• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fianna Fáil In The 6 Counties

dublincitizen

Can anyone shed light on what the story is with Fianna Fáil in the North? They opened their first party offices in Armagh a few months back, but have yet to announce any plans to run candidates in next years Stormont elections.

Will we see them contesting elections any time soon? And if so will they be launching a 6 county-specific manifesto?

Iarmhi Gael

More chance of Gary Glitter being Minister for Education in Northern Ireland then Fianna Fail getting a vote or mandate accross the border.

They have single handedly set unification of this Island back 100 years and done more to support the Union with Great Britain then any Unionist party could ever hope for

sport02

Fianna Fail going to head up north and sell the idea that they are a repulican party with policies that merits voting for.
The shower of bastar-ds crippled the economy, and has threatend our soverignty, and has put the notion of a united Ireland, sitting with pre-historic artifacts in some museum.

dublincitizen

Don't they have a cumaan at QUB ?
Yeh, and Ulster University. They opened an official FF office in Crossmaglen though in July. But yet theres been no announcement made on whether they'll be running candidates in elections.

Are they holding off to see if Sinn Féin come out the largest party? Or is it all just tokenism?

It just seems odd why its taken them so long to establish there.

Cruimh

Yeh, and Ulster University. They opened an official FF office in Crossmaglen though in July. But yet theres been no announcement made on whether they'll be running candidates in elections.

Are they holding off to see if Sinn Féin come out the largest party? Or is it all just tokenism?

It just seems odd why its taken them so long to establish there.
I reckon they see a gap in the market - the stoops are weak and SF may have peaked - and if they can undermine SF in NI then they will be less of a threat in the ROI.

Sync

I really don't see the point in the offices. Any money spent there is wasted, they're never going to get elected, no more than FG would, or the DUP would in the Republic. There's no appetite amongst the population for it.

From my understanding; at the moment FF have various cumainn across the North but have decided at the moment not to contest elections on the basis that it would split a nationalist vote and they would be shown up by SF and the SDLP. Various elements of the SDLP would like a merger with FF (or they did before the crash) others however take the 'Labour' part of the SDLP a bit more seriously.

SideysGhost

FF have been blethering on about this and making occassional coy and meaningless gestures that fizzle out and go nowhere for their entire existance. It's all bollocks and merely window-dressing that they trot out every once in a while to fool the latest generation of young idiots that FF are somehow republican and "sound" on the national question.

They do the minimum necessary to keep up the pretence while always being very careful not to actually have any Northern policies or contest elections.

It's a scam to hoover up soft republican votes in the south and thus protect a number of seats in the Dáil, thus preserving their ability to keep plundering the wealth of the nation.

paddywhack

They have a better chance of gaining power in the North than they have in the next election here.

ArtyisBack

They have 3 "Fora" based on the counties Armagh, Fermanagh and Down. The only one you ever hear about are Armagh, who are based in Crossmaglen and seem to be a one man show as the only person who gets the limelight is the ex prison escapee Martin McAllister. He was in Portlaoise and took part in the escape from there. If this is the background of members they get in the north little wonder they are going nowhere as you can get the undiluted version in Sinn Fein. I would suspect that the membership is so small they cannot risk any electoral escapades, and even if they did, they would get laughed at as they have done nothing except showboating with stunts like parading Matt Baggot around Crossmaglen and inviting Cowen up to a local hotel to address a small gathering following the opening of the local office.

The Down forum seems to be concentrated in Downpatrick as that is were they launched last year but I have not heard of them anywhere else in that county.

The Fermanagh forum seems to have disappeared entirely since they launched last November?

I have seen on the internet that they expected Antrim to launch in September - never happened - and Derry soon thereafter.

It appears to me that they have a few members who like to put forward an impression that they are organised across the north but in reality they have a few dreamers who meet in the local - have a few pints - plan a stunt and then go home. No meaningful work on the ground is apparent.

In terms of thye north I would say that they are not even on the radar.

A joke in fact.

SinnShane

The brass neck to presume the people of the 6 counties will take to them after the misery they've wrought on the 26-county state.
Anyway, they need all the resources they can muster to survive south of the border.

PS: You know they're in serious trouble when they go down this path.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
FF have huge issues to address in this country rather than have the distraction of getting involved in N.I. politics.