• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

FG Tallaght breakfast strategy at €70 a head and a taxpayer-funded envelope thrown in

He3

"While we are really conscious of the difficult financial situation that faces families and businesses, as a political party we have to raise funds to fight elections and campaigns".

Time to save up for the Tallaght Two. They need your help.

Brian Hayes, a junior Minister, has written to invite selected individuals and business interests to listen to Richard Bruton, a Minister, speak over breakfast in Tallaght the week after the budget. The event is to raise funds for Fine Gael, a political party. Specifically the invitation was sent on behalf of Mr Hayes and a Seanad member Cait Keane.

The letter enclosed prepaid Oireachtas envelopes for ease of reply by the recipients. Oireachtas envelopes are prepaid by the public purse and may be used by Oireachtas members for their political work.

Siobhan Maguire writes about this in the Sunday Times today. Mr Hayes told Ms Maguire this was a constituency fundraising event. He denied there was any issue with sending members of the public Oireachtas prepaid envelopes.

The event is timed for the week after the Budget.

Demand is expected to be brisk.

Last edited:

Analyzer

I would not listen to Baby Brute if they paid me 70 Euro, never mind get charged that much.

slippy wicket

What's the big issue, mountain out of molehill springs to mind.

drjimryan2

i think hes got that one wrong.....

the official line, if I am correct, is that the envelopes are for the sole purpose of members communicating with their constituents......

'return' is surely, the constituent communicating with the td?, also a lot of the business people being targeted would not actually live, and therefore vote in the constituency....

sloppy slip-up by minister hayes, I suspect....

and as for the menu.....a tallaght breakfast?, jp blue and a cup of t.....

He3

carlovian

I would not listen to Baby Brute if they paid me 70 Euro, never mind get charged that much.
I'd personally pay more than 70 not to have breakfast anywhere near Brian Hayes.

SKELLY

having Gravy for breakfast now..

all part of a balanced Irish politicians diet no doubt

mike58

The invitation is to share peoples suffering like The Brutons and Hayes are suffering, pure and utter scumbags the lot of them, people are givers or takers, it is obvious what they are.

ergo2

1. Sad to see that Oireachtas envelope system still being abused.

2. While the budget may be announced, the legislation follows later. Is this brekkie an opportunity to influence legislation?

He3

Why is it? You have a chip on your shoulder?
You wonder why it is interesting to see how the other half lives? And you attribute a bitter motive?

Odd.

sic transit

Hard to see what the fuss is unless someone can prove actual wrongdoing with the envelopes. These breakfasts are a regular feature of budgets for businesses and seen as a chance for networking anyway. Some are on the day and many like this, follow the next day or soon after. While €70 is steep, and the general rate is at least €25-€30 a head depending on location, punters do like to show up for a political VIP.

Iarmhi Gael

You wonder why it is interesting to see how the other half lives? And you attribute a bitter motive?

Odd.
You ever hear of the valley of the squinting windows? - get on with your own life - I got myself a new Villa in Italy this week. Bought it at auction. 4 bedroom with a pool. Went to school, studied hard, set up my own business and made something of my life. everyone is given this chance - you either take it or can crib how everyone else is doing. Maybe you should go to this breakfast and learn something

He3

Venue will be the Maldron Hotel.

you ever hear of the valley of the squinting windows? - get on with your own life - i got myself a new villa in italy this week. Bought it at auction. 4 bedroom with a pool. Went to school, studied hard, set up my own business and made something of my life. Everyone is given this chance - you either take it or can crib how everyone else is doing. Maybe you should go to this breakfast and learn something
lies

hiding behind a poster

Fundraiser. Wow. Big deal.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies