Fianna Fails future political recovery

realistic1

We hear a lot of political comment of late from journalist, columnist etc. on how it will take Fianna Fail up to 10 years to recover electorally. These statements seem to be quite common with a lot of our media as a matter of fact. Surely there should be no recovery for Fianna Fail after the disaster they have left Ireland in. How realistic is it that Fianna Fail will recover in the future?

Winalot

FF is a tribal party which means its core members (about 25% of the electorate) would vote for any primate chosen to stand in an election regardless of policy. This will not change and it can be built up again in time because of the organization at parish level.

Northtipp

People are stupid and have the memories of goldfish. Four years of cuts by an incoming FG/Lab govt. will soon have people pining for the good ol' days when the Drumcondra charlatanorak was showering them with goodies like a manic bipolar Santa...
I actually think memories are shorther than that. I know its not a nice thought but I suspect by the time the election arrives they will get a fair few more votes than people think. They certainly are not dead or dying.

Prester Jim

given the way they (astoundingly) have manipulated the mental rump of the country into believing the PS are the source of all our problems, they will be back to being the permanent party of govt. within 10 years.
Too many simpletons in this country dragging the rest of us down.

FakeViking

I heard The Cough in the Dail this morning berating Gilmore and asking him where he'd borrow the cash to run the country, she seemed to take pride in the godawful mess she and her shower of thicks have caused.

eoghanacht

FF is a tribal party which means its core members (about 25% of the electorate) would vote for any primate chosen to stand in an election regardless of policy. This will not change and it can be built up again in time because of the organization at parish level.
Thats why there needs to be a purge of society, anybody found contemplating voting for them should be handed over to the secret police.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
The last Labour FG Coalition took the island to the brink of civil war again. Or at least the IRA recommenced its bombing campaign. Meanwhile they were fighting dying Hep victims over compensation. Oh as it's topical they didn't even bother with the election bit to take power.

And yet there was a thread here lately about how they were the best thing ever!

The point I am making is that people do have very short memories. However, I think it will need a full clearout of FF if they are to have a future, as the sight of faces like B Ahern, B Cowen, W O'Dea, J O'Donoghue etc. will resonate with people for some time to come.

AynRand

Of course it will recover...

Irish people by and large are right of centre, like myself. I have 2 choices. FF or FG. Previously I also had PDs. I always have voted for one or more of these parties. So next election I may move away from FF and to FG (actually it does also depend on my local candidates). In the election after I will again have 2 choices FF or FG and if FG do a poor job or bow down too much to labour I will put FF back on the ballot. Simple really and this is what HUGE number of irish people will do.

readytogo

Very likely to happen. When Fine Gael and Labour get into power, they will have to dance to an IMF tune and make highly unpopular cuts in public spending while raising taxes. They will be associated in the public consciousness with the austerity measures, even if they really inherited the mess. The Labour Party will be massacred in the subsequent election, as will the LibDems in Britain.

RahenyFG

why don't they do us all a favour and fold now

ellie08

Irish people by and large are right of centre, like myself. I have 2 choices. FF or FG. Previously I also had PDs. I always have voted for one or more of these parties. So next election I may move away from FF and to FG (actually it does also depend on my local candidates). In the election after I will again have 2 choices FF or FG and if FG do a poor job or bow down too much to labour I will put FF back on the ballot. Simple really and this is what HUGE number of irish people will do.
With logic like that, it's no wonder FF do so well.:rolleyes:

farnaby

There is probably a significant number of people who either have not been affected by the recession or whose way of life didn't change much during the boom anyway. These may be people who have benefited from FF rule directly, or those old enough to have reaped sufficient property profit during the bubble, or those in rural areas relatively unaffected by the property rise and fall. Their voting patterns are therefore less likely to change.

In addition, those young enough to have no assets and no prospects are emigrating. Again. Removes a definite threat to FF.

Then there are those so thick and brainwashed that even though they have lost income and assets and their children are emigrating, believe all the Lehmans/global economy/EU-to-blame excuses FF can excrete.

All that indicates that FF will survive and wait in the long grass for FG/Lab to screw up. I hope i'm wrong.

Alexis Colby

As President Clinton said 'its the economy stupid'

but our national economy
FF internal economy

thats the key to how their downfall may happen

if after the next election they only have 30-40 seats
they will receive lower state funding
also because what they have done to the national economy they will get less donations
they are already in debt and facing an election with little funds

a lack of cash and income could prove fatal in 12 months
it will be interesting if they can finance a Presidential electon next autumn?

FakeViking

It's clearly their target to hand over the smoking wreckage of an economy and make the next Govt do all the hard cutting that they've avoided by their dithering. They're not fighting the next election, they're planting landmines with which to fight the one fter that.

eoghanacht

The username says it all.

As for the logic. One can only sake their head in despair.

How do you know what a 'HUGE number of irish people will do?'

Did the voices in your head tell you that?

Number2

It doesn't matter who's in power. The whole Irish political system is rotten to it's core. Radical reform is what is needed.

FF will be back - maybe in a different guise (like Britain's New Labour) - with new faces (no Ahern, Cowen, Coughlan, Flynn, etc.).

There is an excellent party structure in-place which will be used to resurrect the party. 'Fianna Nua' could be in power before the decade is out.

FionnMc

FF will be back in power within 3 years of the next election.
No doubt about it.

You also have to remember that if the Irish electorate have a choice between a politician and a slightly corrupt politician they will choose the corrupt one on the basis that they might be able to get him to bend the rules on their behalf.

People wonder why we get ourselves into such a mess. The answer is simple - we vote for it.

And there you have it. The path via Ireland will be ruined again in 20 to 25 years or so. It is truly hopeless.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies