FG plans civil service reforms

Rocky

I'm surprised a thread hasn't been set up on this already. Or I least I couldn't find one anyway.

From the Irish Times

A slimmed-down civil service, a new cabinet minister for public sector reform and the abolition of the HSE “in its current form” are among a number of measures Fine Gael is proposing as part of a radical overhaul of the public service.

The party plans to publish the proposals within weeks to make what it claims would be the “most radical change in the way the Irish State works since its foundation”.
FG plans civil service reforms - The Irish Times - Fri, Oct 22, 2010

This does seem solid, very progressive and much needed and I look forward to seeing the full policy document.

It's also noticeable that Richard Bruton hasn't either been pushed to one side or chosen to fall back after the events of last June. He has stayed front and centre and being the man behind what will be with NewEra and Faircure a crucial part of the Fine Gael general election campaign, that will continue to be the case. The same is true of Varadakar, Hayes, Coveney and O'Dowd who have all been very visible in recent weeks and months and I think Kenny and the rebels should be praised for that. It is a testimony to their commitment and drive.

Watcher2

eh, what now? FG have been "planning" this for a while. They should do proper work and expose the gravy train for what it is and then move to not claim the spoils themselves. That would truly put the cat among the pigeons. Highlight what they are giving up and embarrass the rest into doing the same.

Of course they wont do this because they have zero backbone and zero credibility. Meanwhile, the produce policy after policy which gathers dust on the shelf just like Mary and the other FFs do.

seangos

Sure the gravy train is exposed day in day out and I don't see too many pigeons remotely inconvenienced by the revelations. BTW, Blueboys have been in opposition since 1997, producing policy after policy which gathers dust on the shelf is what oppositions do

ocoonassa

LOL if that's "the most radical change" they've got to offer, well really the whole thing is just spin and hot air, and the attachment of the word 'radical' to it is nothing more than an outright offensive lie. It is mere tinkering with the gravy train, some few in the caboose to be cut loose, but still full steam ahead for all the civil war dinosaurs in The Party.

If you vote for these people you're an ignorant fool I'd hazard and your only saving grace is that you don't vote for one of the other parties.

Watcher2

Sure the gravy train is exposed day in day out and I don't see too many pigeons remotely inconvenienced by the revelations. BTW, Blueboys have been in opposition since 1997, producing policy after policy which gathers dust on the shelf is what oppositions do
What I am talking about is them giving up their l;ittle perks, like the ministerial pensions. Now I know Inda has given his up but it was more kicking and screaming rather than voluntarily now really, wasn't it? He should stand up in the Dail, list all the perks and say that him and all his members will be foregoing the perks at least until the economy recovers.

But no, no backbone to do something like that.

Rocky

What I am talking about is them giving up their l;ittle perks, like the ministerial pensions. Now I know Inda has given his up but it was more kicking and screaming rather than voluntarily now really, wasn't it? He should stand up in the Dail, list all the perks and say that him and all his members will be foregoing the perks at least until the economy recovers.

But no, no backbone to do something like that.
Christ. Yeah they should all strave themselves. That would solve the country's problems. :rolleyes:

If this is the standard of debate in this country is it any wonder that we're ************************************.

Baron von Biffo

Christ. Yeah they should all strave themselves. That would solve the country's problems. :rolleyes:

If this is the standard of debate in this country is it any wonder that we're ************************************.
FG wants to slash PS pay so why don't they lead by example. Real example now, not stunts like Kenny asking for a pay cut in a blaze of publicity and then a few weeks later quietly asking for it to be reversed.

Rocky

FG wants to slash PS pay so why don't they lead by example. Real example now, not stunts like Kenny asking for a pay cut in a blaze of publicity and then a few weeks later quietly asking for it to be reversed.
Can you quote where it says Fine Gael want to slash public sector pay?

brughahaha

This does seem solid, very progressive and much needed and I look forward to seeing the full policy document.
It might except for this
"Mr Bruton would not be drawn on whether this would involve compulsory redundancies, but said those who could not be redeployed would be retrained."

and this
"Mr Bruton added he had “sympathy” for public sector trade unions because the Government and public sector managers had not used the mechanisms in the Croke Park deal to drive reform."

No commitment of a reduction in the PS and no comment on pay in the PS So more rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic than root and branch reform it would seem......

Rocky

It might except for this
"Mr Bruton would not be drawn on whether this would involve compulsory redundancies, but said those who could not be redeployed would be retrained."

and this
"Mr Bruton added he had “sympathy” for public sector trade unions because the Government and public sector managers had not used the mechanisms in the Croke Park deal to drive reform."

No commitment of a reduction in the PS and no comment on pay in the PS So more rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic than root and branch reform it would seem......
I don't know if cutting pay and staff can ever be called root and branch reform and I think there seems to be a lot of root and branch reform there..

Obviously for now they are avoiding the issue of making people redundant, I'd agree with you that that needs to be done and we don't want another case of the HSE. The fact that he refuses to answer the question, would lead me to believe that it will involve compulsory redundancies, but that's just speculation.

I don't see a problem with the second quote and I'd agree with him. Public Sector Managers have not used the mechanisms in the Croke Park deal to drive reform.

irishfeller

Looks like some good ideas in there from FG.

Fair dues to them in coming out with these policies - the reforms they talk about are necessary - and they are setting out their stall even though they know it will cost them the votes of a lot of public servants.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I'm surprised a thread hasn't been set up on this already. Or I least I couldn't find one anyway.

Because it's all froth. FG will need Labour to get into government. Labour are owned by the trade unions that have created this public service debacle, so FG can announce what they like, but until hey say it's going to be a dealbreaker when it coms to forming a government, it's little except sabre rattling.

Last edited:

culmore

first let them tell us what they are going to cut the top earners by , ie. Barristers, Solicitors, doctors, consultants, Dentists etc. and more important what will the pay and expenses of ploiticans be if they are in power - them I will ake up my mind

de knowledge economy

Can we assume the management who failed to drive reform through the Croke Park agreement will be first in line for the chop?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies