Fianna Fáil Leadership Battle

emulator

It seems Barry Cowen is running a flanking action on the leadership of his party. He is writing to the FF parliamentary group. Surely this can only be seen as a move / canvass for the title ?

In a letter to Fianna Fáil TDs and Senators, the party’s spokesman on housing Barry Cowen strongly criticised Fine Gael for allowing the impending leadership contest interfere with the Oireachtas committee examining the future of water charges.
Fianna Fáil warns it may not facilitate election of new Taoiseach

Analyzer

Another Cowen in charge of the publican party. Perfect.

emulator

Another Cowen in charge of the publican party. Perfect.
Are we ready for another Cowen in a leadership role in this Country ? :shock:

It's pretty clear he has designs on the leadership after this move... Martin has been awfully quiet of late and has been under massive pressure since that drop in the polls. The recent visit of his former boss to Leinster House must've increased his angst.

stakerwallace

Cowen? Get up the yard. Hasn't a hope not to mind an original notion.

Sister Mercedes

Barry Cowen thinks Brian's only problem was he wasn't reckless enough with the public finances. Barry wants to finish the job.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Smokey and the Bandit. Big Enos and Little Enos.

emulator

Cowen? Get up the yard. Hasn't a hope not to mind an original notion.
He seems to be interested...

He's sending letters behind his leader's back to the FF PP suggesting pulling support for the Confidence & Supply arrangement. He's deliberately trying to undermine the leadership of his own party.

Prester Jim

He does not seem too have any political like-ability at all, very aggressive and bullying manner. I get the idea that he feels hard done by, perhaps he has a chip on his shoulder about Brian getting all the plaudits for having the brains.
On the plus side he has obviously lived and breathed politics for his entire life, seems like a typical political family, he was the spare rather than the heir but he has a handle on his brief. It is more his temperament I would be worried about, he has something to prove and that could get in the way of pragmatic decision making.

OldHat

Another Cowan looking for the top job,, Bertie on the Tele or radio every day, Willie O Dea throwing shapes during the week and if there's an election Mary Hanifin will surely be back.

The good old days.

emulator

He does not seem too have any political like-ability at all, very aggressive and bullying manner. I get the idea that he feels hard done by, perhaps he has a chip on his shoulder about Brian getting all the plaudits for having the brains.
On the plus side he has obviously lived and breathed politics for his entire life, seems like a typical political family, he was the spare rather than the heir but he has a handle on his brief. It is more his temperament I would be worried about, he has something to prove and that could get in the way of pragmatic decision making.
This move has all the hallmarks of that personality you mention to be sure.

There's a feeling within FF though that there's too much indecision there and they should be pushing harder on FG. I get the feeling he sees this as his time. Looks like he wanted to plant a seed as the PP headed off for the Easter break...

Prester Jim

This move has all the hallmarks of that personality you mention to be sure.

There's a feeling within FF though that there's too much indecision there and they should be pushing harder on FG. I get the feeling he sees this as his time. Looks like he wanted to plant a seed as the PP headed off for the Easter break...
That fits alright, Martin is smart but an appalling ditherer. Cowen is obviously frustrated.

Sister Mercedes

I find it breathtaking that FF would support FG over Garda corruption but would bring the govt down over the smallest water charge in Europe.

emulator

I find it breathtaking that FF would support FG over Garda corruption but would bring the govt down over the smallest water charge in Europe.
Even more breathtaking given FF signed off on them in the first place, something that seems to be really grating on FG...

bokuden

Couldn't imagine Cowan gaining the support needed. I thought it would be either John mcguinness or jim o'callaghan.

emulator

Couldn't imagine Cowan gaining the support needed. I thought it would be either John mcguinness or jim o'callaghan.
Jim has been jostling too with many media appearances of late but he's a bit of a damp duffle in the personality stakes. Neither McGuinness or O'Callaghan have taken it as far as writing to the whole PP.

Cowen is actively pinging the leadership.

TheWolf

Martin has been very quiet of late alright. The FF PP may feel he's being a bit too quite...
Probably keeping his head down in case any more dodgy 'donations' from developers pop up in his wife's Dublin bank account.....

bokuden

Jim has been jostling too with many media appearances of late but he's a bit of a damp duffle in the personality stakes. Neither McGuinness or O'Callaghan have taken it as far as writing to the whole PP.

Cowen is actively pinging the leadership.
I thought that about Bertie ahern before he got the top job! Ff like dub leaders. They do well under them ( as for the country as a whole, well... ) mcguiness was very vocal on the gardai investigations.

New Threads

Most Replies