• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Fianna Fail TD Mary O'Rourke says General Election should be held before Christmas

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
On Sam Smyth's Sunday Supplement show earlier today Fianna Fail TD Mary O'Rourke said that there should be a General Election before Christmas.

Dreaded_Estate

Interesting development. Could explain why the bond auctions were suspended until the new year.

NoCoVoter

She made a lot of sense - if the government have to draw up a four year plan, let it be a government with a mandate from the people. And it would be a good thing to see exactly how each party is planning on bringing down the deficit.

She also said she would be murdered for saying it!!

sport02

Maybe they are planning to do a runner as soon as the budget is presented,

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Interesting development. Could explain why the bond auctions were suspended until the new year.
It is exactly why the bond auctions were suspended. FF have done the number crunching, and they know that there now isn't a hope in hell, of getting the Budget through the Dail in December. And, it wont be the Greens will pull it down, it'll be dissident FFers, who will try to claim that they stopped the cuts in the subsequent election. There will be a GE in February, and FG/Lab will have to go to the markets in March, along with raising a very austere budget. Which FF will then attack for years claiming that FG/Lab screwed the country.

The 80's all over again.

Bring back Bon Jovi and big hair

LeDroit

The 4Year Plan will be their manifesto launch, with Lenihan the nominated candidate for Taoiseach. FG in disarray, Enda unliked. Labour ill prepared on the ground to capitalise on the polls. Purrfect timing.

revolution

The 80's all over again.

Bring back Bon Jovi and big hair[/QUOTE]

no just an election please,dont know if i could handle the bon jovi days again:shock:

paddywhack

I understand she may not run for election again. Could this be wishful thinking so she can get a start on her various pensions as soon as possible?

Bill D Gallows

On Sam Smyth's Sunday Supplement show earlier today Fianna Fail TD Mary O'Rourke said that there should be a General Election before Christmas.
When you hear someone from FF essentially saying they want out of office, you know something horrendous must be coming.

My guess is they realise the IMF/ European Cental Fund bailout is inevitable and don't want to go down in history as the party that was in power when it happened.

F**king rats and sinking ships come to mind !

popeye

When you hear someone from FF essentially saying they want out of office, you know something horrendous must be coming.

My guess is they realise the IMF/ European Cental Fund bailout is inevitable and don't want to go down in history as the party that was in power when it happened.

F**king rats and sinking ships come to mind !

Couldn't have said it better. FF are the ruin of this great Country and now they want to hand it over wrecked and a mess..

sic transit

Mary "Mammy" O'Rourke always sounds like she's sitting have a cup of tea and sharing confidences, with whoever she's talking to and has been known to commit gaffes. Just because someone says doesn't make it so. This sounds like another one of these stories to provide relief to voters for voting FF and whose frustration at not being able to remove them has become a national obsession.

jacko

Mary didnt just come up with the idea in the TodayFM studios.

She knew exactly what she was saying

and have no doubt

her nephew did too !

eire_sai

She knew exactly what she was saying

and have no doubt

her nephew did too !
Indeed, this is part of some dastardly plan that FF have. They are planning to jump ship and let others pick up the mess. Many of them will leave the party and run as independents.

Expatriot

If she said it it came from elsewhere. I think we are going to have an election. I think FF have done as much as they can now. The level of austerity required now is eye watering, it requires a mandate and a large majority. It also requires a large distance in time between it and an election.

If FF and the Greens wait until next year, they will be facing an election after it has dawned on everyone what the screw up means for them, it also means facing FG with a new leader and Labour with more candidates. Going now is the best they can do, many of them I am sure want to retire from politics anyway.

farnaby

Popular Threads

Most Replies