FG to launch high-court challenge on by-elections for Waterford and Dublin South East

yehbut_nobut

FG to follow Sinn Fein to High Court over by elections

Enda Kenny has said it just now in the Dail. Assuming the Government thwarts the moving of the writs today.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
The Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny has told the Dail moments ago that if the Government does not approve of the motion tonight for the by-elections to be run, then his party will lodge papers in the High Court to challenge the delay in the elections in Waterford and Dublin South.

SF Senator Pearse Doherty is in the process of taking a challenge to contest the delay on the by-election being held in Donegal South West.

Ulster-Lad

The more the better......

quiatimet

Hang on...

From my hearing of it FG will only go to court if the Gov caves in and names a date for Donegal.
The court application will only happen if there is date for Donegal without a date for the other by - elections.

Thats the way I took it up anyway

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Not sure about that, but here's the video of his speech.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h657Fn_NBwQ]YouTube - Enda Kenny speech in the Dail on motion to run the by-elections[/ame]

I want to put you on notice today CC that this party, the Fine Gael party will lodge papers in the High Court immediately to challenge the Gov on behalf of the people of these other constituencies.
Enda Kenny TD

Highking

I belienve Conor Lenihan said we can have those seats filled in two years when we have a General Election... that just goes to show you the neck of this Government , a Government so discredited that it has to abandon basic democratic priciples to maintain it's stranglehold on the polulace

yehbut_nobut

If the Dáil is under-represented, could one take a constitutional challenge to legislation passed?

quiatimet

Yup if they name a date for Donegal and not the others then the papers will be lodged.
Its at 4.55 onwards. It is actually a bit confusing but the legal eagles from FG HQ are not currently in a taxi on the way to the central office of the high court...

Rocky

Good move and full credit for Fine Gael for really putting the pressure on the government over this.

wombat

Full credit to Sinn Fein for showing the way.
Not being a lawyer, I know the court can find a law unconstitutional but can they overturn a vote of the Dáil

culmore

A governemnt that wont give its people a vote, I thought Eastern Europe had fallen with the Berlin Wall, but its alive and well with Biffo the new Chauchesco pardon the spelling but you know what I mean

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies