"Fianna Éireann" scangers.

A.Tomás

Has anyone else noticed posters of some proto-ra-head, wearing sunglasses and a beret and a black uniform, popping up around the place. A "Republican Youth Movement" they call themselves. :roll:

I've seen some around St.James' Hospital, off O'Connell St, at the Aisling Hotel (there was a also a "IRB commemorative" thingy majig poster there) and even right beside the Garda station at the Four Courts.

(pretty much if your on the middle of the red luas line).

A.Tomás

Jeepers, they are embarrassing. I think they've been around a while though. (not the historical circa 1900's Fianna Éireann of course)!!!

Tea Party Patriot

Last edited:
S

SeamusNapoleon

'Most of the new "lilywhites", as they were known during the Provisional IRA campaign, were members of families with a record of involvement in republican activities.'

- is that not the total opposite of what a 'lilywhite' is..?

Ruaidhri

I've seen some of their posters around my area. Fianna Eireann is the militant section of Real Sinn Fein led by Ruaidhri O Bradaigh.

Watcher2

I've seen some of their posters around my area. Fianna Eireann is the militant section of Real Sinn Fein led by Ruaidhri O Bradaigh.
How many Sinn Fein/IRA splinter groups are there now? I have heard of RIRA, CIRA (I think) Eirigi and some others who I cant remember because they are all the same just dont agree with one or two of the thoughts in the other groups. Is this a case of I'll join this group until I dont like something about them and then join/form another?

inchicore_republican

No they are an independent Fianna Eireann with no connection to the Fianna Eireann that is connected to RSF, I know its confusing.

diy01

I believe it's Republican Sinn Féin. 'Real Sinn Féin' appears to be a small breakaway group based in Limerick and Clare. Literally a handful of former members.

The original Fianna Éireann came into existence around 1903. My understanding is that all the main republican groups have a 'youth wing' that claims the name however, but the biggest is aligned to Republican Sinn Féin and the Continuity IRA. The group largely sided with RSF in 1986 over the issue of abstention.

Largely irrelevant group all the same..

inchicore_republican

I believe it's Republican Sinn Féin. 'Real Sinn Féin' appears to be a small breakaway group based in Limerick and Clare. Literally a handful of former members.

The original Fianna Éireann came into existence around 1903. My understanding is that all the main republican groups have a 'youth wing' that claims the name however, but the biggest is aligned to Republican Sinn Féin and the Continuity IRA. The group largely sided with RSF in 1986 over the issue of abstention.

Largely irrelevant group all the same..
No the Fianna Eireann posters all around Dublin are of an independant group, I think they are also looking to set up a flute band.

diy01

How many Sinn Fein/IRA splinter groups are there now? I have heard of RIRA, CIRA (I think) Eirigi and some others who I cant remember because they are all the same just dont agree with one or two of the thoughts in the other groups.
In the interests of accuracy, I wouldn't say éirígí are an 'IRA splinter group'. They are mainly ex-Provisional Sinn Féin members from Dublin.

There are at least three active, armed republican groups.
The Continuity IRA (some say founded in 1986, others say 1994 or 1995) with pockets of small support in Lurgan and south Fermanagh, apparently.
Two factions of the Real IRA > One mainly known as the Real IRA (RIRA) and the other which only goes by the Irish form Óglaigh na hÉireann (ONH). One has a stronghold in Derry and the other seems to operate primarily from the north Louth/south Armagh region.

The confusion arises from the fact that all these groups are known in Irish as Óglaigh na hÉireann, but are popularly known by their English language titles, aside from ONH. The Irish Defense Forces are known as Óglaigh na hÉireann and would be regarded by most people as the only legitimate group.

Apparently there was yet another 'Óglaigh na hÉireann' which resulted from a split in the CIRA two or three years ago which operated in Strabane...but it's no longer in existence.

You also hear from time to time about shadowy groups like Saoirse na hÉireann, the Irish Republican Liberation Army, the [new] Irish Republican Brotherhood etc, but I have a feeling these are either media inventions or cover names for various criminal elements...

What's known for certani is that there are at least three distinct republican paramilitary groups.

diy01

No the Fianna Eireann posters all around Dublin are of an independant group, I think they are also looking to set up a flute band.
Alright, let me rephrase. There is an independent Fianna Éireann, as well as various other groups claiming the same named linked to RSF, the 32 CSM etc...

The IRBB is full of pics of Fianna at RSF commemorations etc. They seem to be the most active.

A.Tomás

I wonder how long these laughable posters are going to be left up. As I've said before there's even one right beside four courts Garda station. If they were in D4 they'd probably be down by now. It's sight pollution. Bunch of clowns.

Fir Bolg

In the interests of accuracy, I wouldn't say éirígí are an 'IRA splinter group'. They are mainly ex-Provisional Sinn Féin members from Dublin.

There are at least three active, armed republican groups.
The Continuity IRA (some say founded in 1986, others say 1994 or 1995) with pockets of small support in Lurgan and south Fermanagh, apparently.
Two factions of the Real IRA > One mainly known as the Real IRA (RIRA) and the other which only goes by the Irish form Óglaigh na hÉireann (ONH). One has a stronghold in Derry and the other seems to operate primarily from the north Louth/south Armagh region.

The confusion arises from the fact that all these groups are known in Irish as Óglaigh na hÉireann, but are popularly known by their English language titles, aside from ONH. The Irish Defense Forces are known as Óglaigh na hÉireann and would be regarded by most people as the only legitimate group.

Apparently there was yet another 'Óglaigh na hÉireann' which resulted from a split in the CIRA two or three years ago which operated in Strabane...but it's no longer in existence.

You also hear from time to time about shadowy groups like Saoirse na hÉireann, the Irish Republican Liberation Army, the [new] Irish Republican Brotherhood etc, but I have a feeling these are either media inventions or cover names for various criminal elements...

What's known for certani is that there are at least three distinct republican paramilitary groups.

ONH are more Belfast based

diy01

Hmm, leadership is thought to be more Louth based, is it not? Or north Louth + Belfast?

Nordie Northsider

I wonder how long these laughable posters are going to be left up. As I've said before there's even one right beside four courts Garda station. If they were in D4 they'd probably be down by now. It's sight pollution. Bunch of clowns.
Does anyone know if they are a prescribed organisation i.e. can you get done for membership?

Cael

Has anyone else noticed posters of some proto-ra-head, wearing sunglasses and a beret and a black uniform, popping up around the place. A "Republican Youth Movement" they call themselves. :roll:

I've seen some around St.James' Hospital, off O'Connell St, at the Aisling Hotel (there was a also a "IRB commemorative" thingy majig poster there) and even right beside the Garda station at the Four Courts.

(pretty much if your on the middle of the red luas line).
Na Fianna Éireann are the finest youths in Ireland. Beannacht Dé orthu.

New Threads

Most Replies