FG/FF in new Coalition pact

Justa Thought

The new politics that was introduced in 2016 is to be continued if FF raise their seat count and they get more seats than FG in the next General Election. FG will enter a Confidence and Supply pact with FF. If FG get more seats than FF and the two parties go on to form a Government will they still call it Confidence and Supply or will they acknowledge its a Coalition. The bottom line is that a vote for FF is a vote for FG and a vote for FG is a vote for FF. That should keep the others at less than 50% or will it? Should make an interesting election campaign.

Round tower

The new politics that was introduced in 2016 is to be continued if FF raise their seat count and they get more seats than FG in the next General Election. FG will enter a Confidence and Supply pact with FF. If FG get more seats than FF and the two parties go on to form a Government will they still call it Confidence and Supply or will they acknowledge its a Coalition. The bottom line is that a vote for FF is a vote for FG and a vote for FG is a vote for FF. That should keep the others at less than 50% or will it? Should make an interesting election campaign.
NO

NYCKY

A FG/FF or even a FF/FG coalition is unlikely but it ultimately depends on the Dail arithmetic. Some kind of rainbow alliance is more likely, that said, to paraphrase Mary Hannafin, Fianna - Fail must be sick of being in opposition, even the worst day in Government is better than the best day in opposition, so you never know what deal gets agreed.

I doubt many people thought the current Government would last as long as it did, particularly given the change of Taoiseach. Some of it of course is unintended consequences from Brexit.

Baron von Biffo

A FG/FF or even a FF/FG coalition is unlikely but it ultimately depends on the Dail arithmetic. Some kind of rainbow alliance is more likely, that said, to paraphrase Mary Hannafin, Fianna - Fail must be sick of being in opposition, even the worst day in Government is better than the best day in opposition, so you never know what deal gets agreed.

I doubt many people thought the current Government would last as long as it did, particularly given the change of Taoiseach. Some of it of course is unintended consequences from Brexit.
Wrong Mary. Harney, not Hanafin.

Dame_Enda

There's no difference between them in my eyes so they might as well. I think the last time they failed to agree to a formal Coalition because they are essentially status-quo, systemic parties that need to control both government and Opposition to control not only the government, but also the agenda.

NYCKY

Wrong Mary. Harney, not Hanafin.

Actually it was Hanafin but she said it about Labour and the Greens, so we're both wrong. :D

Election 2007: FF heading for third term

Attention is already turning to the formation of the next Government, with the Minister for Education Mary Hanafin ruling out a Fianna Fáil coalition with Sinn Féin.

She said an arrangement with the Greens or Labour was possible, as both of those parties must be 'sick' of being in Opposition.

midlander12

I'm not sure 'interesting' is the first word that comes to mind.

Anyway I think the first option will be for one or both of the main parties to try and form some sort of coalition with Indos, Lab, the Greens and the SD's, or some combination thereof. Failing that, and particularly if FF are the largest party, I think another C&S pact is likely. I don't see a formal coalition. This would have the effect of making Mary Lou McD or her successor the Leader of the Opposition, at a time when SF are by all appearances on the run electorally.

SuirView

Imagine how 'sick' SF must feel now so, 12 years later and little further on! At least Lab and the Greens have both been in govt since then.
I told ye years ago,
A vote for poor SF is a wasted vote!
Will ye now agree?

midlander12

Sound,
Do you agree that voting for poor SF is a wasted vote?
I really couldn't care less whether it's wasted or not. What does that even mean? My only view SF is that I don't want them to get into govt in the South.

People have a perfect right to vote for them if they want to. I think it's unlikely they will form part of a govt within the next 5 years at least, so in that limited sense a vote for them is a 'wasted' vote.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies