nothing to be honest. Maybe he will merge with the Healy-Rae's in taking over Kerry, not like there isn't much left unconquered.

Septic Frank

He hates Dublin and plays the eternal done down bogman.

This post could be right up his street.

DaveM

A school teacher? Should provide a fresh insight then...

SFInbhear

Read an article of his in the Sunday World where he was complaining about rural Ireland being left behind and the need for regeneration and calling for the government to introduce a Gregory like deal for rural areas. Not once did he mention the consistency of parish pump gombeens being returned to the Dail or tjhe waste of public funds to keep the village idiot independent onside!!!!

Man or Mouse

I hear they looked up every tree in North Dublin in search of a better candidate and none was found.

Boy M5

Spillane has got it in for the diaspora too

Spillane calls for London league axe

I seem to remember that a team called An Riocht used to play in London. I wonder where they were from?

Oh the irony, he hasn't got the cop on to work out where all those depopulated from rural Ireland ended up. He wants to pull up the drawbridge on them.

stopdoingstuff

I love Pat but there is no need for a Commission for the Economic Development of Rural Areas. Just cut rates and let people get on it with.

johnny365

...in a week when a few FG hacks were camped in a thread about a link between Darragh O'Se and FF, strange to hear so little from them about Pat Spillane getting the job as Chairperson of the Commission for the Economic Development of Rural Areas.

Pat to come up with game plan for rural boost - National News - Independent.ie

That would be the same former footballer who was linked to FG in a number of previous elections.

Now in fairness, I have heard him on the radio about this issue, and he seems passionate and thoughtful. And rural Ireland is getting a kicking, apologies for the pun. It's just that all the guffaws about the qualifications and suitability of former footballers and auctioneers from FG quarters...well now we have a job handed to a former footballer and publican by FG. I trust the remuneration is limited, he won't even have to face the electorate for it, and can't say I remember any invites for interviews...
We all know FF and FG are as gombeen as each other and they both love nepotism. I wonder are they trying to out do each other and see who can get the most ex GAA players on board!!!

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

First sentence of the article...

HE is best known for his fast-talking analysis on 'The Sunday Game', but Pat Spillane says the new rural think tank he's heading up won't be a talking shop.
Second sentence...

The GAA legend will travel the country listening to ideas from people in his role as head of the Government's new policy body on economic development in rural Ireland.

...but it won't be a talking shop...

Boy M5

I think I won't renew my subscription to the Phoenix.
Enda Kenny is far better at satire than anyone else in ths country.
Thing is, he's doing it unintentionally.

Eoin Coir

Paidi O Sé must feel left out. He was on as many boards as Michael Flatley, thanks to the Bull.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Paidi O Sé must feel left out. He was on as many boards as Michael Flatley, thanks to the Bull.
Interesting that you would compare FG policy with that of a former FF TD when it comes to appointments to boards.

Hardly a great defence.

What do you think of the topic, this selection by FG of one of their own? Do you think his career as a footballer and publican gives him a good grounding to head up a group? How many were interviewed or again will you say it's no worse than FF administrations of the past?

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Not at all.

It'll be a listening shop!
Oh... okay...

Like one of those forums, travelling from place to place and holding a court, were no-one talks or makes decisions but everyone listens...

...I see.

Schuhart

The commission will look specifically at where jobs can be created outside of farms, so is expected to examine sectors like tourism, food production and small businesses.
Which sounds like exactly the same-old, same-old that we've had for decades.

When do they start admitting that the problem isn't lack of State support?

Take some soundbites from the 1999 White Paper on rural development
7. Employment; Maintenance and Creation - Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine

An economically efficient agriculture sector and diversification into on-farm and off-farm activities, together with recognition of the multi-functional role of farmers, are essential components of the development of the rural economy.

Rural areas are dependent on both external investment and the development of indigenous resources for income and employment creation opportunities. Policy must address the challenge of ensuring that a significant proportion of new manufacturing and, more particularly, service sector jobs are located in rural areas.

No single sector offers the solution to the economic problems of rural areas. <...>

The following policy areas are particularly important in sustaining employment, creating new opportunities and in assisting rural communities to prosper

<...>Agriculture is, and will remain in future, critical to the well being of the rural economy and, in many areas, represents the main option for economic activity. Maintenance of a healthy agriculture sector is, therefore, an essential component of a comprehensive rural development strategy.<...> The Government is committed to ensuring support for the maximum number of family farms.<...> On the basis of current trends, off-farm income will be central to the survival of many farm families. <...>As indicated in the Food Industry Development Group Report (1998), this sector will maximise its potential through attention to competitiveness and market orientation. <...> The Government is committed to exploiting the potential of Ireland's indigenous resources.<...>Enhancing income and employment opportunities in rural areas requires a creative strategy to provide the environment which is conducive to innovation and risk-taking, to attract investment, stimulate entrepreneurship, support existing businesses, establish new firms, create new products and implement better business practices.<...>Enterprise Ireland is committed to developing indigenous industry to play a strong role in regional economic development. <...> The Government is committed to promoting an enterprising culture in rural areas, to creating the conditions for investment, encouraging and supporting local enterprise and attracting inward investment in order to provide the maximum number of income and employment opportunities.<...>In many cases, job creation in rural areas will continue to rely largely on small/medium scale developments, which given their scale, are more appropriate to employment creation in rural areas. Initiatives to promote small scale and local employment opportunities will continue as an important element of Government policy. <...>Tourism, and marine and rural tourism in particular, is playing an increasingly important role in the economy of rural areas and has considerable potential for further development.Tourism can be a powerful instrument of regional policy and, being locally based and available even to the most remote rural areas, offers significant jobs and income opportunities.
So what's new? What new policy will be different to that set out in 1999?

How is it that no-one seems to notice when exactly the same old bollockology is spouted afresh?

Eoin Coir

Interesting that you would compare FG policy with that of a former FF TD when it comes to appointments to boards.

Hardly a great defence.

What do you think of the topic, this selection by FG of one of their own? Do you think his career as a footballer and publican gives him a good grounding to head up a group? How many were interviewed or again will you say it's no worse than FF administrations of the past?
Who never said he was one of their own ? Surely if he was they would have run him in Kerry South when they used have no seat there,and difficulty with finding good candidates.