FG/SF Coalition

artfoley56

In the interests of truth, Rabbitte didn't say that.
Rabbitte says that he was misrepresented, the context was the "every little hurts" poster.

Rabbitte has done fcuk all during his time in office to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Baron von Biffo

Rabbitte says that he was misrepresented, the context was the "every little hurts" poster.

Rabbitte has done fcuk all during his time in office to be given the benefit of the doubt.
There really isn't any doubt. Watch the clip linked earlier in the thread and it's absolutely clear that there's no question of his admitting that politicians lie during elections.

Labour took a severe drubbing following that term in government and I imagine that most people believe it was richly deserved but no decent purpose is served by misrepresenting this remark.

Edit: Typo corrected

Last edited:

Watcher2

No, he made it in response to O'Rourke saying that they didn't go into great detail at election time but rather kept it simple.
You could certainly spin it that way if your agenda aligned with the politicians, or you could refer to the inherent lie discussed about the promise to protect childrens allowance and then them not protecting childrens allowance in the end. Or, as most ordinary people know it, a lie.

Baron von Biffo

You could certainly spin it that way if your agenda aligned with the politicians, or you could refer to the inherent lie discussed about the promise to protect childrens allowance and then them not protecting childrens allowance in the end. Or, as most ordinary people know it, a lie.
O'Rourke made a comment about the level of detail in the election promises and Rabbitte responded. It's there for all to see and hear.

The only spinning is from those who would have us believe that Rabbitte said that politicians lie at elections. Now I can understand why his political opponents would want to make that claim but we voters need to be vigilant to such dishonesty.

MsDaisyC

But their wages and expenses are exactly the same, so that doesn't make any sense. The reality is that if it was about money, FF would have accepted FG's coalition offer.
Providing they get re-elected - and that's what they're afraid of.

hiding behind a poster

Not one red cent
Roscommon hospital
Cut 145/6 quangos
Will cut allowances to 800 (from I think 1350(ish)

And that's just four off the top of my head.
I don't know how to multi-quote here, so this'll have to do:

1) FG never said that, and what Varadkar said was followed exactly. If you want to selectively quote, then you'll end up calling the weatherman a liar because ten years ago he said "it won't rain today", you only heard "it won't rain", and most days since then, it rained.

2) Change of policy, and a good decision, based on changed facts. Which raises an interesting question - if the facts change, and a good plan this becomes a bad one, do you persist with the bad plan anyway because you said you would?

3) 135 quangos were culled. Not bad going.

4) What are you referring to?

hiding behind a poster

Providing they get re-elected - and that's what they're afraid of.
I really can't figure out your argument here. You said initially that FF did the Confidence and Supply arrangement with FG for "money and perks", or something like that. But they got no money for it, in fact they got less than if they'd accepted the offer of coalition, where they'd have got several Cabinet ministries. Now you're saying "providing they get re-elected", which doesn't make any sense either.

hiding behind a poster

But they did protect children's allowance. FG wanted to cut it by more, Labour resisted that. And that's without even going into the fact that Labour did not win a majority. They had no mandate to insist that everything in their manifesto be implemented in full, on what basis do you believe otherwise?

And Biffo is right about what Rabbitte said. That's not spin, it's fact. Watch it on Youtube.

hiding behind a poster

There's no doubt. Watch the exchange on Youtube.

hiding behind a poster

Whats the difference between a Cumainn and a branch?
I've no idea. A branch is a local unit of Fine Gael. If you want to know what a cumann is, ask Fianna Fail. I wouldn't really care.

Fr. Ted Crilly

Seems Vlad the impaler has ruled this out but I dont believe him. In the end you live long enough you realise its all about bums on mercs-FF/PDS-FF/LAB-the chuckle brothers in the North etc etc
It'll all depend on what the Maltese Fat Controller/Tax Exile tells the shirts to do.....

MsDaisyC

I really can't figure out your argument here. You said initially that FF did the Confidence and Supply arrangement with FG for "money and perks", or something like that. But they got no money for it, in fact they got less than if they'd accepted the offer of coalition, where they'd have got several Cabinet ministries. Now you're saying "providing they get re-elected", which doesn't make any sense either.
The con job keeps FF in money and perks for 5 years. If they behaved like a proper opposition, rather than FG's prop and brought the government down, the subsequent election would have cost some of them their money and perks by not being re-elected.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies