FG plans to abolish HSE

biteback

This is according to the Sunday Tribune article today:

FG set to launch plans for radical reforms in public service bodies

I have to say kudos to them for having such a vast amount of policies. But focusing on the plan to "devolve decision making to individual hospital managers and managers in community care units" I'm curious as to the views of p.ie members on this...

Will having devolved local level powers mean greater efficiency or inefficiency?

Would positive and necessary changes such as the cut from 33 to 8 cancer treatment centres happen under this system?

Holy Cow

FG should abolish FG.

turdsl

The present structure set up by Harney is a failure.Something has to be done.,it will be very hard now.

Holy Cow

:roll: Wow, cutting edge stuff. Come back when you've grown up.
Well, seeing as FG are about to confirm that they are more or less FF, but with a different name, they should just get on with it and disband themselves.

punchdrunk

Well, seeing as FG are about to confirm that they are more or less FF, but with a different name, they should just get on with it and disband themselves.
Since when is it FF policy to abolish the HSE? Wake up.

Sierra

What exactly do they propose to do? Abolish the HSE and set-up the Irish Health Service? Will this be merely a name change in disguise?

LeDroit

To implement FG's Faircare they would have to abolish central planning as there will be no central funding. Each hospital will be remunerated on a fee per item basis, on what they have done rather than what they plan to do. Makes sense but doubt they'll do it. It would involve about 10,000 redundancies in the HSE and FG don't have the courage especially with the trade unions sitting at the cabinet table in the guise of Labour.

culmore

The HSE is a total failure so it is not rocket science to say it has to be abolished.

Holy Cow

Since when is it FF policy to abolish the HSE? Wake up.
Seeing as the HSE does nothing, I would consider it more or less abolished.

Holy Cow

The HSE employees 80,000 ?

Thats a lot of P45's

Panopticon

Well the HSE wasn't responsible for cancer centres of excellence, so I think the last question is a red herring. National planning will continue, so money will still be allocated from the centre.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
The present structure set up by Harney is a failure.Something has to be done.,it will be very hard now.
fine, but what's done has to make sense. In "Yes, Minister", Sir Humprhies talked of something called "politician's logic", which went along the lines;

1. Something must be done.
2. This is Something
3. Therefore, This must be done.

This was the logic that replaced the Health Boards with the HSE. Sounder logic will have to be behind whatever takes the place of the HSE.

LeDroit

I'm not sure anyone is proposing that all the Doctors and Nurses should be sacked...... LeDroit?!
Absolutely not. Frontline staff should be increased in number. We have approx 10,000 admin/management layers that should have been trimmed when the Health Boards were amalgamated into the HSE. There's duplication and unnecessary red tape everywhere. It's a health service we want not an admin service. In an ideal world I'd sell all the hospitals, with an admin layer each, and close down the State's central planning monster. Minimise the admin, maximise the healthcare delivery.

Ulster-Lad

I have long advocated the return to the Regional Health Boards. The HSE is a dismal failure.

Disillusioned democrat

What exactly do they propose to do? Abolish the HSE and set-up the Irish Health Service? Will this be merely a name change in disguise?
Maybe get the Dept of Health to take responsibility for health service provision again, making the Minister accountable and removing at least €20m in salaries for no value.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies