FG’s shocking connection with Real IRA Terrorist

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com

In a shocking development the Special Criminal Court recently convicted and sentenced a Fine Gael member & activist of membership of the Real IRA.

Gerard Varian (aged 46), was convicted along with four others of membership of the Real IRA by the Special Criminal Court in May 05. Varian the Court heard was part of a Real IRA active service unit in Cork City and also worked closely with the Leadership of the Real IRA in Munster.

Varian was the only one of the four to have a character witness give evidence on his behalf, one of whom was former Lord Mayor of Cork Joe O’Callaghan, who testified under oath to the Judges of the Special Criminal Court that Gerard Varian joined the JJ Kelly Branch of Fine Gael in Cork North Central in 2003. Where he assisted him in being selected as a FG candidate for the 04 Local Elections.

Extract from The Phoenix 01/07/05
Can someone from Fine Gael confirm or deny if this convicted terrorist is still a member of their Party and if so is there any truth to the rumor he is working to establish a FG branch in the Republican wing of Portlaois Prison?

Bogwarrior

First of all, despite the court ruling, there is no evidence to suggest he is a member of the IRA, as no evidence was produced in court. He was interned. He denies ever being a member.
This outrageous slur is outdated and false. The RIRA have no connections whatsoever with this rump, Fine Gael.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Bogwarrior said:
First of all, despite the court ruling, there is no evidence to suggest he is a member of the IRA, as no evidence was produced in court. He was interned. He denies ever being a member.
This outrageous slur is outdated and false. The RIRA have no connections whatsoever with this rump, Fine Gael.
The fact remains he was convicted under the terms of the law. If he wasn't a member why did he leave a wreath signed 1st Battalion, 1st Brigade, Real IRA on a Republican Plot?

Kenny needs to come clean on this...

BarryW

TKwhiskers said:
is there any truth to the rumor he is working to establish a FG branch in the Republican wing of Portlaois Prison?
Oh my God - get a fcuking life

Has Moderation ceased completely here?? This is the 5th or 6th thread that this buffoon has started in the last few days, where he has trolled to his hearts content.
On two of the threads he made potentially libellous allegations and no-one said a word about it.

bombpetrol

This is actually the truth though, this was said in court mate!!! Much as you may not want to hear it.

bombpetrol

P.S at least this is factual unlike your made up story about a group of shinners who happend to get seats altogether on Sunday just so as they could boo at a minutes silence. Giving out about crap being posted? Those in glass houses should not throw stones a chara.

hiding behind a poster

TKWhiskers, we understand that you're starting to get a bit panicky about losing the next election, but try not to lose the head completely! This thread is following your fairly outlandish claim that Fine Gael "had a bad week" last week. I can't wait till we have whatever would, in your terms, constitute "a good week".....

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
hiding behind a poster said:
TKWhiskers, we understand that you're starting to get a bit panicky about losing the next election, but try not to lose the head completely! This thread is following your fairly outlandish claim that Fine Gael "had a bad week" last week. I can't wait till we have whatever would, in your terms, constitute "a good week".....
Perhaps he has it on good authority that Garret robbed Shergar or that the Blueshirts were shape-lifting lizards driving towards a new world order.

I'm amazed at the current line of threads, and I'm just waiting to see where the next nugget takes us.

On the subject of the post - most parties work on an honour system which expects new members to 'declare their interests' rather than face vetting. This makes sense - esepecially in a fast growing party like Fine Gael. If this story is true (I don't read the Phoenix as much these days, and I didn't hear it on the mainstream news) then I think you can take it that the individual will be expelled. What do you think would happen???

hiding behind a poster

On the subject of the post - most parties work on an honour system which expects new members to 'declare their interests' rather than face vetting. This makes sense - esepecially in a fast growing party like Fine Gael. If this story is true (I don't read the Phoenix as much theses days, and I didn't hear it on the mainstream news) then I think you can take it that the individual will be expelled. What do you think would happen???
[/quote]

Yep, I assume said member will be expelled straightaway - And I too am looking forward to TKWhiskers' next post - probably something along the lines of "The potential alternative government is in tatters, and Fine Gael are reeling, from the hammer blow that is the news that Richard Bruton once said "bollo*x" while watching a football match back in the 70s.....

cain1798

TKwhiskers said:
If he wasn't a member why did he leave a wreath signed 1st Battalion, 1st Brigade, Real IRA on a Republican Plot?
If anything that's evidence he's unlikely to be a member of the Real IRA. Wreaths are laid on behalf of the IRA at commemorations all over the country. Do you really think an organisation of which it is a criminal offence to be a member identify themselves in this way? Generally someone is asked to lay it on their behalf.

I also would like to know if he has been expelled or not but I can't say it's the biggest issue in Irish politics.

hiding behind a poster

I also would like to know if he has been expelled or not but I can't say it's the biggest issue in Irish politics.
[/quote]

Well said Cain - I don't agree with you very often, but I do on this!

cain1798

Well said Cain - I don't agree with you very often, but I do on this![/quote]

I won't tell anyone. Soon I'll say something you disagree with and normal service can be resumed. :D

hiding behind a poster

[
quote="cain1798"]
[quote:1woxqky7]I also would like to know if he has been expelled or not but I can't say it's the biggest issue in Irish politics.

Well said Cain - I don't agree with you very often, but I do on this![/quote:1woxqky7]

I won't tell anyone. Soon I'll say something you disagree with and normal service can be resumed. :D[/quote][/quote]

So anyway, Cain, who do you reckon robbed the Northern Bank? :lol: :lol: :lol:

DOD

The last time there was a thread on this it was deleted because the case was ongoing. Presumably when the case has finished we can talk about it. I'll check with David.

Ironic that people like Barry W are so quick to call this trolling when it is said about them. How many shinners have been convicted of real IRA membership?

Like Cain, I actually don't care too much about this. Unlike the shower in FG, we don't hold whole parties accountable for actions of individual members.

cain1798

[
quote="cain1798"][quote="hiding behind a poster":1pkykia1][quote:1pkykia1]I also would like to know if he has been expelled or not but I can't say it's the biggest issue in Irish politics.

Well said Cain - I don't agree with you very often, but I do on this![/quote:1pkykia1]

I won't tell anyone. Soon I'll say something you disagree with and normal service can be resumed. :D[/quote:1pkykia1][/quote]

So anyway, Cain, who do you reckon robbed the Northern Bank? :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Pogo. I'm convinced it was Pogo.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
DOD said:
we don't hold whole parties accountable for actions of individual members.
I'd agree to a point - however, if within a small cell of the party there are repeated allegations, such as finding election materials in the possession of convicted members or corruption for that matter, then perhaps the party needs to improve it's oversight in that cell.

Libero

Some months back I locked a thread on this issue when it was still sub judice before the Special Criminal Court. I hope that users can appreciate the difference between blocking discussion on a case when it is before the courts and after the verdict is in.

Couple of points to note for future reference...
- if someone is convicted in court of IRA membership, it is not libellous to repeat the finding of the court
- F.A.O. BarryW: either something is libellous or it's not. In this case, it's not. "Potentially libellous" means nothing.
- the question posed "is there any to the rumor he is working to establish a FG branch in the Republican wing of Portlaois Prison?" is clearly an attempt at humour and anyhow is not defamatory, unless FGers here are to tell us that setting up a branch of the party lowers one's reputation in the eyes of right-thinking members of society (actually, don't speculate on that!)

BarryW

Libero said:
- F.A.O. BarryW: either something is libellous or it's not. In this case, it's not. "Potentially libellous" means nothing
Really?
As CrockerJarman has pointed out on another thread, the laws on defamation are complex, and only the most seasoned and skilled lawyers can even attempt to crack them.

So who am I to decide whether something is libellous or not?
And, for that matter, who the hell are you to do so ?!

BarryW

Libero said:
Cos I'm a moderator and you're not
Being a Moderator qualifies you to make judgements on legal matters, does it?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies