• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fianna Fails first strike, 50c tax on prescriptions from today with extra ESB costs.

So the war against the poor continues, however the dirty fianna fail scoundrels hit new lows by attacking the very poorest people of the Irish nation.

As from today the 50c tax per prescription comes into force, not only does this add extra cost to the poorest people in society but will ensure that many people who can not afford to survive will now be deciding to choose between food or health.

But adding to the misery of many will be the new Green tax on all utility bills also expected this October.

With a tough budget around the corner, the battle against the poorest people in society is continued by Fianna Fail and the Greens.

The controversial 50 cent per-item prescription charge for medical card patients is to come into effect from October 1, Health Minister Mary Harney has announced.

The measure was announced in the last Budget, after a much higher prescription charge had been suggested in the 'Bord Snip' report.
The 50 cent charge will be in respect of each prescription item dispensed to medical card holders, the Department of Health said.

The total charge per family per month is capped at €10 and, according to the Department, those who exceed the monthly fee ceiling will have to apply for a refund from the HSE.
Prescription charge from October 1

HarshBuzz

does this apply to methadone programmes?

mickterry

So the war against the poor continues, however the dirty fianna fail scoundrels hit new lows by attacking the very poorest people of the Irish nation.

As from today the 50c tax per prescription comes into force, not only does this add extra cost to the poorest people in society but will ensure that many people who can not afford to survive will now be deciding to choose between food or health.

But adding to the misery of many will be the new Green tax on all utility bills also expected this October.

With a tough budget around the corner, the battle against the poorest people in society is continued by Fianna Fail and the Greens.
What a load of jibberish. A 50c charge on each item, capped at e10 per month per family and you honestly believe that this will force people to choose food over health. Why don't you leave planet entitlement for a while and join the real world.

Prescription charge from October 1

mickterry

What a load of jibberish. A 50c charge on each item, capped at e10 per month per family and you honestly believe that this will force people to choose food over health. Why don't you leave planet entitlement for a while and join the real world.

padraig.od

Here's the IT report. The scariest thing is there are apparently 1.5 million people with medical card. 1.5 MILLION! That's a lot of GP visits.

HarshBuzz

Methadone and children are the only exemption. Everyone else has to pay - homeless etc
fecks sake, can't believe they exempted methadone

Why is it in Ireland the state pays higher costs for medicines than they pay in Northern Ireland? Cancer treatments cost the HSE 3times what they cost the Health service in N. Ireland. maybe they should try negoaite better prices before they rip off their citizens....

Baron von Biffo

Gimme a break.

The problem with State services is that demand expands to meet the supply. Even a token barrier prevents self-needy sucklers from latching on.
If the charge is a disincentive to "self-needy sucklers" it will also be a disincentive to those you might graciously concede have need for their medication.

This is a nasty, mean spirited and dangerous move by Harney and it's characteristically stupid. The first medications to be dropped will be the preventative kind so conditions will worsen to the point where people need more expensive acute care.

Petrus

You just dont get it do you fool? WE ARE BROKE...

If anything they should increase that 50c exponentially for every item.

Sick of this pathetic nanny State bs of "where are my entitlements?"
This will cost more to administer than it collects.

Some sick patients will decide not to take medicines because of this tax, especially those preventative medicines that do not have an obvious effect.
Some of those people will end up being admitted to hospital, an expensive place to be.

Petrus

Methadone and children are the only exemption. Everyone else has to pay - homeless etc
Methadone for opoid dependent patients, and only methadone, none of the other associated medications.

Only children in care are exempted.

Only means tested, medical card holding diabetics have to pay for their medications. Those with LTI books don't!

turdsl

Whats, new, Brian Lenihan gives a rise to those at the top in Anglo because they are working harder than before. HE cuts the pension on the blind, who cares if he has a go at psychiatric patients, or those that are terminally ill, I wonder will any paper take up the suggestion in todays Independent that there should be a poll to see if the 25% which still support Fianna Fail are traitors.

bob3344

Complete crap, pensioners are the most cosseted group in society & we're supposed to cry cos they have to pay a whole 50c ?

cry me a river, would have made it a fiver myself.

mickterry

Complete crap, pensioners are the most cosseted group in society & we're supposed to cry cos they have to pay a whole 50c ?

cry me a river, would have made it a fiver myself.
Not just the pensioners though. How about the many thousands who have dole, rent assistance and free everything. They moan about 50c when someone working for minimum wage has to pay full price for medication. Never a shortage of money when its time to go to the off-licence however.

Nermal

The first medications to be dropped will be the preventative kind so conditions will worsen to the point where people need more expensive acute care.
I think the first medications to be dropped will be the pointless overprescribed ones, to be honest. Unecessary antibiotic use will drop, which is good news. Fifty cent will not stop anyone getting medication they actually need.

Baron von Biffo

I think the first medications to be dropped will be the pointless overprescribed ones, to be honest. Unecessary antibiotic use will drop, which is good news. Fifty cent will not stop anyone getting medication they actually need.
If it's a disincentive to 'unnecessary' medications why wont it be a disincentive to necessary ones?

Nermal

If it's a disincentive to 'unnecessary' medications why wont it be a disincentive to necessary ones?
Badly worded on my part I suppose - it's disincentive to all medication purchasing but not so great as to stop people purchasing necessary ones. In my opinion at least.

Petrus

Depends who defines unnecessary.
If it is the patient, unnecessary will be those that do not produce an obvious palpable benefit.
Necessary will be the sleeping tablets, PPI for the stomach.
Unnecessary will be the statins for cholesterol, BP meds etc etc