FG critical of FAS underspend: WTF?

gijoe

FG criticised the government for underspending €5million on FAS apprentices. The reduced spending is because of less apprentices enrolled. I mean WTF? Like what the country really needs at the moment is more blocklayers and carpenters for the dole or emigration.

We had the same yesterday when there was criticism of an underspend in the Expectional Needs Payments scheme by Community Welfare Officers. Will someone tell the opposition that we are borrowing €19billion this year and this is not free money we are handing out FFS! :mad:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1201/fas.html

White Horse

Fine Gael are concerned that 7,000 apprentices are unable to finish their apprenticeships.

I think this is a valid concern and your hysterical over-reaction is ridiculous.

stanley

At a guess they are preparing to put together golden handshake packages for Greg Craig and Christy Cooney and the 5m will do for a starter.

dgeraghty

Would be better off cutting welfare and put the funding in retraining programs or work share programmers.
But that would have wasted valuable time put in by FAS and the apprentices up to this point. Surely it would make sense to at least finish their qualifications?

RahenyFG

I think FG is concerned about the underspend because money is simply not being spent in the right areas. We spend billions bailing our doomed banks but spend zilch or nothing on helping the unemployed upskill.

macs magic

I think FG is concerned about the underspend because money is simply not being spent in the right areas. We spend billions bailing our doomed banks but spend zilch or nothing on helping the unemployed upskill.
so you agree we need more brickies.typical fine gael.that should help them get jobs alright.the 5 mill would be better spent on the apprentices starting new courses in something they might actually get a job in

RahenyFG

so you agree we need more brickies.typical fine gael.that should help them get jobs alright.the 5 mill would be better spent on the apprentices starting new courses in something they might actually get a job in
That's what I was part-implying. FAS needs a kick up the arse. Have you ever dealt with them? they deliberately try their best to make sure you don't get a course because of how many people there is now on FAS courses and the fact the government can't afford it.

Expose the lot of them

The apprentices who are unable to complete their training programmes are the ones who will be on the dole. Those who qualify will at least have the option of emigration available to them.

Apprenticship programmes should not be completely discontinued just because there is a excess of those skills currently available. We need to learn the lesson of past recessions when due to the cancellation of certain training programmes a skills shortage existed when the economy improved.

This also applies to University degree programmes, a case in point is the oil industry which is cyclical. When the industry was at the bottom of the cycle the numbers taking Petroleum Engineer degrees dropped to such a degree that when the upturn came there was a worldwide shortage of Petroleum & Drilling engineers and were able to name their price. Architects, Civil Engineers and Quantity Surveyors could find themselves in the same position in a few years time.

New Threads