• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

FG insist - No Tallaght Strategy II

Baron von Biffo

Just heard on RTE news now that FG has issued a statement saying it will not offer another Tallaght Strategy arrangement to FF.

Despite having pretty much identical policies they've said they wont repeat the Dukes deal because, as Kenny honestly put it on Friday, 'Last time it cost FG votes.'

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
On this, FG are completely correct.

I do think there is serious merit in a Tallaght 2 type strategy, but only after an election, and let the people decide who will drive it.

slippy wicket

Why would they support a policy that they think is foolish, implemented by incompetents. FF should be hounded continually until they are out of office.

hiding behind a poster

Just heard on RTE news now that FG has issued a statement saying it will not offer another Tallaght Strategy arrangement to FF.

Despite having pretty much identical policies they've said they wont repeat the Dukes deal because, as Kenny honestly put it on Friday, 'Last time it cost FG votes.'
Their policies aren't identical. On jobs, FG have NewEra while FF have a photoshoot. On healthcare, FG have FairCare while FF have Mary Harney. Anyway, there's more to politics than policy. FF have shown themselves to be utterly incompetent in government - and as part of the problem, they can't be part of the solution.

hiding behind a poster

On this, FG are completely correct.

I do think there is serious merit in a Tallaght 2 type strategy, but only after an election, and let the people decide who will drive it.
You know FF as well as I do, Rock - the second they're in Opposition, it'll be like Tallaght Strategy 1 never even happened.

super pedestrian

Proper order.
Let FF linger on and allow the public to see them for the incompetent, economically illiterate tools that they are.

turdsl

Nobody will join Fianna Fail, not even the rosary, the old saying, They must be shunned. This government must be removed and an election called now.

turdsl

Proper order.
Let FF linger on and allow the public to see them for the incompetent, economically illiterate tools that they are.

I believe the whole world knows that now. Somebody has to take over, Our country and our people cannot take any more. They deserve better.

corelli

There is a complete misunderstanding of what Tallaght I encompassed. It was FF accepting and implementing FG policies in relation to taxation, amongst other things, and said policies were completely different from the FF policies at the time. This was done in exchange for supporting a FF MINORITY Government, and done in order to get the country out of a hole, in the national interest, as the old, over used, saying goes.

What seems to be envisaged here is that FG simply accede to FF policy, a policy created by a failed and obviously incompetent Government, in the main, who have a majority, though slim, and coming to the end of their term.

Now, WHY ON EARTH, should FG do that.

hiding behind a poster

There is a complete misunderstanding of what Tallaght I encompassed. It was FF accepting and implementing FG policies in relation to taxation, amongst other things, and said policies were completely different from the FF policies at the time. This was done in exchange for supporting a FF MINORITY Government, and done in order to get the country out of a hole, in the national interest, as the old, over used, saying goes.

What seems to be envisaged here is that FG simply accede to FF policy, a policy created by a failed and obviously incompetent Government, in the main, who have a majority, though slim, and coming to the end of their term.

Excellent post.

slippy wicket

Concise and to the point.
Well done.

punchdrunk

You sum it up brilliantly. Some journalists who speak about the Tallaght strategy were in nappies at the time. They certainly misrepresent the concept.

wombat

FF have shown themselves to be utterly incompetent in government - and as part of the problem, they can't be part of the solution.
Says it all.
Regarding Sir Anthony & his lap dogs - to quote Mr Gogarty - FU2

farnaby

It was reported in an underhand way by RTE at 9pm. They led by highlighting Enda's supposed "there's not votes in it" reasoning, followed by the 'more sophisticated' front bench statement which outlined very well why things are different this time. Shame.

Baron von Biffo

If they were willing to keep a minority FF government in power rather than bring them down and succeed them, why go through the motions of opposing a majority FF government when they're in broad agreement on policy?

wombat

It was reported in an underhand way by RTE at 9pm. They led by highlighting Enda's supposed "there's not votes in it" reasoning, followed by the 'more sophisticated' front bench statement which outlined very well why things are different this time. Shame.
I noticed that, thought it was a bit of editorialising but passed it off as my prejudice.

Baron von Biffo

Why do you say it's underhand? Kenny let the cat out of the bag and the FB are trying to spin it back in. It's not as if it's the first time that's happened.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
in fairness, the initial response was the only one for about 24 hours or more, and was spectacularly inept (I nearly pinched myself when I read it). not being holier than thou, but to say it out loud....!

culmore

The job of the opposation is to oppose the Government, and they should have a different way of doing things, and at present that should not be hard as the policies of the present lot are a disaster