FG selection in Wicklow

LgCastell

We now know the Lab ticket but FG selection does not get the same scrutiny or opinion

Does anyone know the date or where one can get the info?

LgCastell

Yes thats what i was thinking too but do you think a fourth maybe southern based candidate would add anything?

Any ideas on FF selection? is Dick running?

CillM

Selection Convention taking place this Thursday - three candidates to be selected, there won't be a fourth.

Timmins, Doyle, Harris are the only candidates, it won't even go to a vote.

Roche definitely running, did you not see the latest edition of the Bray People? No idea who his running mate will be, most likely somebody based in the south of the county.

dgeraghty

Selection Convention taking place this Thursday - three candidates to be selected, there won't be a fourth.

Timmins, Doyle, Harris are the only candidates, it won't even go to a vote.

Roche definitely running, did you not see the latest edition of the Bray People? No idea who his running mate will be, most likely somebody based in the south of the county.
That's three seats for FG in Wicklow so..

CillM

That's three seats for FG in Wicklow so..
Harris is very well placed indeed and has been working the ground in Bray/Greystones/Kilcoole for well over 18 months. Tbh, I'd be worried about Doyle - nobody's seen sight nor sound of him since he was elected in 2007, not even since he was promoted to Agriculture spokesman.

Timmins is happy out with nobody threatening him in the West at all, as ever.

LgCastell

Yes i think theres a good chance of FG three

Its a well spread ticket with Harris inn urban north , Doyle in Wicklow and east with Billy taking the West/South

An actual South candidate would be nice to see run

I didnt see the Bray people was it just confirmation of his running?

CillM

It was one of the better editions alright (not that that's saying alot, it's still dire!). The front page led with a call on Dick to resign and there was a piece inside on him confirming he was going to be running in the next General Election.

I'd say FF will run Fitzgerald or Doran, but I don't know that there is actually a south seat anymore now that Jacob/Nicky Kelly are out of the race.

FG ticket is very well balanced geographically, will be very interesting to see how HQ divides the constituency - Timmins and Doyle pulled a respectable number of votes from the Bray/Greystones electoral areas in 2007, after all.

CillM

Wicklow FG Convention delayed because of the weather - pushed back until the 13th. Doesn't matter too much really considering the candidates are all known.

Anyone else hearing rumours of a FG Wicklow opinion poll?

Worky

Wicklow FG Convention delayed because of the weather - pushed back until the 13th. Doesn't matter too much really considering the candidates are all known.

Anyone else hearing rumours of a FG Wicklow opinion poll?
Not of anything specific but I have heard a few rumours of a number of parties sniffing round south Wicklow high profile possibilities as hoovers for their northern favourites. I can certainly see the rationale with no southern candidate in the mix and the possibility of 1000-2000+ easy transfers.

CillM

Can't imagine it's SF, I've heard that John Brady in Bray is going down a storm and will probably be in the shake-down for the last seat. They're hardly going to run two candidates and damage their chance of securing one seat, are they?

larkin 1913

Can't imagine it's SF, I've heard that John Brady in Bray is going down a storm and will probably be in the shake-down for the last seat. They're hardly going to run two candidates and damage their chance of securing one seat, are they?
I think Brady will be in the shake-down for seat, he has been working away for a number of years now. Where you hear he is going down a storm.

I think John Ryan of FG will be very disapointed he did not get on the ticket. (well we dont think so). He would have done very well, he has put in alot of work in the last 18months.

Fresh

If Brady got a south (more south than Snell in Wicklow town) candidate to collect some of the vote and pass on by way of transfer, I could certainly see his chances improved greatly for the last seat.

The challenge for him/SF is if there is such a candidate in the region??? Rumour of Nicky Kelly transferring to SF has been discussed on another thread but i really cant see the benefit for SF.

But it's worth mentioning that in the last general, there were almost 9,000 first preferences Votes between the 2 Arklow based candidates (Fitzgerald & Kelly) - ElectionsIreland.org: 30th Dail - Wicklow First Preference Votes

With Labour & FG not having anyone in the area. A strong SF feeder for Brady could be his meal ticket? Just my 2 cents!

CillM

Yeah, possibly a southern hoover candidate could be a good strategy for Brady alright. But as you say, who would they run? Kelly isn't going to SF, you'd get the impression that he's given up on running for the Dáil altogether, they don't have a Town Councillor in Arklow, their only other Wicklow County Councillor is based in Wicklow Town, which is far enough south to act as a sweeper for Brady, but not far enough to get all those floating voters beyond Arklow Town.

As I see it at the minute, it's 2FG (Harris, Timmins), 1FF (Roche), 1Lab (Ferris)+ 1 FG/Lab/SF (Doyle/Fortune/Brady).

Fresh

I've no real knowledge of the inner workings of FG but I think your faith in Harris (new kid on the block) over Doyle (possible future Minister for Agri) is a bit biased.

Personally, I really like Harris, very genuine. But I still see Doyle ahead of him in the FG shakeup.

Like I say, I don't know the inner FG story but it's my current view.

On your previous point of a possible SF Arklow candidate, it would put a big dent in a possible hat trick for FG in Wicklow!

There's no SFer on the Arklow Town Council but there are a few INDs, what chance of turning one of those to the dark side :shock2:

CillM

I'm only going on what I've seen on the ground in the northern end of the constituency. It's entirely possible that Doyle is running an amazing constituency set-up down in Wicklow Town and he's rock solid down there. He hasn't been seen or heard up this end of the county since 2007.

I really don't know that much about Arklow, but even in this weird new world, how much crossover is there likely to be between a southern Wicklow FG voter and a southern Wicklow SF voter? Is the pull of a local candidate really that strong? Personally, I think the southern FF candidate (Casey/Doran/Fitzgerald) will do well, might even end up as the last FFer standing.

I think the geographical mix of TDs will stay the same - 1 from the West (Timmins), 1 from the East/South wards (Doyle/FFer/Kavanagh), 3 from the Greystones/Bray wards (Roche/Behan/Ferris/Harris/Fortune/Brady).

davehiggz

I've no real knowledge of the inner workings of FG but I think your faith in Harris (new kid on the block) over Doyle (possible future Minister for Agri) is a bit biased.

Personally, I really like Harris, very genuine. But I still see Doyle ahead of him in the FG shakeup.

Like I say, I don't know the inner FG story but it's my current view.
I've a bias for Harris too but it's because he's a vote winner and Doyle isn't. Harris is opening a full time ground floor constituency office in Bray from next week. It's on a busy shopping street and it's right next door to Bray post office.

He's obviously doing some heavy work on the ground and if he can pull the same vote from Bray as he pulls in Greystones then he will out-poll Doyle.

Setting up an office is a big commitment and it shows a candidate is there for the long haul. Eoghan Murphy has done the same in Ranelagh, taking over Michael McDowell's old office. I must check which of these two is younger so I know who to call "baby of the Dáil" :)

CillM

Murphy has a three or four years on Harris, I think. If Harris can get the sort of vote he got in Greystones in Bray, he'd top the poll! It's going to be harder for him to replicate that success in Bray, he's not from the town and doesn't live there.

Interesting to see Sinn Fein going with just the one candidate. Brady is probably the most active Councillor in the county, he'll certainly sweep up an awful lot of votes in certain parts of Bray. Whether it's enough to get him across the line, we'll have to wait and see!

oakman

Well packed room in Woodenbridge Hotel last night( 13th Dec), saw Billy Timmons, Andrew Doyle and Simon Harris selected to run in Wicklow/East Carlow. Some very good speechs, great to see a bit of passion at a FG meeting. And big crowd. The blood is up!

New Threads

Most Replies