FG to move outstanding writs

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Fine Gael have announced tonight that they are to move the writs for the outstanding by elections.

FG's announcement follows Pearse Doherty's successful High Court challenge against the Governments "unreasonable delay" in holding the Donegal South West by election.

The cabinet are meeting tonight to discuss the High Court ruling today. SF are moving the writ on the Donegal South West by election in the morning.

FG moves bye-elections writs

Fine Gael has moved the writs for the outstanding bye-elections today (Wednesday) according to Party Chief Whip, Paul Kehoe TD.

"This Government is unravelling and seems willing to do anything to cling to power. The fact that the number of Dáil vacancies now outstrips the Government's Dáil majority is clearly the reason why the outstanding bye-elections, one of which has been on the cards for 16 months, are being scandalously ignored by Fianna Fáil and the Greens.

"This can no longer be allowed to stand. Fianna Fáil and the Greens have already spent taxpayers' cash to deny the Irish public their rights. The bye-elections must be held without delay and these must be followed by an immediate general election for a new government with a new mandate who can bring forward the new ideas we need to get our country working again.

"I call on the Green Party and Independents to support the Fine Gael motions in order to ensure not only full parliamentary representation for the people of those constituencies but to give full effect to proper parliamentary democracy, respect for the Dáil and upholding the Constitution."
I've tried to clarify if that includes Donegal North East, but nobody in FG is answering the phone.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Presumably the idea is to try to move the writs and if FF and the Greens vote them down FG will then go to court.
no they said Enda would go court after the previous attempt to move writs were rejected

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Gov to make announcement at 8pm presumably about Donegal SW by election.
Do you believe that they will look like complete spanners if they try to move the writ for one, and not for all of them?

What are they going to say to the people of Donegal North East for example.. come back to us in 17 months time, and ye can have an election too, we have to give ye're neighbours full representation first.

They'll be dragged asunder by all of this in the weeks ahead.

If I were the Government right now, I'd call a GE and force all parties to put their cards on the table vis a vis the economy for the next 5 years.

breakingnews

9 months is a reasonable amount of time, FF and the Greens believe.

Let's see how the Greens vote tomorrow.

callmedave

Do you believe that they will look like complete spanners if they try to move the writ for one, and not for all of them?

What are they going to say to the people of Donegal North East for example.. come back to us in 17 months time, and ye can have an election too, we have to give ye're neighbours full representation first.

They'll be dragged asunder by all of this in the weeks ahead.

If I were the Government right now, I'd call a GE and force all parties to put their cards on the table vis a vis the economy for the next 5 years.
This crowd are so brazen I wouldn't be surprised if they announced they were going back to the courts on a point of law!

Just on newstalk. Govt to move writ tomorrow on Donegal. No mention of the other 3. They are going to also challenge today's decision in the supreme court.

civilserpant

Just on newstalk. Govt to move writ tomorrow on Donegal. No mention of the other 3. They are going to also challenge today's decision in the supreme court.
i'm not surprised at all. don't understand why so many posters thought they wouldn't appeal, a lack of brazeness was never a FF trait.

dresden8

grow up. doesn't matter who does it, only when gov are in disarray.. they should all go for the kill
Maybe it doesn't matter who did it.

The fact is SF did and FG couldn't organise a mild rebuke in a brewery.

Idiots.

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
Summary: The govt has no choice but to hold the DSW byelection but they are going to court to delay the others until after the budget.

Simbo67

Amazing. That is absolutely amazing.

droghedasouth

Just on newstalk. Govt to move writ tomorrow on Donegal. No mention of the other 3. They are going to also challenge today's decision in the Supreme Court.
With Biffo's luck, the SC might tell them to get on with it and move Dublin South and Waterford as well.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
Summary: The govt has no choice but to hold the DSW byelection but they are going to court to delay the others until after the budget.
pretty much it. the Q is can they really vote down the Sub Sth writ if it's moved by FG (given it's their vacancy) - it would be some breach of precedent.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies