Fianna Fail holding selection convention for Donegal South West candidate this Sunday

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Fianna Fail have announced that a selection convention will take place this Sunday evening in the Highlands Hotel Glenties to select their candidate for the Donegal South West by election, which was confirmed this morning as taking place three weeks from today on Thursday November 25th.

Nominations for selection close on Saturday.

Pat The Cope Gallagher has ruled himself out of contesting the by election for the party, having vacated the seat in June of last year after been elected to the European Parliament for Ireland North West. Gallagher's wife has also declined an approach to run as has the FAI's Packie Bonner.

Senator Brian O Domhnaill is currently the frontrunner to secure the party's nomination. O Domhnaill was previously a councillor for Glenties, and was one of Bertie Ahern's nominees to the Seanad in 2007 after O Domhnaill failed to get elected to the Seanad on the Industrial and Commercial Panel.

Tomas Mor

Saw a TG4 documentary on O Domhnaill sometime after the 2004 local elections. He seems to be a good organiser and secured a good vote. His tactics and methods reminded me of the old days of politics in rural Ireland such as sending a car out for people who not yet voted ! He probably is about the best FF have on offer now.

popular1

Saw a TG4 documentary on O Domhnaill sometime after the 2004 local elections. He seems to be a good organiser and secured a good vote. His tactics and methods reminded me of the old days of politics in rural Ireland such as sending a car out for people who not yet voted ! He probably is about the best FF have on offer now.
know him and he is one of the worst kind of parish pump politicians you could have, but he has a good chance because thats what the people here want, he also has a court case pending because of a fracas that occurred on the way back from a night out where he was assualted allegedly which has attracted a lot of attention

popular1

they all send cars out in gweedore, ff sf fg, no prob get a lift to polling station there on a wet day

gweedore

O Domhnaill is one of these guys born with a suit on classic fianna fail his brother is a councillor supposedly non party
i dont think he would fancy his chances one on one with pearse doherty
well known animosity between him and pat the cope
wouldn't be surprised if the story of packie bonner standing for ff is coming from pat the cope's camp to put the wind up O Domhnaill

Tomas Mor

will Coughlan be fully behind him, or the Gallagher machine - I read somewhere there is tension with latter .

popular1

will Coughlan be fully behind him, or the Gallagher machine - I read somewhere there is tension with latter .
there is tension between gallagher and o donnell, i dont quite know why because to me they are both the same but it might be something to do with o donnell being uppity and if he gets elected the power will move over to cloghaneely and away from the rosses and pat the cope's crowd

Aridion

As far as I know Brian o Domhnaill beat Pearse Doherty in a County Council election a number of years ago. It seems likely that he will be the candidate for FF. However it couldn't be a worse time to run as a FFer in a Bye election.

pandora

there is tension between gallagher and o donnell, i dont quite know why because to me they are both the same
It would be hard to imagine two men more different. Could you see Pat the Cope getting involved in a row outside a night club in the early hours?

O Domhaill will send cars out for the voters alright BUT how does he know what they'll do once they get into the polling booth.

Goldencircle

Have seen his posters and I can confirm that his head is indeed fat enough to earn him the FF ticket.

My Donegal sources also vouch for Popular1 and Gweedore's comments.
Gombeen to the max ,but sure what else would we expect

iolar

Anyone know what time this selection convention is on tonight?

Anyone going?

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Rumour has it that another person who wants the nomination has gone forward for selection tonight against the wishes of HQ.

FF didn't reply to any emails of mine on Friday about candidate selection, so I'm not sure what the story is.

Rumour has it that another person who wants the nomination has gone forward for selection tonight against the wishes of HQ.

FF didn't reply to any emails of mine on Friday about candidate selection, so I'm not sure what the story is.
How dare they !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't they KNOW WHO YOU ARE.....

iolar

Do we have any names??

Via twitter:

No surprises in Glenties in the end O'Domhaill going through unopposed as the FF candidate for the Donegal by-election
So that's that then.

seosamh1979

Website
www.vica.ie
No matter! Sinn Fein will take the seat

Tomas Mor

Bonner, McGowan and some other chap withdrew. And just by coincidence, O Domhnaill's brother rejoined FF on Friday. He had left on matters of principle, now his principal concern is to get de brudder elected !

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies