FG Manifesto will deliver a better Ireland - Kenny

wexfordman

L'Chaim said:
And now Enda concedes that all his election promises cannot be delivered before the next election (2012). So much for his 'contract with the people', where he pledged that he wouldn't stand as taoiseach if he failed to deliver on his promises. Someone must have explained to him that his promises were unrealistic and he's now looking for a get out clause.

What confuses me is the ambiguity in some of the policies. For example, and reading the independent today, som interesting questions came up, for example:-

1) Free GP visits for all children under 5 ? Apparantly, according to the indo, this is not deleiverable, or if you look at the small print, is not quite what it looks to be. FG are proposing to phase it in, but long story short, the gist was that no child alive today will be elegiable for free gp visits based on how fg have budgeted for this, and how they plan to phase it in.

2) Free Health insurance for under 16's. Basically, why ?, One one hand we have the opposition lambasting the current government over its plans to privatise the health service, and then they turn around and say they will provide every child under 16 with health insurance ? How is this proposed, and how does this make sense ? What problem are they actually trying to solve with this proposal and how is this going to solve it ?
This one in particular reminds me of the infamous fg pledge from the last election that they woudl pay 1000 euros towards first time car insurers.

I may have the wrong impresssion of these two items above, so feel free to calrify, but would be interested in getting some response in any form (except the all too common attacks without real answers).

Wexfordman

Rocky

wexfordman said:
1) Free GP visits for all children under 5 ? Apparantly, according to the indo, this is not deleiverable, or if you look at the small print, is not quite what it looks to be. FG are proposing to phase it in, but long story short, the gist was that no child alive today will be elegiable for free gp visits based on how fg have budgeted for this, and how they plan to phase it in.
First thing I wouldn't take the Indo too seriously when it comes to FG policy. It's clearly in favour of FF. Now I honestly don't know about the budgeting for it. You'd have to as someone who knows a lot more then me or I'd say anyone who posts on this site. However it is part of Enda's contract and he's promised that he will deliver all of his contract in 5 years and if nothing else if he doesn't deliver on his contract he will be leaving FG wide open for attack in 5 years by FF and the media so there is a lot of pressure on him to deliver that contract so I wouldn't believe that it isn't possible to bring in it within five years and therefore Children who are born in the last year will at least benefit for it. However these things take time to bring in and if it was done instantly the system would probably collapse or something along those lines.

2) Free Health insurance for under 16's. Basically, why ?, One one hand we have the opposition lambasting the current government over its plans to privatise the health service, and then they turn around and say they will provide every child under 16 with health insurance ? How is this proposed, and how does this make sense ? What problem are they actually trying to solve with this proposal and how is this going to solve it ?
This one in particular reminds me of the infamous fg pledge from the last election that they woudl pay 1000 euros towards first time car insurers
Now once again sadly I'm not an expert. In the long-term FG and Labour intend to bring in a Universal Health Insurance system that is the system used in most European countries and is shown over time to be the best health system. In 2002 FG promised that they would deliver Universal Health Insurance for all if elected. Now in 2002 they were rightly attacked on this in that the system wouldn't be able to cope with and would collapse. The plan now is the phase in over time and the first part of that is giving it to Under 16’s. If elected this time and given the chance to bring in Free Health Insurance for Under 16's then in 2012 they will be promising free health insurance for all or something along those lines. Now I'm not sure how Universal Health Insurance works, so I can't help you there.

Analyzer

Well, it has become a lot better for tax non domicile billionaires.....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies