FG are setting up a branch in Queens Uni Belfast. FG the Republican party not FF ?

hollandia

I doubt it - though maybe the Irish Labour Party would move in to take them, they are technically in the same grouping as the SDLP.
You're making the assumption that the SDLP is a homogeneous block, in the way that SF or the Irish Labour party is - it isn't. There are about four SDLPs - one aligned with Irish Labour, one pro FF, one pro FG and a smaller one which would be more aligned with SF, but which had issues with violence so went SDLP instead.

They're largely a middle class party, so FG and Labour would be the more likely.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
You're making the assumption that the SDLP is a homogeneous block, in the way that SF or the Irish Labour party is - it isn't. There are about four SDLPs - one aligned with Irish Labour, one pro FF, one pro FG and a smaller one which would be more aligned with SF, but which had issues with violence so went SDLP instead.

They're largely a middle class party, so FG and Labour would be the more likely.
The LP are a lame duck and may well have only 5 seats or less after the next Dail election. SDLP might have been attracted to hook up with them when LP had 30+ seats, doubt if there would be too many SDLPers wanting to align with a sinking ship now.

hollandia

The LP are a lame duck and may well have only 5 seats or less after the next Dail election. SDLP might have been attracted to hook up with them when LP had 30+ seats, doubt if there would be too many SDLPers wanting to align with a sinking ship now.
Off the top of my head - Claire Hannah - one of their more prominent and able members was very anti FF recently, and then filmed attending the ILP conference. She represents a sizeable cohort of that party.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
That wouldn’t be anything new from Suirview.
Noticeable how the great FFers the 'Republican' party are almost absent from the discussion !! Jayus from dominating Irish politics to barely able to cobble a few gombeens to stand up for them, oh how the mighty have fallen :D

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Off the top of my head - Claire Hannah - one of their more prominent and able members was very anti FF recently, and then filmed attending the ILP conference. She represents a sizeable cohort of that party.
True enough, she must be hoping to get into the Senate like the lovely Mairia Cahill !!

Paddy{ie

FG still call themselves the United Ireland party, and in the last couple of years in particular have completely outflanked FF on "greenness".
Mmmmmm. Just wondering why there isn’t an answer on the questions below. Asked one of them twice, and one of them once.

Just in case you missed it, I asked you up-thread the following.......
“Would FG run candidates in UK parliamentary elections if they establish themselves in NI? And if so, if elected, would they (theFG United Ireland party) swear allegiance to the Queen?”

Followed up by
“if you can’t answer that, could you answer this? Would you support FG candidates, if successful getting elected to UK Parliament, swearing allegiance to the Queen?.”

For someone who has a view on how FG are outflanking FF on greenness, could you confirm what the FG Party position is on FG members swearing allegiance to the Queen if they got elected to the UK Parliament, or failing that, your own opinion on the same, should any FG members ever get elected to the UK House Of Parliament?

hiding behind a poster

Mmmmmm. Just wondering why there isn’t an answer on the questions below. Asked one of them twice, and one of them once.
If you asked me, then the most likely reason is the fact that not having been on this thread since, I wouldn't have seen them.

Just in case you missed it, I asked you up-thread the following.......
“Would FG run candidates in UK parliamentary elections if they establish themselves in NI?
I don't know. But I'd suspect not. You're leaping several steps ahead from organising one branch in one university, but I'd reckon any FG presence in Northern Ireland elections would be for local politics only.

And if so, if elected, would they (theFG United Ireland party) swear allegiance to the Queen?”
Well as I said above, I think it would be a highly unlikely scenario. I can't see FG running in Westminster elections.

Followed up by
“if you can’t answer that, could you answer this? Would you support FG candidates, if successful getting elected to UK Parliament, swearing allegiance to the Queen?.”
I can't see any reason why FG would, or should, run in Westminster elections. So I'd oppose them running in the first place.

For someone who has a view on how FG are outflanking FF on greenness, could you confirm what the FG Party position is on FG members swearing allegiance to the Queen if they got elected to the UK Parliament, or failing that, your own opinion on the same, should any FG members ever get elected to the UK House Of Parliament?
If you want the FG position on something, I suggest you ask FG. But I doubt they'd have a position on something that they've no plans to do.

Paddy{ie

If you asked me, then the most likely reason is the fact that not having been on this thread since, I wouldn't have seen them.

I don't know. But I'd suspect not. You're leaping several steps ahead from organising one branch in one university, but I'd reckon any FG presence in Northern Ireland elections would be for local politics only.

Well as I said above, I think it would be a highly unlikely scenario. I can't see FG running in Westminster elections.

I can't see any reason why FG would, or should, run in Westminster elections. So I'd oppose them running in the first place.

If you want the FG position on something, I suggest you ask FG. But I doubt they'd have a position on something that they've no plans to do.
Thanks for your honest answers. The reason I asked you those questions was that I believed you had access to the inner circle or at least the thinking FG.

hiding behind a poster

Thanks for your honest answers. The reason I asked you those questions was that I believed you had access to the inner circle or at least the thinking FG.
Well I don't. As I keep telling people, I'm a grassroots, volunteer member of Fine Gael. As for "FG thinking", we're a party of over 20,000 members - we think lots of different things about virtually everything.

Paddy{ie

Well I don't. As I keep telling people, I'm a grassroots, volunteer member of Fine Gael. As for "FG thinking", we're a party of over 20,000 members - we think lots of different things about virtually everything.
Fair points

Degeneration X

I doubt it was under John Bruton as the Peace Process was only in the early days by 1997 and I don't think he would would have made such a decision at the time as it would have been perceived to be threatening Unionists- I don't even think that the Conservative Party were standing candidates in NI elections then were they?
The Tories did stand candidates in 1997, in about three constituencies. Which was strange as the UUP MPs always took the Torie whip in Westminster.

Fr. Ted Crilly

Will the blueshirts be running candidates in the 6 counties in the upcoming local and Euro elections?

Is a FG/DUP merger on the horizon?

raetsel

I've been really encouraged by the Lucid Talk polls over the last while. As a clarification though- are they carried out similarly to the polls that are carried out in the South? I seem to recall from their Twitter page that they "ask people to get involved" in the polls which may lead to a lot more politicized people taking part in them which may distort the results. I hope that perception I have of them is not accurate.
Not entirely sure of the methodology involved but they have a good record of accuracy. On their front page they make the point that they predicted the Northern Ireland EU Referendum result to within 1% and forecast the Northern Ireland Assembly Election 2017 results also to within 1%. They claim that their methodology gets more honest responses from 'shy' nationalists, which has always been a problem area for polling companies.