FG Minister seeks passports of twitter/facebook users

Dame_Enda

Minister for Older People at the Department of An Taoiseach, Jim Daly TD, has called for new laws to force members of Facebook and Twitter to hand over their passports, to stop online-bullying. He has written to the EU Commission to seek such laws.

Similar laws exist in Russia where bloggers with over 100,000 followers are required to register. Its imperative that this be rejected.

So is this government policy or just a solo-run by a very conservative FG minister?

stopdoingstuff

This is literally like something from China. He should resign.

Congalltee

What’s with the misleading headline in the

What he said:
“One such method I would encourage would be the introduction of a cross-check with a social security number as per the Irish public service card, which would confirm a person's date of birth, or a passport number in order to create an account," he said.

The_SR

I'm not convinced you have a right to anonymity on line. A genuine complaints procedure that can result in sanctions for bullying might put manners on people.

Dame_Enda

What’s with the misleading headline in the

What he said:
“One such method I would encourage would be the introduction of a cross-check with a social security number as per the Irish public service card, which would confirm a person's date of birth, or a passport number in order to create an account," he said.
Its the road to totalitarianism if the political elite can find out who criticised them online. We're not just talking about libel we are talking about everything. The contacting of the EU Commission on this is especially disturbing given trends in some EU states towards censorship.

Recall a Labour Senator put forward a bill before the last election that was also presented as tackling online bullying, but which would have made it a crime to say anything that caused "distress". (maybe like Labour down to 6 seats?). It seems she was being criticised online.

Last edited:

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
I bet there were no passports mentioned when █████ █'█████ clandestinely funded Fine Gael. Besides ████ is a total ███████ and should go ████ ██████.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Can I be the first to say "if you've nothing to hide"?

That was the defence over on the public services card, thread...

Dame_Enda

Its the first step to criminalisation of political differences imho (the story, not the PS card per se).

For example, Israel is threatening German protesters against the Occupation with 'we know where you live' type messages on Facebook.

https://twitter.com/intifada/status/942884596936519683

More
"We know who you are, where you are and how we can bring you to justice. We determine time and place. Live in fear!" - Israeli army Major Arye Sharuz Shalicar to German protesters

stopdoingstuff

I'm not convinced you have a right to anonymity on line. A genuine complaints procedure that can result in sanctions for bullying might put manners on people.
Or prevent unpopular opinions being aired, but who cares about that? If there is one thing we have learned about politicians, they would never abuse their power and are totally not the type to give into "outrage". And it is not as if all around the world, "hate speech" laws are being used to silence criticism. No, nothing to worry about at all and I totally trust my betters to monitor everyone at all times.

Henry94.

Great idea. It will kill off Facebook and Twitter forcing us to take our grievances on to the streets. About time.

General Urko

Minister for Older People at the Department of An Taoiseach, Jim Daly TD, has called for new laws to force members of Facebook and Twitter to hand over their passports, to stop online-bullying. He has written to the EU Commission to seek such laws.

Similar laws exist in Russia where bloggers with over 100,000 followers are required to register. Its imperative that this be rejected.

So is this government policy or just a solo-run by a very conservative FG minister?
It's just buffoonery! Always remember the Blueshirt roots from The 1930s and you won't go to far wrong!

gleeful

Youd be mad to trust Twitter or Facebook with your passport details. They'd be hacked within days making the whole system pointless.

The_SR

Or prevent unpopular opinions being aired, but who cares about that? If there is one thing we have learned about politicians, they would never abuse their power and are totally not the type to give into "outrage". And it is not as if all around the world, "hate speech" laws are being used to silence criticism. No, nothing to worry about at all and I totally trust my betters to monitor everyone at all times.
John from Dublin says Irish water us a disaster and he won't pay.

What will the deep state do with this information?

Dame_Enda

It's just buffoonery! Always remember the Blueshirt roots from The 1930s and you won't go to far wrong!
Yes but its not just FG. Remember that the Labour Senator last year wanted prison for people who say something "distressing" online. Then FF called for a disclosure of names of political advertisers online. Now there's this. So its another reminder of the cosy consensus that you can get with political parties and the whip system. Better to vote Independent and keep the parties on a leash.

Niall996

Dame_Enda

How did the Germans government respond?
With silence. Ironically he (the Israeli Major) served in the German army in the 1990s.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies