FGM in Ireland

Clanrickard

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/female-genital-mutilation-it-s-happening-here-girls-are-being-taken-out-of-ireland-1.3374033

This barbaric practise has reached our shores it seems. To no great surprise some of the "New Irish" have imported this practise and we now have a clinic for women who have suffered from FGM. This is a crime and people need to be punished. Not for the IT though..............
Exploring the concept of human rights in various cultures, rather than simply condemning the practice, allows migrants to grow their understanding, says Kenyan-born Munyi, “so they do not feel something has been taken away. The moment they feel it is being taken away, they feel threatened.”
I'll repeat this is a crime and should be ruthlessly routed out. In schools where children are at risk of this there should be inspections of kids, as there used to be by district nurses, and kids that have been subjected to this need to have their parents punished. Otherwise we go down the route of the UK where it is rampant and no one has been punished.

Analyzer

Where is Ruth no-Cop-whinger and the other hard lefties on this issue ?

Trotting off in the opposite direction, I presume....

paulp

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/female-genital-mutilation-it-s-happening-here-girls-are-being-taken-out-of-ireland-1.3374033

This barbaric practise has reached our shores it seems. To no great surprise some of the "New Irish" have imported this practise and we now have a clinic for women who have suffered from FGM. This is a crime and people need to be punished. Not for the IT though..............

I'll repeat this is a crime and should be ruthlessly routed out. In schools where children are at risk of this there should be inspections of kids, as there used to be by district nurses, and kids that have been subjected to this need to have their parents punished. Otherwise we go down the route of the UK where it is rampant and no one has been punished.
I'll preface below with fact that i don't know much on the subject,

Absolutely is should be routed out.

I would have read that article as, changing people's mindset about FGM can be more effective in stamping out the barbaric practise that just imprisoning parents who condone or support it.

I would support a two pronged approach, prosecute anyone involved, and work to change mindset on it.

silverharp

so is FGM part of Irish culture or they aint really Irish so its not part of Irish culture?

Ruff says Flaherty

We will not change the minds of those here who believe in it. It will just go more underground. That's the reality unfortunately.

Valid question above on Ruth Coppinger. This issue is very uncomfortable for certain people to match with other views they hold.

Ruff says Flaherty

so is FGM part of Irish culture or they aint really Irish so its not part of Irish culture?
It is certainly not part of Irish culture. We have our own issues, but this is something that has come with migrants from Africa.

Analyzer

I wonder how will Amadan O'Reardawn decide to perform his usual virtue signalling on this topic ?

Perhaps....by deftly avoiding it ?

Clanrickard

I'll preface below with fact that i don't know much on the subject,

Absolutely is should be routed out.

I would have read that article as, changing people's mindset about FGM can be more effective in stamping out the barbaric practise that just imprisoning parents who condone or support it.

I would support a two pronged approach, prosecute anyone involved, and work to change mindset on it.
Yes I agree that is sensible. However I cannot but notice the lack of loud voices from the feminists movement on this. Germaine Grer was asked to campaign on this she refused as it would stigmitise Muslims. Although Muslims perform the majority of FGMs it is not a Muslim only issue.

OrderoftheDragon

Ruth is too busy trying to "ban" good looking girls from making a few bob, made an absolute show of herself on Claire byrne last night.

benroe

Merc will be along shortly to tell us all how little we care about women and that we are just here because we are racists.
He will then spend the rest of the day trolling the thread.

eoghanacht

As much as a cvnt you are self mutilation is never the answer.

eoghanacht

And here I was thinking the resident "legitimate immigration concerns" group were actually concerned about the victims.

No it's just the daily two minutes of hate for the "leftist, Coppinger, Daly and the IT."

Mercurial

Well, the woman involved with this initiative has an actual degree in gender studies so....

Mercurial

:roll:

So you read an article about efforts that are being made to ensure that children here are not subjected to FGM and your gut reaction is that you know better than the women on the ground and that what we really ought to be doing is stigmatizing children of migrants by pulling them out of classrooms and having them examined by doctors for no other reason than the fact that their parents were born in a particular country...

Mercurial

Merc will be along shortly to tell us all how little we care about women and that we are just here because we are racists.
He will then spend the rest of the day trolling the thread.
I mean, it's demonstrably true...

petaljam

Yes I agree that is sensible. However I cannot but notice the lack of loud voices from the feminists movement on this. Germaine Grer was asked to campaign on this she refused as it would stigmitise Muslims. Although Muslims perform the majority of FGMs it is not a Muslim only issue.
I dont know what or who Germaine Greer represents since she defended the child abusers on Pitcairn Island over a decade ago in the name of Polynesian culture, something I would not see as compatible with feminism.

On the issue itself, it's absolutely something I would want to see stopped, naturally. The question is how best to achieve that, and I've gradually moved from thinking a blanket ban should be imposed to seeing it slightly differently according to where it's happening.

I think when people move to a country where it's not traditional and not acceptable and want to bring the practice with them, that's simple - when you move somewhere, you adapt, and practices that are seen as abusive in your new country need to be re-examined at the very least. And there is obviously no justification for FGM, so it has to go.

From hearing women working in countries where it is traditional, I think it's more complicated and it's very possible that a confrontational approach might not work. That said, I imagine that depends massively on the country in question. I'd accept the consensus of people working on the issue in that country. I don't think that's an embarrassed silence, it's a recognition that I don't have all the answers and the people living there are better placed to decide on an effective strategy than outsiders.

But to come back to Ireland, and Europe in general, ban it. And punish anyone found guilty of practising it - but the intimate nature of the crime means that even here it's probably important not to have "punishment" as the main anti-FGM policy. The girls who are the intended victims need to know that it's illegal and where to go for help before it happens, as well as where to report a crime once it has occurred. That requires an education strategy.

Just feeling good about the severe punishments we've put in place may not actually prevent it happening, and may not even lead to people being punished for it, if the educational aspect of the policy is neglected.

Mercurial

Which is pretty obvious when you think about it - if some parents really want to subject their children to FGM they'll find a way to do it. The only way to get to those parents is to change their attitudes to the practice itself.

petaljam

And here I was thinking the resident "legitimate immigration concerns" group were actually concerned about the victims.

No it's just the daily two minutes of hate for the "leftist, Coppinger, Daly and the IT."
This is the problem - if it's about feeling self righteous, it doesn't matter if it works - and there is always a certain amount of that on these threads. It's rather like the reactions to those Roma children being taken away from their parents.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies