FG TD Alan Farrell and the 'unusual' personal injuries case

The OD

Here's a picture of Alan Farrell hanging a poster. What is unusual about this picture is that it was taken after Mr Farrell had launched a legal claim for over €15,000 for 'whiplash'.

EDIT: (Hat tip to Pizzaman) Link here: https://www.thesun.ie/news/2827484/alan-farrell-fine-gael-td-photo-ladder-court/

NINTCHDBPICT000418521636.jpg

Here's a photo of Mr Farrells car, after the tip.

NINTCHDBPICT000418954061.jpg

From the news report:

The Public Accounts Committee member alleged he suffered neck and shoulder issues which affected his personal and professional life for up to 18 months following the accident in Drumcondra, Dublin, on April 9, 2015.
But the Irish Sun can reveal Judge Michael Coghlan has ruled the Fine Gael politician did not suffer a “significant injury” and only awarded him €2,500.
The judge said: “There is little or no notation to back up a claim of significant whiplash.”
Have a good read through the article, in it, Farrell comes off as being exactly like the usual low rent type you see lodging claims for personal injury, including the mythical 'whiplash' (which is a real thing to be fair, I just do not believe Farrell when he said he was experiencing it).

In light of this, can we expect a statement from FG around spurious & fraudulent injury claims?

Judge Coghlan also questioned why the material damages claim had been dropped.
Because it was established in court that there were none. You would expect a collision that warrants upwards of 15k would leave a mark of some description but no, not even a scratch.

It's a rather tawdry affair at best and if one was so inclined to think, potential fraud.

Last edited:

Lúidín

He's the perfect candidate for the FG wing of the Mé Féin party.

Paddy{ie

Here's a picture of Alan Farrell hanging a poster. What is unusual about this picture is that it was taken after Mr Farrell had launched a legal claim for over €15,000 for 'whiplash'.

Here's a photo of Mr Farrells car, after the tip.

From the news report:

Have a good read through the article, in it, Farrell comes off as being exactly like the usual low rent type you see lodging claims for personal injury, including the mythical 'whiplash' (which is a real thing to be fair, I just do not believe Farrell when he said he was experiencing it).

In light of this, can we expect a statement from FG around spurious & fraudulent injury claims?

Because it was established in court that there were none. You would expect a collision that warrants upwards of 15k would leave a mark of some description but no, not even a scratch.

It's a rather tawdry affair at best and if one was so inclined to think, potential fraud.
Proof of gaming the system.
“FG cheats, cheat us all”.

max99

What a fraud!! Typical greedy FG sponging off everyone, lining his own pockets..

He should be prosecuted now, for making a false claim... Please tell me this can be done...

HereWeGoAgain

Namawinelake tweet pretty insightful on this

NAMAwinelake

@namawinelake
Follow Follow @namawinelake
More
Alan had one of the worst attendance/contribution records at the public accounts committee investigation of the NAMA Project Eagle sale. Was the whiplash still at him 20 months after the event???

worth looking at attendance record

https://twitter.com/namawinelake/status/1016579324298891264

Thanks namawinelake

As usual, you're on the ball.

LDF

Presumably the judge took Mr Farrell's hard neck into account when awarding him much lower compensation than originally sought.

The OD

Presumably the judge took Mr Farrell's hard neck into account when awarding him much lower compensation than originally sought.
From the report it sounded like it was the merest of tips. Whatever about people making light of insurance claims, behind them is a real person who will have their policy loaded and the insurance company who, despite all the negative press around them, still have to make money and provide a service and these spurious seeming claims help nobody except perhaps someone who has no problem gaming the system and doesn't seem to mind that huge increases to someones premium might leave them vastly out of pocket or even unable to get to work or even collect their children.

I have been involved in very minor tips to my car from the rear on more than one occasion and I have never had the slightest need to take it further for two reasons, first, I was not injured and second, there was no damage to my vehicle. In every occasion it was a similar situation to this, a slight bump, person gets out of their vehicle freaked out, I take a look, see no damage and feel 100% fine so tell them its OK, no worries and they got a massive sense of relief knowing they haven't tipped someone out to make an easy buck at their expense. I'm hardly a paragon of anything but I certainly do not believe in claiming for something I have no right or need for.

Jack O Neill

Proof of gaming the system.
“FG cheats, cheat us all”.
What other country in the world would not have this little ************************s resignation letter on the desk this morning by 9am ?

PERHAPS HAMMER , HBAP AND FELLOW TRAVELERS MIGHT LIKE TO COMMENT !

hammer

Based on the details on this thread so far all I can say is how the feck did he even get €2,500

mr_anderson

Why, after dismissing evidence of whiplash, did the judge award him 'only' €2,500 ?

mr_anderson

Isn't it fascinating that bumper car amusement operators aren't deluged with whiplash claims ?

Dutch Gold and Sky

What other country in the world would not have this little ************************s resignation letter on the desk this morning by 9am ?

PERHAPS HAMMER , HBAP AND FELLOW TRAVELERS MIGHT LIKE TO COMMENT !
Of course Shammer will support the Scammer, he can add this as one of things that are up on his list, in this case FG Scammer up a ladder

The OD

Based on the details on this thread so far all I can say is how the feck did he even get €2,500
Why, after dismissing evidence of whiplash, did the judge award him 'only' €2,500 ?
Not entirely clear, but does seem odd? No vehicular damage and no personal damage?

CatullusV

Err, the claim indicated that the incident resulted in eighteen months of discomfort. The photo of him putting up his poster is mentioned as being taken *after* the claim was launched. There is no contradiction evident.

mr_anderson

Err, the claim indicated that the incident resulted in eighteen months of discomfort. The photo of him putting up his poster is mentioned as being taken *after* the claim was launched. There is no contradiction evident.

As Farrell gave evidence of his injuries, Judge Coghlan was shown a photograph of the TD up a ladder in Skerries, north Co Dublin, just four months after the prang.
https://www.thesun.ie/news/2827484/alan-farrell-fine-gael-td-photo-ladder-court/

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies