• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

FG TD accuses his own constituents of criminal conspiracy to defraud the state

Asparagus

Homeowners warned against 'fixing' values - National News - Independent.ie

HOUSEHOLDERS are already planning to deliberately undervalue their houses to cut down on their property tax bills, a government TD has claimed.

There are fines of up to €3,000 in property tax legislation for those who knowingly make a false declaration.

But FG Dublin North TD Alan Farrell said he had learnt that some householders in his constituency were discussing a 'price-fixing' system – so that all the people in their street or estate would provide the same deliberately low value to the Revenue.
Alan - you picked a great platform to announce yourself to the nation.
Has he reported the specifics to the Gardai? or Revenue?

SURELY HE HAS A DUTY TO THE STATE,

Or maybe he is withholding information from the authorities.

sic transit

It may well be true. We are not fond of taxes we think we can avoid but seeing as Revenue is the watchdog not a very wise thing to try to do.

Tough Paddy

Their are still quite a number of people out there with houses on the market who are looking for unrealistically high prices in the current climate. It would be interesting to see what value these people place on their houses for the property tax.

A mechanism should be put in place whereby it can be revealed to potential buyers of a house what value the seller placed on the home in terms of the property tax. I've no doubt the disparity would be quite interesting.

Pink Panther

I saw Farrell on Prime Time before Christmas and he was reasonably articulate and able to hold his own. However, I can't help but think that these comments are actually about protecting his auctioneering interests/friends.

The self-declaration element of the property tax will dampen growth (if any) in house prices which is contrary to the interests of auctioneers and estate agents. Of course he's concerned about it. His former buddies stand to lose a packet from it and I wouldn't be surprised if he still held personal interests in the sector too.

LamportsEdge

Is he the same chap who tried to hire his wife as his publicly paid assistant? And there was some debate about whether the role had been advertised or not?

D

Deleted member 17573

I saw Farrell on Prime Time before Christmas and he was reasonably articulate and able to hold his own. However, I can't help but think that these comments are actually about protecting his auctioneering interests/friends.

The self-declaration element of the property tax will dampen growth (if any) in house prices which is contrary to the interests of auctioneers and estate agents. Of course he's concerned about it. His former buddies stand to lose a packet from it and I wouldn't be surprised if he still held personal interests in the sector too.
Perhaps he is seeing the issue through the eyes of an auctioneer rather than a public representative - based on an expectation that that is where he is headed after the next GE?

Last edited by a moderator:

tigerben

TDs on about anyone defrauding the state is laughable, how much money in the last few years have TDs repaid the state for claiming to much on expenses.

sic transit

He could be playing on that Irish sense of righteous indignation that someone is gaming the system.

LamportsEdge

If it is the same Farrell I'm thinking of with the substantial-barrister-missus then he has already to my knowledge got himself into a scrape with his own constituency party over hiring the missus when they told him not to do it.

Now for a follow up this erstwhile TD is accusing his own constituents of criminal conspiracy- one wonders whether he consulted that same barristerwife in coming up with that charge.

I'm tempted to conclude that this chap isn't really interested in either a junior ministerial post down the line or in fact re-election.

If he keeps going like this his political legacy may be described as the straw that broke the camel's back and was the cause of 'recall' legislation being introduced.

LamportsEdge

Indeed if everyone had the same idea of undervaluing their house then one could honestly say that the people of Ireland are correcting the nonsense of the Celtic Tiger years when everyone was busy INFLATING the price of their property.

A sort of outbreak of anti-Daft.IE, satanic undervaluing to flummox entirely the property-ladder mindset of the plain civil servants of Ireland.

All kneel for a murmered verse or two of Amhrann na Bhfian.

drjimryan2

found this to be a strange one indeed,

not that high profile, got an easy seat, will lose it just as easy.....

LamportsEdge

I know politics is a strange career and built squarely around not exactly pleasing most of the people most of the time but at least not annoying most of the people most of the time in order to keep the numbers and the seat but the Farrells are an interesting departure from that.

I wonder will the election manifesto show Alan Farrell with a gun to a kitten's head saying 'Either elect me or it is curtains for Kitty'.

A most unusual TD who seems to have hit on the novel notion that if one disregards one's constituency party, ignores party directions at a national level and levels accusations at one's own constituents from time to time one may be re-elected on the basis of excellence in the pursuit of professional unpopularity.

Tune in next week when Farrell decides that taking a whip to the dole queue in his constituency may guarantee a run at the Presidency.

damus

TD who is an auctioneer warning about undervaluing your property :lol:!

CarnivalOfAction

TDs on about anyone defrauding the state is laughable, how much money in the last few years have TDs repaid the state for claiming to much on expenses.
It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so incompetent [cept at lying]:

Gene Kerrigan: Negative? Give us some good news, Pat - Gene Kerrigan, Columnists - Independent.ie

"The media shares with bankers, bondholders and politicians

the hope that normality can be resumed, with all the old hierarchies and inequalities in place. This requires the cost of the crisis to be shifted to the usual mugs.

But the media has to maintain credibility with its customers – and to that end, it can hardly ignore the dreadful damage being done to the citizens. Neither can it ignore the fact that, for instance, Mr Kenny is on €200,000 a year, while the French prime minister is on €177,000 and the UK prime minister is on €172,000. Nor the fact that Pat Rabbitte is on €169,000, while a French minister is on about €119,000.

Mostly, though, the media batters nurses and teachers and other public sector monsters of its vivid imagination.

Beyond government delusions and media cynicism, there lies reality. As one authority summed it up, the Minister for Finance "reduced social welfare payments, punished the blind, disabled, widows, carers and the unemployed and he taxed the poorest at work". And why?

"It was so that the taxpayer can take on liability for debts the country never incurred, and arose from private arrangements between private institutions. What a disaster and an obscenity."

This authority was, of course, Michael Noonan, three months before he became the Minister for Finance and began inflicting on citizens policies that he knows are "a disaster and an obscenity".

TARZAN

TD who is an auctioneer warning about undervaluing your property :lol:!
Some TD'S have the neck of an ostrich especially in this case such a comment coming from a member of a profession known for ''gazumping'' in the past.:evil:

LamportsEdge

I suspect we'll find in due course that both this Oireachtas and the previous one are largely guilty of an overarching defrauding of the state.

mary_queen_of_the_gael

Homeowners warned against 'fixing' values - National News - Independent.ie

Alan - you picked a great platform to announce yourself to the nation.
Has he reported the specifics to the Gardai? or Revenue?

SURELY HE HAS A DUTY TO THE STATE,

Or maybe he is withholding information from the authorities.
With an attitude like that, he should be in the Labour Party. The State are robbing his supposed constituents; they are being robbed, not robbing. And Fine Gael are complicit in the shakedown.

Franzoni

Anyone who lives on de northside knows our houses are worth nothing...i keep telling my next door neighbour his gaff is worthless and him the same to me.....:D

All that money is with dem fellas and wimmin on de southside i tells ya...de southside....all those partners and de like....were only plebs on 10 euro an hour......;)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies