FG's Sen. Joe O'Reilly's 28 foreign trips in just 32 months - a waste of public money?

Paddy{ie

Yea he should have went business class like Lady Lou and got the party members to pay for it.
Did he pay for them himself then, or stick the taxpayer?

jmcc

Yea he should have went business class like Lady Lou and got the party members to pay for it.
At least they pay for it rather than the taxpayers paying for this snouter. But then you are a Labourite and it is the aspiration of your party, where six out of seven TDs are millionaires, to get your snouts in the public trough again.

Paddy{ie

At least they pay for it rather than the taxpayers paying for this snouter. But then you are a Labourite and it is the aspiration of your party, where six out of seven TDs are millionaires, to get your snouts in the public trough again.
Healy Rae brought Howlin down off his high horse today. What shame

hiding behind a poster

The question is why is a guy like O'Reilly travelling abroad so much and is he value for money.
The question is why, yet again, the denizens of politics.ie have completely missed the point about a story.

There's times on this site where the few people on here who actually know anything about politics, feel like the teacher in Ferris Bueller's Day Off:

s Day Off - YouTube

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The question is why, yet again, the denizens of politics.ie have completely missed the point about a story.

There's times on this site where the few people on here who actually know anything about politics, feel like the teacher in Ferris Bueller's Day Off:

s Day Off - YouTube
why don't you take a few minutes then to explain what the real point is instead of trawling YouTube for references to fictional stories?

paulp

why don't you take a few minutes then to explain what the real point is instead of trawling YouTube for references to fictional stories?
The real point of the story is clickbait.

You seem some outlandish headline, you click the link, the authors make money.

2 points on this particular story
1. If we're to be an open successful economy, loads of people representing the country will travel abroad. Eg. we have IDA representatives living all over the world. So as a grown up society, we can say yes, accept that the cost of that will easily run to 10s of millions and say that that makes sense and the overall benefit outweighs the costs many many times over.
2. In a previous job, I spent a year travelling a lot to European cities, the novelty wears off pretty quickly. The challenge for the business was to convince enough people to get on the road. And, typically, the average trip would cost more than in this case.

Unless there is some underlying element to the story that ST haven't published, then it's a pure clickbait bullsh!t story.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The real point of the story is clickbait.

You seem some outlandish headline, you click the link, the authors make money.

2 points on this particular story
1. If we're to be an open successful economy, loads of people representing the country will travel abroad. Eg. we have IDA representatives living all over the world. So as a grown up society, we can say yes, accept that the cost of that will easily run to 10s of millions and say that that makes sense and the overall benefit outweighs the costs many many times over.
2. In a previous job, I spent a year travelling a lot to European cities, the novelty wears off pretty quickly. The challenge for the business was to convince enough people to get on the road. And, typically, the average trip would cost more than in this case.

Unless there is some underlying element to the story that ST haven't published, then it's a pure clickbait bullsh!t story.
So Senator Joe would be able to justify the 28 trips in 32 months then? I wonder how. The role is not considered important enough to be budgeted for travel at EU level. So why are the Oireachtas paying for it?

hiding behind a poster

It's kinda sad that on a political discussion board, I'd have to. But I tell you what - I'll give you the links in the chain, in no particular order, and you see if you can put them together - ok?

Here we go -

1) Day One of nurses' strike. FG senator Joe O'Reilly joins nurses on a picket line in solidarity.

2) Last Wednesday. FG senator Joe O'Reilly gets savaged from all quarters at FG parliamentary party meeting, for undermining the government position (see 1) above).

3) Last Sunday. Unflattering story about FG senator Joe o'Reilly's expenses shows up in a Sunday newspaper.

Let me know what you have it, Sherlock.

artfoley56

It's kinda sad that on a political discussion board, I'd have to. But I tell you what - I'll give you the links in the chain, in no particular order, and you see if you can put them together - ok?

Here we go -

1) Day One of nurses' strike. FG senator Joe O'Reilly joins nurses on a picket line in solidarity.

2) Last Wednesday. FG senator Joe O'Reilly gets savaged from all quarters at FG parliamentary party meeting, for undermining the government position (see 1) above).

3) Last Sunday. Unflattering story about FG senator Joe o'Reilly's expenses shows up in a Sunday newspaper.

so FG have viciously leaked this to their cronies in the media to take out someone who disagreed with the party line?

the travel is excessive, TBF. but the antics you are inferring by your beloved party are much more serious and once again indicative of the cosy link between the FG gov and the media. how many ministers now have former media heads as advisors?

hiding behind a poster

so FG have viciously leaked this to their cronies in the media to take out someone who disagreed with the party line?
I'd say that's what's happened, yes - not FG directly, but an individual. Politics is a tough game, and when a public representative undermines his own party's position on the biggest news story of the day, he can expect consequences - be it FG or any other party.

the travel is excessive, TBF.
That's entirely a matter of opinion.

but the antics you are inferring by your beloved party are much more serious and once again indicative of the cosy link between the FG gov and the media. how many ministers now have former media heads as advisors?
No, it isn't. Journos are fed virtually everything they write, from people in all parties. They'd barely know what date to put on the front page is someone didn't leak it to them. Anyway media heads generally make good media advisers, because they know how the media works, and have contacts to get the good stuff out.

Degeneration X

Here we go -

So less Ferris Bueller and more like Wag the Dog?

artfoley56

I'd say that's what's happened, yes - not FG directly, but an individual. Politics is a tough game, and when a public representative undermines his own party's position on the biggest news story of the day, he can expect consequences - be it FG or any other party.
I'm sure its the govt position, not sure if that's reflected in the membership

No, it isn't. Journos are fed virtually everything they write, from people in all parties. They'd barely know what date to put on the front page is someone didn't leak it to them. Anyway media heads generally make good media advisers, because they know how the media works, and have contacts to get the good stuff out.
and there was me in all innocence thinking that advisors were there to ensure that the advisors are to advise the minister on the best course for the citizen, not to manage the message to get reelected. seeing as theyre paid from the public purse and all

culmore

seems a lot of trips, but costs very reasonable ,others going first class to South Africa and staying in 5 star Hotels cost a lot more, Maybe he is a hardworking politician.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Hopefully it'll turn out he's being cute and visiting only cities with new hospitals. And when no-one is watching he is nicking a piece of each hospital and smuggling it back in his baggage.

By the time Joe is finished Cavan will have a new Geripaediatriorthopaedic hospital that'll be the envy of the world. For nothing. Good man Joe.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies