• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fianna Fail not yet buried at the crossroads

Tomas Mor

Looking at RTE news last night I see FF can still pack a few hundred into a hotel room in Ennis, to announce further bad news via Mr. O Cuiv, and to be addressed by media created wonder boy, Mr. Bean- Dara Calleary. Some of the punters can still go on air to defend them. While I suppose many of them were local cllrs at this regional event,and probably had jobs and perks from the party paid for by public funds, one still has to have a certain admiration for their neck and courage given what they have done to our country and sold out on us all. Lesser beings would be hiding in the cupboards daring only to come out in the dead of night,dreading the clove of garlic or the stake through the heart.

TommyO'Brien

Looking at RTE news last night I see FF can still pack a few hundred into a hotel room in Ennis, to announce further bad news via Mr. O Cuiv, and to be addressed by media created wonder boy, Mr. Bean- Dara Calleary. Some of the punters can still go on air to defend them. While I suppose many of them were local cllrs and probably had jobs and perks from the party paid for by public funds, one still has to have a certain admiration for their neck and courage given what they have done to our country and sold out on us all. Lesser beings would be hiding in the cupboards daring only to come out in the dead of night,dreading the clove of garlic or the stake through the heart.
Actually, what struck me was the number of empty seats, and people spread out to fill up rows. FF in the past would have been standing room only, not empty seats.

Pauli

More speeches like Doherty's may build up a momentum and it could be open season on FF from close quarters. And the next election could be endgame for the Soldiers of Corruption.

Tomas Mor

Actually, what struck me was the number of empty seats, and people spread out to fill up rows. FF in the past would have been standing room only, not empty seats.

I know there were some empty seats, but the fact that they can muster a somewhat respectable sort of crowd still is worrying. They have not gone away.

oggy

Neither of the two Brian's were there. A similar conference from FG and Labour would only have half the attendance.
I was at the Dublin Conference in June and it was standing room only. Cowen spoke for 30 to 45 minutes without notes with fact after fact and no waffle. Lenihan also spoke showing his usual brilliance. ABFF simple cannot get the message, FF are leading a government facing a severe recession nationally and internationally and its head down time and getting on with the severe corrections to be made to the economy. Can only say to the ABFF, make sure you carry a towel throughout the election campaign to wipe the sweat of your brows when faced with the FF onslought on your weak policies and usual fear laden desire for government

splashy

Neither of the two Brian's were there. A similar conference from FG and Labour would only have half the attendance.
I was at the Dublin Conference in June and it was standing room only. Cowen spoke for 30 to 45 minutes without notes with fact after fact and no waffle. Lenihan also spoke showing his usual brilliance. ABFF simple cannot get the message, FF are leading a government facing a severe recession nationally and internationally and its head down time and getting on with the severe corrections to be made to the economy. Can only say to the ABFF, make sure you carry a towel throughout the election campaign to wipe the sweat of your brows when faced with the FF onslought on your weak policies and usual fear laden desire for government
There are none so blind...

If FF are 'buried at the crossroads' we might see more people living up to Dev's idea of Ireland.

SinnShane

To be fair FF are the government. You would expect it.

FakeViking

Cowen spoke for 30 to 45 minutes without notes with fact after fact and no waffle.
"Going Forward.
Turning the Corner.
We are where we are.
Lehman's fault."

There must have been a lot of padding to get that to stretch to 30 to 45 minutes. Did you have a little doze in the middle?

oggy

Love Comical oggy :)
Forget about FF for 5 minutes and tell us how Labour are going to turn this country into paradise. Will you have it done before Labour's 100 Anniversary because bejapers you need something to celebrate your miserable history !

SinnShane

FF's goose is well and truely cooked and they know it too.
No amount of stage managed showpiece events like this one will undo the damage they've done to the state in the past 15 years.

LeDroit

I bring tragic, tragic news. I'm at a wedding in Mayo. Inexplicably the Taoiseach wandered up the aisle to get communion and stunned the crowd. A murmur fluttered through the congregation and everybody was all-a-tizzy. The poor bride was soon forgotten as the topic of conversation moved to, 'Jaysus, what's himself doing here? Isn't it weary he's looking'.

His wife, Mary, looked very well, in the best of gear, according to my missus. The other ladies were raving about her 'shstyle'.

The big man, and he's bigger in the flesh, was doing the sitting at the back of the church-corner of the pub-don't mind me, 'I'm only one of the lads' horse-sh!t. When I saw him I licked my lips at the thought of the post-ceremony ear bashing he'd get from a crew who, prior to the mass, were in group therapy mode explaining their woes.

He came back to the reception and, despite the bride's best efforts, was the topic of every table's conversation. I mingled to get a flavour and was heartened to hear virtual universal condemnation of his performance as Taoiseach but then it happened. The father of the bride opened his speech with a five minute eulogy of the man. 'I must point out the presence of 'our' Taoiseach and commend him for coming despite the enormous work-load he has. He's a man under real pressure'. I nearly vomited. But to your correspondent's stunned surprise there was a massive round of applause with cheering!! The tables which had been excoriating him five minutes before were now flapping like seals.

I cornered a table-mate of mine immediately afterwards who had been particularly scathing of Biffo during dinner but who had applauded with gusto only to hear the most terrifying words. 'In fairness, he's taking sh!tty decisions and he's brave'. OH MY GOD!!!!

I got a vision into the mindset of a poll-booth voter last night and it wasn't pretty. The see-you-next-tuesdays are not dead yet.

greengoose2

I bring tragic, tragic news. I'm at a wedding in Mayo. Inexplicably the Taoiseach wandered up the aisle to get communion and stunned the crowd. A murmur fluttered through the congregation and everybody was all-a-tizzy. The poor bride was soon forgotten as the topic of conversation moved to, 'Jaysus, what's himself doing here? Isn't it weary he's looking'.

His wife, Mary, looked very well, in the best of gear, according to my missus. The other ladies were raving about her 'shstyle'.

The big man, and he's bigger in the flesh, was doing the sitting at the back of the church-corner of the pub-don't mind me, 'I'm only one of the lads' horse-sh!t. When I saw him I licked my lips at the thought of the post-ceremony ear bashing he'd get from a crew who, prior to the mass, were in group therapy mode explaining their woes.

He came back to the reception and, despite the bride's best efforts, was the topic of every table's conversation. I mingled to get a flavour and was heartened to hear virtual universal condemnation for his performance as Taoiseach but then it happened. The father of the bride opened his speech with a five minute eulogy of the man. 'I must point out the presence of 'our' Taoiseach and commend him for coming despite the enormous work-load he has. He's a man under real pressure'. I nearly vomited. But to your correspondent's stunned surprise there was a massive round of applause with cheering!! The tables which had been excoriating him five minutes before were now flapping like seals.

I cornered a table-mate of mine immediately afterwards who had been particularly scathing of Biffo during dinner but who had applauded with gusto only to hear the most terrifying words. 'In fairness, he's taking sh!tty decisions and he's brave'. OH MY GOD!!!!

I got a vision into the mindset of a poll-booth voter last night and it wasn't pretty. The see-you-next-tuesdays are not dead yet.
I'm mightily surprised you didn't walk of of that affair! I have done so for much milder provocation. You have strange and dangerous friends.

danger here

The tables which had been excoriating him five minutes before were now flapping like seals.
That's the Irish electorate right there.Overawed at celebrity.It sounds like if Hitler showed up they'd have a party

oggy

He came back to the reception and, despite the bride's best efforts, was the topic of every table's conversation. I mingled to get a flavour and was heartened to hear virtual universal condemnation of his performance as Taoiseach but then it happened. The father of the bride opened his speech with a five minute eulogy of the man. 'I must point out the presence of 'our' Taoiseach and commend him for coming despite the enormous work-load he has. He's a man under real pressure'. I nearly vomited. But to your correspondent's stunned surprise there was a massive round of applause with cheering!! The tables which had been excoriating him five minutes before were now flapping like seals.

Great story and I believe every word of it

Magror14

Ah yes, Le Droit, the inability of Irish people to be up front and forthright never ceases to amaze. Having said that most people who have met An Taoiseach will tell you he is a likeable chap (a requirement of the job I suppose)

At this stage I would be surprized if there wasn't a sizeable section of FF who believe that only a period in opposition could save the party from extinction.

Garland Names the Skies

If your national electoral hopes are gaged based on your ability to fill a room at some junket then you are in serious trouble

oggy

The fact that you do doesn't diminish your inanity! What village do you come from? There's a missing person's alert somewhere that needs attending to!
I see you live in Kipsville, born there and happy with your lot ?

Tomas Mor

That's the Irish electorate right there.Overawed at celebrity.It sounds like if Hitler showed up they'd have a party
Surprise somebody did not add "He's only human after all".