• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fianna Fáil Belfast

cmca1

Last edited:

vivabrigada

Good post.
I can't see them having "roots" as such in Belfast. Newry, and Derry and other border areas would be pretty familiar with FF, SF and the SDLP have "Nationalist Belfast" pretty much sewn up.
Interesting proposition, though.

Swords Hoopster

Bunch of hucksters and crooks.

I don't think the SDLP need worry about them.

death or glory

Personally speaking I think FF in NI will have about as much success from natioalists as the conservative party for the Unionists.

vivabrigada

Personally speaking I think FF in NI will have about as much success from natioalists as the conservative party for the Unionists.
I must be still under the influence from yesterday, I fully agree with you!
I'll get my coat.;)

Cai

FF is an unusual party in European terms. It's a product of the political culture of the Southern state. The political culture of the North is quite different. Take FF out of it's socio political environment & it has as much chance as a fish out of water.

death or glory

runwiththewind

SF have FG/FF running scared of 1916 and the declared republic. Questions will be asked as to where's the Rep we were promised and with FF in power for most of it, they are facing a real threat of public denunciation as abject failures?

Then there is the WOI and the Civil War to deal with. Both parties are peeing in their pants over of the upcoming centenaries. Now if our media would grow some balls.

Good on SF for pushing both parties back against the wall.

Ren84

FFailure, the party of sleeveens, crooks and populist opportunists. They should appeal to the DUP so.

Marcella

If this was a genuine move north then it should be welcomed.
However, it does smell of opportunism, a cynical attempt to hold republican votes in the south rather than gain votes in the north.

vivabrigada

Éamonn an Chnoic

De Valera stood - successfully - in Northern Ireland in the 1930s.
It's true for you, but a former south down mp reclaiming his seat does not equate to Fianna Fáil being an all island party. Fianna Fáil like Fine Gael abandoned the Northern Catholics to be burned out of their homes with no police protection. It should be their undoing and eternal shame but it doesn't really bother them of their supporters.

Cruimh

It's true for you, but a former south down mp reclaiming his seat does not equate to Fianna Fáil being an all island party. Fianna Fáil like Fine Gael abandoned the Northern Catholics to be burned out of their homes with no police protection. It should be their undoing and eternal shame but it doesn't really bother them of their supporters.
A lot more complicated than the simplistic and inaccurate version of history you are pushing.

Éamonn an Chnoic

A lot more complicated than the simplistic and inaccurate version of history you are pushing.
Not in relation to Fianna Fáils head in the sand policy in relation to Catholics in the North. Of course it's more complex than my one paragraph in that post. I'd like to see you fit the entire history of Northern politics into one paragraph. I was trying to keep it to the thread title. Fianna Fáil in the north and their abandonment of their supporters there.

Éamonn an Chnoic

They never really had any supporters here. FF sprang from SF - the North was Wee Joe and the AOH territory. In fact around the time of Sunningdale the SDLP 'blackmailed' the Coalition government by threatening to throw their weight behind FF....
As the anti treaty and "anti partitionist" party of the Nationalist or anti unionist people of Ireland it could be argued they would have had support if they had organized on an all island basis.

I'm not saying you are wrong, i am just saying they opposed partition, they were abstentionists during the shameful acceptance of the boundary commission or the abandonment of the boundary commission for finanancial recompense...

J

Johnny Boy

It has been discussed before - FF moving north - but this week the first meeting of Belfast Fianna Fail took place. It would be interesting to see if they run in future elections!

Fianna Fáil Belfast host inaugural meeting | Fianna Fáil

Any thoughts on this?

Is there an appetite for FF in Northern Ireland?

If so, what implications does it have for the SDLP and SF?

Alasdair McDonnell was at the FF Ard Fheis recently.
https://twitter.com/purdypols/status/327814363543109633
I can't see them having any impact. They have a terrible reputation, and most northern nationalists view them with utter contempt imo.