• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

FG ‘orchestrating smear campaign against Ahern’

Maximus

Fianna Fáil yesterday accused Fine Gael of running a “dirty tricks” campaign following the publication of fresh allegations about the personal finances of Taoiseach Bertie Ahern.

Several senior sources in FF said Mr Ahern was being targeted by a smear campaign orchestrated by FG.

A senior Fianna Fáil source, speaking with the authority of the leadership, made a cutting reference to the FG slogan ‘A Contract for a Better Ireland’.

“The only contract Enda Kenny is interested in is a contract on Bertie Ahern,” said the source.

Irish Examiner

The Trinity Politick

And Fine Gael have done what exactly?

hiding behind a poster

:roll: So presumably FF/Ahern will be suing the member of An Garda Siochana who made the allegation for libel, Maximus?

Biffo

hiding behind a poster said:
:roll: So presumably FF/Ahern will be suing the member of An Garda Siochana who made the allegation for libel, Maximus?
What allegation, whats this all about?

dail usher

The Trinity Politick said:
Did you not hear FG's Jim Higgins MEP on Sam Smith on Today FM on Sunday mornng -- he kept saying that his job was done now that the matter was in the public domain....

He also said that he had told Enda Kenny about the allegation last year - yet Enda never mentioned it in the Dail during the height of the Bertiegate row last year. When asked why Enda had failed to mention it Higgins suggested that it may have slipped Enda's mind.

Why would he do that? Could it be that be Enda and FG were possibly saving it up for use at a later point - when it could more damage??

Maximus

Enda Kenny & Jim Higgins are lying bastards

Enda Kenny & Jim Higgins sat on this story for 7 years, only to release it a month out from an election in a desperate attempt to destroy Bertie Ahern's character. The story is bullshit and the public will see right through their dirty smear tactics!

The Trinity Politick

I don't get the angle of this. Fine Gael are orchestrating a smear campaign........because a Journalist for the Sunday Independent has written an article involving Senator Jim Higgins who in response to his impending roll in front of a tribunal requested information about communication he had with the tribunals lawyers 7 years previous.

Isn't he right to do that? And if asked, why was he going to lie about it? He was asked, and the journalist was already told the story. I don't get how this is FG's fault whatsoever. Sort your own house out FF and stop trying to be the precious victim.

The Trinity Politick

Re: Enda Kenny & Jim Higgins are lying bastards

Maximus said:
Enda Kenny & Jim Higgins sat on this story for 7 years, only to release it a month out from an election in a desperate attempt to destroy Bertie Ahern's character. The story is bullshit and the public will see right through their dirty smear tacticts!
Well no, they didnt sit on it. Im sure FG hear all sorts of rumours. Hell, they were around when Haugheys GUBU government was in full swing and even veteran journalists didn't believe those chestnuts- even though some proved to be true.

Kenny didnt say anything because maybe there wasn't specific evidence then as there is now. I haven't a clue. And Maximus...how the hell do you know that its not true? It could be. How could you possibly know.

Would i be surprised? Not really. I haven't a clue whats going on over in FF HQ, but blaming this on FG is hilarious

TELL HIM TO SUE INDPENDENT NEWSPAPERS!!!!!

The Analyser

Maximus said:
Enda Kenny & Jim Higgins sat on this story for 7 years, only to release it a month out from an election in a desperate attempt to destroy Bertie Ahern's character. The story is bullshit and the public will see right through their dirty smear tactics!
Talk about paranoia. :roll: The facts are simple:

- a guard made an allegation to one of the TDs who had been at the forefront of reporting corrupt activities to the tribunals.
- the media were aware of the allegation.
- the allegation is going to feature in the tribunals.
- the opposition left it up to the tribunals to investigate it.
- The Sunday Independent, and Ireland on Sunday, both mentioned the allegation in the Sunday newspapers.

And you blame FG for the decision the newspapers took to cover a story, and the fact that Ahern and his then girlfriend apparently broke the law in trying to smuggled tens of thousands of pounds out of the country, in the process landing an unsuspecting guard into the situation where he was a party to their illegal acts.

How again is that anyone else's fault but Ahern's :?:

dail usher

The Analyser said:
...and the fact that Ahern and his then girlfriend apparently broke the law in trying to smuggled tens of thousands of pounds out of the country, in the process landing an unsuspecting guard into the situation where he was a party to their illegal acts.

That's some claim you make there analyser??? Would you care to substantiate it??

The joke is that you make this outlandish claim in an attempt to assert that FG are not enaging in dirty tricks and are not fuelling this story.

Sean Lemass was right when he said that Fine gael was nothing more than a rumour factory.

Another rumour from the people who brought you the jim Duffy tapes - the Mary McAleese green books episode, etc etc....

Maximus

Maximus said:
[quote="The Trinity Politick":100nn6dj]And Fine Gael have done what exactly?
Enda Kenny & Jim Higgins sat on this story for 7 years, only to release it a month out from an election in a desperate attempt to destroy Bertie Ahern's character. The story is bullshit and the public will see right through their dirty smear tacticts!
Well no, they didnt sit on it. Im sure FG hear all sorts of rumours. Hell, they were around when Haugheys GUBU government was in full swing and even veteran journalists didn't believe those chestnuts- even though some proved to be true.

Kenny didnt say anything because maybe there wasn't specific evidence then as there is now. I haven't a clue. And Maximus...how the hell do you know that its not true? It could be. How could you possibly know.

Would i be surprised? Not really. I haven't a clue whats going on over in FF HQ, but blaming this on FG is hilarious[/quote:100nn6dj]

Firstly, Ahern & Larkin have flatly denied there is any truth to the story whatsoever.

Secondly, there is no "new" information, the story is the same as it was the day that former garda allegedly spoke to Higgins. Fine Gael sat on the story for 7 years.

Their intent is clear - this is an attempt to destroy Ahern's character a month before the election. I wouldn't be surprised if they were behind the original Bertiegate leaks too. Kenny and Higgins will stop at nothing to get their grubby lying hands on the leavers of power.

The Trinity Politick

You expect a sitting Taoisach to admit that he smuggled a suitcase full of cash out of the country? Would you admit it?

I already said why Higgins could have sat on the story, and you obviously didnt read it. Im not going to repeat myself.

How is this Fine Gaels faults when the journalist held the story for this long? Its right there in the Sindo. With respect to the garda's wife, the journalist held off on the story. Higgins recently sought to get information he requires for his tribunal appearance and thats why this story kicked back into gear. He was quizzed about it and admitted what was up. He didnt venture to the journalist with a knod knod wink wink to get the case re-opened.

This isn't Fine Gaels problem. Nice try all the same, but i guess its another week of Bertie answering Manchester Money questions. The anticipation.....sigh

braz

Just clarify this one question for me:

When did Fine Gael become the Sunday Independent ?

If anyone is going for Bertie, it is the Sunday Indepedent and reading their stories back over the years there certainly no love lost between them and Fine Gael, regardless of their current stance.

The Trinity Politick

Maximus said:
Maximus said:
[quote="The Trinity Politick":2xbdjqpw]And Fine Gael have done what exactly?

Would i be surprised? Not really. I haven't a clue whats going on over in FF HQ, but blaming this on FG is hilarious
Firstly, Ahern & Larkin have flatly denied there is any truth to the story whatsoever.

Secondly, there is no "new" information, the story is the same as it was the day that former garda allegedly spoke to Higgins. Fine Gael sat on the story for 7 years.

Their intent is clear - this is an attempt to destroy Ahern's character a month before the election. I wouldn't be surprised if they were behind the original Bertiegate leaks too. Kenny and Higgins will stop at nothing to get their grubby lying hands on the leavers of power.[/quote:2xbdjqpw]

These allegations are coming from Independent Newspapers , not from Fine Gael. You got that one a bit mixed up too

hiding behind a poster

Maximus said:
So if the story is untrue, are they gonna sue? There's plenty of targets, you know. Jim Higgins? The Garda in question? Independent Newspapers?

Will they sue, Maximus?

Their intent is clear - this is an attempt to destroy Ahern's character a month before the election. I wouldn't be surprised if they were behind the original Bertiegate leaks too.
Was the Bertiegate story true or false, TK? Given that Bertie Ahern admitted that it was true, do you think the people have a right to know that a serving Minister for Finance received substantial donations of undeclared cash from wealthy businessmen? Do you think he was right to accept those donations?

These are all simple questions, TK - so answer them, and cut the bluffing.

Kenny and Higgins will stop at nothing to get their grubby lying hands on the leavers of power.
And you should withdraw that statement, or else the moderators should censure you for it, if this site is to have any credibility. Firstly, Higgins repeated the allegation - the allegation was made to the Tribunal by another individual. Secondly, how can Kenny be lying - he hasn't said anything about it at all. So if you're gonna throw slanderous accusations of lying around here, either back them up, withdraw them, or get off the site.

The Trinity Politick

braz said:
Just clarify this one question for me:

When did Fine Gael become the Sunday Independent ?

If anyone is going for Bertie, it is the Sunday Indepedent and reading their stories back over the years there certainly no love lost between them and Fine Gael, regardless of their current stance.
Braz, thats exactly my point. Fine Gael are being blamed because a Journalists story has made allegations against Ahern. Strange logic...

Fact: Mary O'Rourke said the BertieGate I leak came from "closer to home".
Fact: The Sindo sat on this story. THEY published it today
Fact: The Garda told Jim Higgins, he told the Tribunal about the alegation.

So go and F U C K Off with your FG smear campaign.

And you know what, Bertie should sue the Indo Group, because IF this story is false, he deserves millions in damages. Otherwise, if it is true he can go and f u c k off as well for tarnishing the office of An Taoisech.

Maximus

Kenny & Higgins are lying bastards

You expect a sitting Taoisach to admit that he smuggled a suitcase full of cash out of the country? Would you admit it?

I already said why Higgins could have sat on the story, and you obviously didnt read it. Im not going to repeat myself.

How is this Fine Gaels faults when the journalist held the story for this long? Its right there in the Sindo. With respect to the garda's wife, the journalist held off on the story. Higgins recently sought to get information he requires for his tribunal appearance and thats why this story kicked back into gear. He was quizzed about it and admitted what was up. He didnt venture to the journalist with a knod knod wink wink to get the case re-opened.

This isn't Fine Gaels problem. Nice try all the same, but i guess its another week of Bertie answering Manchester Money questions. The anticipation.....sigh
Why did Kenny and Higgins conspire to conceal the allegations until a month before a General Election?

The Trinity Politick

the-analyst2007 said:
Fact: Mary O'Rourke said the BertieGate I leak came from "closer to home".
Fact: The Sindo sat on this story. THEY published it today
Fact: The Garda told Jim Higgins, he told the Tribunal about the alegation.

So go and F U C K Off with your FG smear campaign.

And you know what, Bertie should sue the Indo Group, because IF this story is false, he deserves millions in damages. Otherwise, if it is true he can go and f u c k off as well for tarnishing the office of An Taoisech.
In a nutshell.....