• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

FG's Mary Mitchell O’Connor property tax is “outrageous”

Grey Area

The IT reports that FG's Mary Mitchell O’Connor has said that the property tax is “outrageous”. Olivia Mitchell has also said she has had a huge number of representations from homeowners on the issue.

"Ms Mitchell O’Connor said the way the tax was being designed was unfair and “outrageous” and she would continue to lobby Mr Noonan."

"Mary Mitchell O’Connor from Dun Laoghaire and Olivia Mitchell from Dublin South said they had a huge number of representations from homeowners who had ordinary properties, were in negative equity, but would still face steep property taxes."

Feeling the heat? Wonder if FG will lose a few more backbenchers, on the plinth, after the budget or is this all just hot air?

Gilmore insists budget will protect the most vulnerable - The Irish Times - Tue, Dec 04, 2012

Last edited:

potholedogger

The IT reports that FG's Mary Mitchell O’Connor has said that the property tax is “outrageous”. Olivia Mitchell has also said she has had a huge number of representations from homeowners on the issue.

"Ms Mitchell O’Connor said the way the tax was being designed was unfair and “outrageous” and she would continue to lobby Mr Noonan."

"Mary Mitchell O’Connor from Dun Laoghaire and Olivia Mitchell from Dublin South said they had a huge number of representations from homeowners who had ordinary properties, were in negative equity, but would still face steep property taxes."

Feeling the heat? Wonder if FG will loose a few more bankbenchers after the budget or is this all just hot air?

Gilmore insists budget will protect the most vulnerable - The Irish Times - Tue, Dec 04, 2012
The Revenue raised will go a good way towards the cost of paying our Oireachtas Members' Salaries, Expenses, Pensions, and support Structures, along with the cost of maintaining so many Councillors.

Spanner Island

Feeling the heat? Wonder if FG will loose a few more bankbenchers after the budget or is this all just hot air?

The property tax as it's being implemented is a load of sh!te and will be wide open to abuse by vested interests and even the 'state' in future... because it will be in all their interests for property values to be as high as possible...

Anyone with any intelligence knows this...

It's a great pity our body politic seems to be largely devoid of any intelligence...

Orbit v2

I'm sure she'll still vote for the budget. No harm letting off a bit of steam in the lead up.

Grey Area

I'm sure she'll still vote for the budget. No harm letting off a bit of steam in the lead up.
It's either unfair and “outrageous” or it's fair and reasoned. Will MMO'C do a Shortall?

ShoutingIsLeadership

I think it's unfair. I also think O'Connor is probably playing to her gallery. However, she was elected by that gallery to be their messenger to the Dáil. A further however: when people voted for her it was in full knowledge that FG was planning a property tax.

So, I have decided, this is indeed parish pump politics.

Far better that she speak up against the PN - something which affects us all.

mk50

By a logistical logarithmic progression she will vote for the budget

potholedogger

The Mansion tax will likely be a tax of €2500 per Million of value per year.

The imposition of the tax will likely lower property values. A tax of 0.25% on property value could be capitalized at a multiple of 25 correlating to a depreciation of €62,500 per million of value of the home.

In short the Mansion tax will cause property to fall in value by 6.25% for a property liable @ 0.25% and 0.18% should fall in value by 4.5%

Last edited:

Good Irish Mammy

It's either unfair and “outrageous” or it's fair and reasoned. Will MMO'C do a Shortall?
Doubt it. With so many barely hanging on and counting their pennies, literally, at the end of the month, how are people meant to come up with the property-tax money? Out of what?

Grey Area

I think it's unfair. I also think O'Connor is probably playing to her gallery. However, she was elected by that gallery to be their messenger to the Dáil. A further however: when people voted for her it was in full knowledge that FG was planning a property tax.

So, I have decided, this is indeed parish pump politics.

Far better that she speak up against the PN - something which affects us all.
Wonder if FG's press office will have a word with her about it's manifesto?

beolight

Twitter
Oscarwildefan
Anybody able to track any price drops on myhome or daft since this was proposed?

Victor Meldrew

MMOC is inheriting Foxrock in the newly re-drawn constituencies. I think Olivia is staying in old Dub south.

both constituencies have significant old voters and expensive (still) houses.

MMOC is a former PD, and will go nowhere, because she would not be tolerated anywhere else.

statsman

Anybody able to track any price drops on myhome or daft since this was proposed?
Given the general fall in prices, how would you factor this in?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies