Fianna Fail selects Thomas Byrne for East

drbob1972

they must be fairly confident that he won't win, after all they'd hate another by election, even if they could push it out a year or so

Thomas Byrne is an able bugger. Prior to May 07, not only was this man written off, he had'nt even been heard of prior to the election being declared!

Well able to mix it in the media as well, very brash, very cocky but will go places. He'll give Mairead McG a fair bit of stick too about taking the Louth electorate for granted last time in 07...

Thomas Byrne is an able bugger. Prior to May 07, not only was this man written off, he had'nt even been heard of prior to the election being declared!

Well able to mix it in the media as well, very brash, very cocky but will go places. He'll give Mairead McG a fair bit of stick too about taking the Louth electorate for granted last time in 07...
Hello Thomas.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane

Just cos you hadn't heard of him prior doesn't mean loads of others hadn't. The man was youtubing and what not other campaign malarkey in the year leading up to the elections in 2007.

TommyO'Brien

Tommy reluctantly agreed after a meeting with Cowen. It was between Kirk and Byrne and Kirk refused point blank.

If they didn't have someone in North Leinster then Liam's seat apparently was gone and it was going to be 2 FG 1 Labour. A lot of older ex-FFers were going to Nessa because of her father's name. JP and Mairead were cleaning up elsewhere. Liam was in trouble.

But not as much trouble as North-West. There Pascal Mooney even as a single candidate has no hope. Cowen is twisting the arm of Pat the Cope. FF have told Cope's people that if he doesn't run the seat is gone. Mooney cannot take it. The seats were looking like being 1 FG, 1 SF and the last seat a two-way tussle between Harkin and FG's O'Reilly. With Pat the Cope on the ticket the last seat becomes a three-way battle.

Their numbers apparently are shocking. Not a single European seat is safe. Crowley is the safest, but not safe.

Just cos you hadn't heard of him prior doesn't mean loads of others hadn't. The man was youtubing and what not other campaign malarkey in the year leading up to the elections in 2007.
Oh people did hear of young thomas byrne alright.

He was/is by all accounts a terrible solicitor.

NY Bar! Thats a joke, he never practised there, Its all about image with thomas.

Typical Thomas Byrne Priority 24.24.09
I welcome the work that has been carried out by Meath County Council on the footpath outside Callan’s Shop
here is another Gem:

'His cousins Minister Michael Hilliard and Deputy Colm Hilliard served the Party with distinction over the generations.'
whats that word.....

Gombeenarchy.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Tommy reluctantly agreed after a meeting with Cowen. It was between Kirk and Byrne and Kirk refused point blank.

If they didn't have someone in North Leinster then Liam's seat apparently was gone and it was going to be 2 FG 1 Labour. A lot of older ex-FFers were going to Nessa because of her father's name. JP and Mairead were cleaning up elsewhere. Liam was in trouble.

But not as much trouble as North-West. There Pascal Mooney even as a single candidate has no hope. Cowen is twisting the arm of Pat the Cope. FF have told Cope's people that if he doesn't run the seat is gone. Mooney cannot take it. The seats were looking like being 1 FG, 1 SF and the last seat a two-way tussle between Harkin and FG's O'Reilly. With Pat the Cope on the ticket the last seat becomes a three-way battle.

Their numbers apparently are shocking. Not a single European seat is safe. Crowley is the safest, but not safe.
If 'the Cope' runs what chance Mooney would be dropped and Crowe added as sweeper for Galway?

TommyO'Brien

If 'the Cope' runs what chance Mooney would be dropped and Crowe added as sweeper for Galway?
With nominations closing on Monday, it will be hard enough to get Pat the Cope on the ticket, let alone drop Pascal and nominate a replacement. Their campaign is in chaos. They know that if Pat the Cope declines, and he is very hestitant, the seat is gone. Cowen must be on 200 fags a day with worry at this stage!

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
I love the almost suicidal way that FF is deliberately splitting an already depleted vote with second candidates.

blucey

when I saw this, my first reaction was "wtf is Thomas Byrne"....
his blog seems to be more appropriate to a tow counciller (mini roundabouts, bypasses) than a national, not to mind international parliamentarian. Mind you, at least he has a blog.

meriwether2

The simple fact of the matter is that if FF are pressuring Pat the Cope to run, they are clearly in deep trouble.
The precedent for this sort of grave robbery to shore up the titanic is FG in 2002 when they forced Avril Doyle to run in Wexford.
It was symptomatic of the complete sh1tstorm they were facing nationally.

TommyO'Brien

I love the almost suicidal way that FF is deliberately splitting an already depleted vote with second candidates.
If they don't have a sweeper in North Leinster, their seat in East is toast.

If they cannot get Pat the Cope to run, their seat in North West is toast.

They are in chaos.

when I saw this, my first reaction was "wtf is Thomas Byrne"....
his blog seems to be more appropriate to a tow counciller (mini roundabouts, bypasses) than a national, not to mind international parliamentarian. Mind you, at least he has a blog.
'I welcome the work that has been carried out by Meath County Council on the footpath outside Callan’s Shop'

Gombeen Parish Pump Slackjaw

He also has the problem of having the same name as this 'Solicitor'

Thomas Byrne

nonpartyboy

That's not thomas byrne,either of them for that matter !.The aul fella is the councillor ,the son is the td.

....Oops didn't read all the post,my bad !.

badboy2

Was in College with Tossy Byrne. 5 of my peers are in the Oireachtas.

Calleary, Varadkar Creighton Byrne and Donohue were all in Trinity when I was there.

Toss was by far the most limited of them. When he was elected to the Dail most people who had known him a decade earlier were shocked.

Reality bites

A lot of older ex-FFers were going to Nessa because of her father's name. JP and Mairead were cleaning up elsewhere. Liam was in trouble.
Hi Tommy, is this from polling or canvassing returns? Very interesting if true, Childers was a bit of a long shot for Labour, any word on how Susan o Keefe is doing in North West?

That's not thomas byrne,either of them for that matter !.The aul fella is the councillor ,the son is the td.

....Oops didn't read all the post,my bad !.
Lets be clear here. The quote

'I welcome the work that has been carried out by Meath County Council on the footpath outside Callan’s Shop'
is the written word of Thomas Byrne TD

The Nation is in crisis and Thomas Byrne TD is busy taking credit for fixing a footpath outside 'Callans Shop'

Thomas Byrne TD - A Dangerous fool

The Byrne Blog

Friday, April 24, 2009
COUNCIL WORK IN DRUMCONRATH
I welcome the work that has been carried out by Meath County Council on the footpath outside Callan’s Shop in the centre of Drumconrath village.
another classic from Tosser:
As well as Drumconrath on Friday night, the Taoiseach also visited my own estate of Grange Rath. Over 300 people welcomed Bertie to where we live.

The Taoiseach whispered to me "I know so many faces, they're all from Dublin". But then when he started mingling, he knew quite a few of my neighbours' names! It is no wonder he is considered such a man of the people.

Last edited:

stonethrower

Well apart from the footpath outside Callan's shop young TB as he is not so affectionately known was appointed to the National Forum on Europe by FF last year and of course took credit for the snarrow Yes vote in Meath East last June (I kid you not).

He must be raging to have to run, all the hassle and expense, knowing it is a waste of time and he looks stupid because its clear he is being bullied into it by Dempsey and Cowan, at least Kirk had the balls to tell them to FO!

And I assume that if he did by a fluke win, that he couldn't take the seat because FF can't afford a by-election, so Alyward would be his substitute and take the seat anyway.....

nonpartyboy

My own opinion is he was in the right place at the right time like one or 2 other "new" FF people in the commuter belt at the height of the boom when all the dubs moved out and wanted the party to continue.Most of these people would not be your average local gombeen and imho will exact a terrible revenge on the FF commuter td's when the time comes.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies