FG Minister seeks passports of twitter/facebook users

jmcc

To quote the Blues Brothers: I hate Illinois Nazis.

Sync

Not sure why you'd focus on Facebook/Twitter and not include the Independent/Evening Echo/Politics.ie/Today FM.

Anonymous speech is important and shouldn't be curtailed. Treat the websites as publishers if your problem is that there's illegal activity taking place on those sites.

Dame_Enda

Not sure why you'd focus on Facebook/Twitter and not include the Independent/Evening Echo/Politics.ie/Today FM.

Anonymous speech is important and shouldn't be curtailed. Treat the websites as publishers if your problem is that there's illegal activity taking place on those sites.
Establishment newspapers are more likely to toe the line which is why they mightnt be eager to go after them as much.

Leandrai

Last edited:
Last edited:
Simple answer:
http://www.telegram.org like everybody else who "benefits" from the impact of a totalitarian regime in their lives.

Having to use real names online is already at the point where it can directly endanger people. So he'd better hadn't be suggesting that as well. Identity theft didn't just go away you know...

BTW I am say all the above as someone who came out fully under my own name as a former sex worker and has everything linked to my real name ("Leandrai" is an ID I have used online since 2003 and my signature links to my real name) but yes, as someone with an unusual name there ARE some issues I am involved in that I would rather not pop up to the casual google by a casual aquaintance!

Niall996

With silence. Ironically he (the Israeli Major) served in the German army in the 1990s.
That seems very lame. If any foreign Government spokesperson threatened Irish citizens, a) I would expect the Government to respond, B) I'd expect our media to jump all over the government if they didn't respond and C) I'd expect the citizenry to jump all over the government if they didn't respond. No response from the German authorities is very peculiar. Are they all at a Brexit meeting?

showbandmanager

Its the road to totalitarianism if the political elite can find out who criticised them online. We're not just talking about libel we are talking about everything. The contacting of the EU Commission on this is especially disturbing given trends in some EU states towards censorship.

Recall a Labour Senator put forward a bill before the last election that was also presented as tackling online bullying, but which would have made it a crime to say anything that caused "distress". (maybe like Labour down to 6 seats?). It seems she was being criticised online.
You could'nt make this sh*t up ................ Trump/Bannon fan complains about 'the road to totalitarianism'

enuffisenuff

Minister for Older People at the Department of An Taoiseach, Jim Daly TD, has called for new laws to force members of Facebook and Twitter to hand over their passports, to stop online-bullying. He has written to the EU Commission to seek such laws.
lol

Spirit Of Newgrange

Last edited:
Last edited:
in a 'republic' you have free speech. That FG minister should go off to the kingdom of Saudi arabia if he doesnt like it here.

remember the terrorist murderers at the Charlie Hebdo massacre all shouting the names of various journalists ? next time you criticise islam for its stance on Gay people ( with your name included ) you will risk getting butchered ? non merci.

Finbar10

Hopefully just a daft solo run. AFAIA China is the primary country that has really attempted to do this (though it's not even that easy for them to enforce this) and probably not for reasons of online bullying etc. (though I'm sure it shows up in Russia and other authoritarian regimes in weaker forms).

China is quite inventive is harnessing social media to the purposes of social control/engineering. A new manifestation there are social credit rankings (a recent article in Wired described this). For example, with the ubiquitous Alibaba there (holds for other similar companies also), users (using their national ID) can sign up for a social credit ranking, which factors in the wide range of consumption buying patterns available about the user, plus all kinds of other government databases (don't pay off a fine on time, then your score goes down, or if you fall foul of the government, your score also plummets). You score also depends on the kinds of friends who are in your network. So someone whose score falls may find himself being de-friended. Those with high scores get access to special deals and ready credit. Very clever way of harnessing social media to incentivize behaviour favourable to the regime (integates all kinds of databases about the user, private and public).

Dame_Enda

It's the Electronic Intifada. Fake news.
Nope. A lot of its writers are Jewish. It always sources its stories with links to well respected news sites.

Clanrickard

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Never heard of him and going by the sort of stuff he views as being important I can see why.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

To stop online bullying.
You know how you stop online bullying?

Don't go onto social media sites - they are bad for you anyway. Its like saying 'oh the kids are being bullied when buying cigarettes'.

Really? Well maybe don't allow them buy cigarettes; and no, social media is not as physically harmful as cigarettes - mentally, the jury is still out as it is so new. Suffice to say, it is (by design) incredibly addictive.

Peoples right to be anonymous online far outweighs the occasional bout of bullying and if the cops really wanted to (or Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or the rest) they could find and prosecute offenders within the framework of existing laws.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom