Fifthteenth Anniversary of our Second Civil War - Saipan

General Urko

Yesterday was the 15th anniversary of our second civil war starting. It was the day Roy Keane was sent home from Saipan by manager Mick McCarthy and thrown out of our 2002 world cup finals squad.

15 Years On: Saipan - The Moment That Caused Irish Football's Civil War

quote from the article -

Hence the Corkman’s now-famous tirade:

“Mick, you’re a liar … you’re a f***ing ************************er. I didn’t rate you as a player, I don’t rate you as a manager, and I don’t rate you as a person. You’re a f***ing ************************er and you can stick your World Cup up your arse. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your bollocks.”

Kevin Kilbane and Kenny Cunningham's Saipan memories |...

[video=dailymotion;xrzn16]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrzn16_red-mist-roy-keane-and-the-football-civil-war_sport[/video]

At the time, despite being a lifelong Liverpool Fan, I felt there was almost no point in participating in the world cup without him as he was by far the main reason for us being there!
Although, I felt he was showing tiredness in the friendlies at the end of the season and would probably have been far from his best at the finals in any case.

This thread of course given the controversy at the time deserves to be in Culture and Community, rather than Sport.

Being a sport's Nut, I regard this as being our 2rd Civil War, with the second one being Cambell V Ward, out in Australia in '79.

Interestingly, the point was made on Off The Ball a few weeks ago, the current Irish Squad, with the exception of the surely now retiring, O'Shea, contains no player that will ever win a Premiership Medal or even an FA Cup one and there are absolutely no signs of that changing with the upcoming generations after them!

enuffisenuff

Saipan in a nutshell

General Urko

From Wiki -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saipan_incident

The incident was so divisive that it was called a "civil war" for Ireland. The Irish Times later wrote that "[m]ost people have ... a story of a split between families, between friends, between work colleagues."[11] In 2005, a musical comedy play parodying the incident and its key players, I, Keano, opened in Dublin. The play, written by Arthur Mathews, Michael Nugent, and Paul Woodfull, represented the incident as a mock-epic melodrama about a Roman legion preparing for war. Keane attended a performance of the show,[12] which ran in Dublin until May 2008.

General Urko

Saipan in a nutshell

In fairness, given that people often get burried in the football shirts of their favourite team, sport has an important social and cultural significance!

General Urko

Saipan in a nutshell

Granted, some of the eejits at home, usually at the level of pigeon fanciers with ************************ér moustaches, fighting about it, were at this level!

General Urko

Last edited:

General Urko

Also don't forget back in 2002, social media and camera phones were not common place!
I suspect that Mick McCarthy was not happy with the Saipan Training facilities either!

General Urko

So is it all put to bed now?

Dadaist

In fairness, given that people often get burried in the football shirts of their favourite team, sport has an important social and cultural significance!
Do you know that when England won the World Cup in 66, The Times ran the story in a small section at the bottom of their front page.

I Love sport more than most, but its cultural significance has become lost in a perfect storm of corporate marketing.

“So long as they (the Proles) continued to work and breed, their other activities were without importance. Left to themselves, like cattle turned loose upon the plains of Argentina, they had reverted to a style of life that appeared to be natural to them, a sort of ancestral pattern...Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult.”
-George Orwell

users

Give me McCarthy over Keane any day

General Urko

Do you know that when England won the World Cup in 66, The Times ran the story in a small section at the bottom of their front page.

I Love sport more than most, but its cultural significance has become lost in a perfect storm of corporate marketing.

“So long as they (the Proles) continued to work and breed, their other activities were without importance. Left to themselves, like cattle turned loose upon the plains of Argentina, they had reverted to a style of life that appeared to be natural to them, a sort of ancestral pattern...Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult.”
-George Orwell

And venting our anger on politics.ie will also prevent us from open revolution!:rolleyes:

Ardillaun

I used to get quite worked up about condemning Keane but I think if I was playing for Man U these days I wouldn't even risk togging out for my country and getting Colemaned by some Welsh bogger.

between the bridges

Rumour has it the big girls blouse didn't like how his pillow was fluffed..

PBP voter

Remind me why Ireland has a soccar team?
In the 80s and 90s a load of Brits with Irish grannies could better market themselves if they were an international.

Now it doesn't matter and the plastic Paddy in football is dying.

Funnily enough for all the stick Ireland get about it other countries are worse at it.

An Anti-Irish Welsh group paid people to go around the pubs of Europe to go on about us using the rule to distract from them being the real England B. They also paid huge sums to the UK media to harp on about Ireland using it..

Looking at this lists the Welsh are way worse than us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wales_international_footballers_born_outside_Wales

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Republic_of_Ireland_international_footballers_born_outside_the_Republic_of_Ireland

PBP voter

Keane was wrong !! .. and I bet he knows that himself deep down !!
Mick McCarthy let Ian Harte take a pen v Spain instead of Robbie Keane.

Mick McCarthy and his coaching staff didn't notice Spain were down to ten men after they have used all their subs and one of their players couldn carry on in extra time.

Two huge mistakes that cost us the game V Spain.

Morgellons

Yep, he should have stuck it out and played.

And I'm from Cork!

New Threads

Most Replies