Fianna Fail wants selectively to reopen rural garda stations to prevent rural crime. Inspired by Minister Shane Ross's stroke?

Patslatt1

Fianna Fail wants selectively to reopen rural garda stations to prevent rural crime. Inspired by Minister Shane Ross's stroke?

Presumably in closing swathes of garda stations, the garda management was attempting to optimise crime fighting capacity by substituting highly mobile garda patrol cars for immobile rural garda stations in place since the 19th century Royal Irish Constabulary on bicycles. Statistics released about a decade ago showed that the dispersion of gardai by county was often poorly related to population change, thanks to the bias in favour of staffing the old established stations.

Naturally, the locals living within a few miles of closed rural stations were concerned by the loss of the constant visible presence of the gardai in areas hit by increasing rural crime, especially crimes committed by gangs exploiting the expanded motorway networks. The response time of gardai to emergency calls has likely increased in remote rural areas, to the point that in many cases a thirty minutes response gives criminals time for a planned escape.

The solution to slow response times isn't Fianna Fail's proposal for reopening labour intensive garda stations to help selected locals as in the dubious reopening of the station in Minister Shane Ross's constituency, however; Garda labour isn't cheap at an average for the force of 68,000 euro a year plus a pension entitlement costing about 40,000 per year served , so each garda costs as much as half a dozen McJobs workers.

The solution is to increase the number of patrol cars which with hand held computers can operate as efficiently as a garda station. To reassure the public, patrol cars along with California style "cycle cops" on bicycles should make their presence felt in selected locations of closed garda stations. The relatively mild Irish climate is suited to gardai on bicycles who could cover more ground than on foot patrols and could interact with the people on their routes more easily than in patrol cars.

Last edited:

neiphin

You are stark raving mad
but I suppose it's a distraction from the dept of justice shambles

Roman Emperor

Good idea to reopen all the Garda stations.

It would help to keep them off the streets...

Dame_Enda

No-one can trust crime statistics any more after the fake statistics scandal. So when some argue Garda stations have no bearing on crime rates I disagree.

Patslatt1

No-one can trust crime statistics any more after the fake statistics scandal. So when some argue Garda stations have no bearing on crime rates I disagree.
The senior management positions were reserved until very recently for sworn gardai instead of civilians with actual IT experience and management. An IT consultant told me about 15 years ago that among his clients, the gardai were the most difficult to deal with.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
The senior management positions were reserved until very recently for sworn gardai instead of civilians with actual IT experience and management. An IT consultant told me about 15 years ago that among his clients, the gardai were the most difficult to deal with.
Well now there's a surprise.

I remember back in the eighties being in a Policía Nacional station receiving my Permiso de Residencia in Vitoria-Gasteiz. There was a young policeman typing up the card (with two fingers), an older one telling him how to do it (including pointing out where the keys were) and an other yet older one in the background, supervising.

It seemed to me then, and still seems to me now, that the Templemore training curriculum is international.

Patslatt1

Well now there's a surprise.

I remember back in the eighties being in a Policía Nacional station receiving my Permiso de Residencia in Vitoria-Gasteiz. There was a young policeman typing up the card (with two fingers), an older one telling him how to do it (including pointing out where the keys were) and an other yet older one in the background, supervising.

It seemed to me then, and still seems to me now, that the Templemore training curriculum is international.
"Spanish Practices" is the phrase that applies to your experience.

wombat

I have yet to be persuaded how having the fat village cop stumbling out of the pub after closing time helps control crime.

Patslatt1

I have yet to be persuaded how having the fat village cop stumbling out of the pub after closing time helps control crime.
The gardai didn't drink at night time in the old days but a sergeant might pop in for one or two very occasionally in daytime off duty. They knew that their presence would intimidate customers if they overstayed their welcome.

Patslatt1

The gardai didn't drink at night time in the old days but a sergeant might pop in for one or two very occasionally in daytime off duty. They knew that their presence would intimidate customers if they overstayed their welcome.
Seems to be little interest in reopening garda stations.

Patslatt1

the government has ************************ all interest in anything thats not in dublin mate....
Just elevated Coveney from Cork to Tanaiste and appointed a Cork woman TD to cabinet minister.

Patslatt1

gender quota ministers arent the same as real ministers....
I can understand it in politics where most ministerial posts are window dressing except for traditional ministries, but I can't understand how our great poet Patrick Cavanagh was bumped from secondary school curriculums for it. The latter shows an extreme political correctness and poor aesthetic sensibility among the education bureaucrats.

Dedogs

I can understand it in politics where most ministerial posts are window dressing except for traditional ministries, but I can't understand how our great poet Patrick Cavanagh was bumped from secondary school curriculums for it. The latter shows an extreme political correctness and poor aesthetic sensibility among the education bureaucrats.
poetrys a waste of time in fairness they should be teaching stuff lads can use for jobs!!!!

RasherHash

OMG 😱 anyone hear anything about this...

@Shane_RossTD A reliable source tells me that Stepaside garda station will reopen as a Direct Provision centre for 200 pax, early next year, can you confirm please?

New Threads

Most Replies