FG TD McCormack deselected in Galway West.

spotty

Spotty hears from a FG source that the Chairman of the Fine Gael Party, Deputy Padraig McCormack, has been deselected by the Party in his constituency of Galway West at the convention tonight.

This is superb news for Spotty's favourite senator - Sen Fidelma Healy-Screams.

Bit of a shocker to see a TD deselected at convention, though.

Spotty hears from a FG source that the Chairman of the Fine Gael Party, Deputy Padraig McCormack, has been deselected by the Party in his constituency of Galway West at the convention tonight.

Presume you mean that he was not selected? These conventions often become more about who will be the second candidate and the sitting TD gets forgotten about, because everyone presumes they are bound to be selected.

turdsl

That is sensational if its true, He was ahead of Eames in a recent poll, I have not heard the term deselected in this country before.

jmcc

I thought he was coaxed out of retirement by Enda Kenny and he was going to retire anyway?

Regards...jmcc

spotty

To be clear, he contested the convention, and he lost. They did not select him.

FG will now either have to run 3, or ask him nicely to retire.

(Spotty assumes that if the party chair asked to be added to the ticket, they'd probably have to do it)

Rocky

To be clear, he contested the convention, and he lost. They did not select him.

FG will now either have to run 3, or ask him nicely to retire.

(Spotty assumes that if the party chair asked to be added to the ticket, they'd probably have to do it)
I'd imagine they will add him and three candidates in Galway West isn't over the top. I'd say it was a case that people thought he was safe and believing that based their vote on who they wanted as the second candidate. It's not the first time something like this has happened. He might have thought he was safe and not put the effort in as well.

spotty

I'd imagine they will add him and three candidates in Galway West isn't over the top. I'd say it was a case that people thought he was safe and believing that based their vote on who they wanted as the second candidate. It's not the first time something like this has happened. He might have thought he was safe and not put the effort in as well.
That was Spotty's first reaction, too. But sources tell me he's likely to retire.

By the way, he didn't coast into the convention - he knew it was a fight.

Determined McCormack is braced for the battle | Connacht Tribune | galwaynews.ie

“I have never ran from a challenge yet and I hope the delegates agree that with my name on the ticket, it presents the best possible chance of winning two seats in the constituency”, Deputy McCormack told The Connacht Tribune.

The much anticipated convention takes place on Sunday evening in Salthill and it is understood that there are relatively few votes coming Deputy McCormack’s way from the three big cumann in the constituency, Turloughmore, Maree and Clifden.

The Galway Advertiser has confirmed this result on its Facebook page. He should not have been seeking selection at convention again. I have said before about him that it's time for new faces and young blood to step up and hopefully get this country back on track. That said, one dreads the possibilty of Healy Eames making it to the Dail. With her it seems to be a case of get as much publicity as possible, in any way possible. She does not seem to be very popular either. I suspect Brian Walsh will put up a good fight.

spotty

The Galway Advertiser has confirmed this result on its Facebook page. He should not have been seeking selection at convention again. I have said before about him that it's time for new faces and young blood to step up and hopefully get this country back on track. That said, one dreads the possibilty of Healy Eames making it to the Dail. With her it seems to be a case of get as much publicity as possible, in any way possible. She does not seem to be very popular either. I suspect Brian Walsh will put up a good fight.
Don't you dare slag off Spotty's Fidelma. She's only brilliant.

stonethrower

God that is an embarrassing for him, but yes I assume HQ have the right to add candidates and as party chair he will have some clout up in Dublin.

I don't know an awful lot of FG in Galway West, but who else did they select with FH Eames? Walsh?

Interesting article in Advertiser about war in local FG.

What are Fine Gael letting Galway West in for? - Galway Advertiser - November 11, 2010.

If they run three probably good news for Labour and Independents.

It's unusual for a TD not to be selected. However for the 2002 election I think it was Michael Smith who was then a full cabinet Minister didn't get selected on the FF party ticket in North Tippeary. Maire Hoctor and Cllr Tom Harrington won, Cllr Harrington was persauded to step aside, it was claimed he was offered a Senate seat if he did, which never materialised.

meriwether

On one hand, its sad that it came like this for P. On the other hand, ruthlessness is what is needed to maximise the vote/seats nationally.

Cruffan

Don't you dare slag off Spotty's Fidelma. She's only brilliant.
Fidelma can be quite shrill but McCormack, although intelligent, has always come across as ignorant to neutrals. Healy-Eames has family connections in Maam and as a result has support in Leenane and presumably Clifden.

Rocky

Running him probably did represent the best chance of Fine Gael taking two seats, but he was very old and he doesn't seem to have added a massive amount and I doubt he will be any great lose to Fine Gael or the Dail if he doesn't run again.

I've never met Brian Walsh or even seen him on TV, but I've heard very good things about him.

bagel

It was no secret locally that Padraig wouldn't be selected, nor was it a matter of great concern.
Party HQ ordered that two candidates be selected at convention, leaving Enda to appoint a third.
It is anticipated that Enda will add Padraig to the ticket if Padraig decides to run.
If he does run, his seat is safe.
Fidelma may have the convention votes wrapped up in her local area but its a different case come election time when she'll be fishing in the same pool as Grealish.

TommyO'Brien

"FG source" my arse. The news broke on twitter an hour ago and is on facebook. ;)

Cruffan

It was no secret locally that Padraig wouldn't be selected, nor was it a matter of great concern.
Party HQ ordered that two candidates be selected at convention, leaving Enda to appoint a third.
It is anticipated that Enda will add Padraig to the ticket if Padraig decides to run.
If he does run, his seat is safe.
Fidelma may have the convention votes wrapped up in her local area but its a different case come election time when she'll be fishing in the same pool as Grealish.
But isn't Grealish now considered Fianna Fail Lite; he should suffer accordingly!

stonethrower

Running the three of them from the same area would seem a bit mad.

McCormack is Renmore-Galway City. Healy-Eames is Oranmore on outskirts of city and Walsh is also Galway City.

Surely they should run someone out in Connemara or else they are leaving that to FF?

SKELLY

Healy-Eames is some wagon!!

no policies, no brain, just loves the sound of her own voice!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies