• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Fianna Fail should apologise to Magdalene laundry women

williewatch

Fianna Fail should apologise for their role in magdalene laundry scandal

It would be good if Fianna Fail were to issue an apology to the woman of the Magdalene laundry.

After all, they were the party in power (usually in single party government) during most of the period when this was going on. Not that you would ever suspect this when listening to their spokespersons.

Then again such an apology would be worthless were it to be as insincere as the FF apology for what they did to our economy.

GDPR

It would be good if Fianna Fail were to issue an apology to the woman of the Magdalene laundry.

After all, they were the party in power (usually in single party government) during most of the period when this was going on. Not that you would ever suspect this when listening to their spokespersons.

Then again such an apology would be worthless were it to be as insincere as the FF apology for what they did to our economy.

Shinner calls for "worthless" apology.

harshreality

Yes they should, as should the current Taoiseach.

ruserious

Tis a shame party politics has taken over this issue. The only entity that should apologise is the State.

sic transit

Tis a shame party politics has taken over this issue. The only entity that should apologise is the State.
I'm inclined towards reading and digesting the report a bit more before politicians start shooting their mouths off in all sort of directions.

williewatch

Christ, but M. Martin isn't the bluntest tool in the box, is he?

The political chuzpah of Fianna Fáil is not dead yet.

I'm awestruck with the cleverness of the timing!

What a c*nt!
Ironic isn't it that both himself and Adams were forced into this kind of apology in recent weeks.

No apology though from Martin on the substantive issue of what happened to the women in the laundries under FF government.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
"At that time, the Fianna Fáil-led government denied State complicity in the Magdalene Laundries, claiming they were private institutions."

Martin was caught out on that one all right.

Ironic that both Martin & Adams forced into apologies in recent weeks by unfolding events.

No apology though from Martin on the substantive issue of what happened to the women in the laundries under FF government.
This is nothing more than a cynical political move to help him on the doorsteps later in the locals.

GDPR

This is nothing more than a cynical political move to help him on the doorsteps later in the locals.
He shouldn't have apologised then, is that your point?

Or are you just so uncomfortable with a return to the McCole strategy of the last FG/Labour glory that you want to rope everyone in?

Astral Peaks

tonic, have you started apologising yet?

Better get a move on, those blueshirts will get ahead of us and we'll never catch up in the Flagellation Stakes!!

Come on, get the finger out.....

williewatch

He shouldn't have apologised then, is that your point?

Or are you just so uncomfortable with a return to the McCole strategy of the last FG/Labour glory that you want to rope everyone in?
I'll be happy when Martin apologises for the substantive issue of what happened to the women in the Magdalene laundries when FF were in power.

Warrior of Destiny

OP should apologize for the OP. However due to the OP's previous OPs it will probably be worthless.

P.S

I apologize for this post however my apology is worthless because of my previous posting history it will likely be worthless.

Dal gCais

Ironic isn't it that both himself and Adams were forced into this kind of apology in recent weeks.

FF did SFA to stop or even genuinely look into what was going on in the laundries. However, by the same token, neither did any one single politician of any hue. They all should hang their heads in shame at what went on and the attempt by some to play party politics on this issue is a thundering, sickening disgrace. Williewatch, I do enjoy some of your threads which expose some of the shoddy under belly of the beast however, threads like this one undermine everything else you do.

This was a societal and cultural problem. The civil service and indeed society as a whole are culpable for what went on. Trying to use for party political point scoring is disgusting and a massive disservice to the women in question. The State should make a full apology. That is it. I'm glad though that at least Martin got this one right and apologized to the women. It was a massive screw initially however, under his watch that they were excluded day one. There's a line drawn under that now and all that is needed is for this government to finish the job of apologizing to these women on all our behalf for what happened them.

The party political rubbish is a side show that nobody wants and those trying to play will pay the price ultimately if they insist on continuing with it.

GDPR

I'll be happy when Martin apologises for the substantive issue of what happened to the women in the Magdalene laundries when FF were in power.

You'll be happy when there's a Shinner elected in Limerick and you really couldn't give much of a damn about anything else, would be the truth of it.

williewatch

OP should apologize for the OP. However due to the OP's previous OPs it will probably be worthless.

P.S

I apologize for this post however my apology is worthless because of my previous posting history it will likely be worthless.
Sooo, no apology from the FF Bots here today?

GDPR

tonic, have you started apologising yet?

Better get a move on, those blueshirts will get ahead of us and we'll never catch up in the Flagellation Stakes!!

Come on, get the finger out.....
I thought Bertie Ahern handled the last state apology & the setting up of the redress board rather well.
No beating around the bust, just very sorry the state failed you, that's all Enda had to do.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies