• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Final stretch of Dublin-Cork motorway to open on Friday

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
An Taoiseach Brian Cowen will open final stretch of the Dublin to Cork motorway this coming Friday at midday.

45 minutes will be cut off the average journey time between Dublin and Cork.

cricket

A welcome relief for langers trying to escape Dumpland :D

Biffomania

An Taoiseach Brian Cowen will open final stretch of the Dublin to Cork motorway this coming Friday at midday.

45 minutes will be cut off the average journey time between Dublin and Cork.
I thought he was supposed to be so focussed on fixing the economy he broke that he didn't have time for superfluous things like by-elections, let alone opening motorways?

SilverLining

Am I correct in saying there is nowhere on the road to stop for fuel, rest, food or WC facilities ? If that is so, here is again an example of non-joined up gombeen planning. Does anybody know for sure ? I am doing this journey in a few weeks not having been on that particular route for years. Usually go via Limerick with overnight stop.

thetruthsback

No Bloody Services

Oh, jesus, there's no where to stop for petrol, food and a leak. Only in Ireland

thetruthsback

Am I correct in saying there is nowhere on the road to stop for fuel, rest, food or WC facilities ? If that is so, here is again an example of non-joined up gombeen planning. Does anybody know for sure ? I am doing this journey in a few weeks not having been on that particular route for years. Usually go via Limerick with overnight stop.
Yes you are correct

SilverLining

Oh, jesus, there's no where to stop for petrol, food and a leak. Only in Ireland
Why should we have to pay tolls for this nonsense ?

On top of that, choosing a non toll route, would probably involve major map reading and research. As some of these new roads leave no older alternative road network.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Could you not turn off along the way and go into one of the towns, if you *really* need a stop during a journey less than three hours?

TradCat

The reason is that the businesses in the towns wanted to make sure you had to go out of your way to spend your money with them. And the politicians went along with it. It is just the way things always go in this pathetic set-up. Love the country, hate the state.

corelli

The Motorways are one of the actual achievements of the last 13 years. I can do Galway from O'Connell Street in 2 hours. Stop *************************ing and have a leak before you leave, ors there are myriad turn offs along the route. Seriously, no matter what, do we never stop complaining.

Biffomania

You are correct, Biffo will be obliged to bring his own beer and curried chips in the Merc.........pity the poor driver!

Tig

This is great. The new sections of road between Dublin and Cork are excellent and this will really help people who travel between the two.

SilverLining

The reason is that the businesses in the towns wanted to make sure you had to go out of your way to spend your money with them. And the politicians went along with it. It is just the way things always go in this pathetic set-up. Love the country, hate the state.
Cancelling out the whole idea of motorways by wasting journey time on such unnecessary diversions. We are some shower of idiots. Can't be trusted to do anything properly. Meanwhile we are still asked to cough up money for this joke.

Tig

Does David Cameron open roads in the UK? Does Barak Obama open roads in USA?
It's the completion of a major infrastructural project. Why wouldn't the Taoiseach open it? Other Heads of State/Government open major projects.

bm42

Just stop at the Horse and Jockey, you have a petrol station, shop, hotel, bar, restaurant, etc... all within 500m of a motorway exit and not far half way along the route. Just because it's not new and purpose built as a Motorway Service Station, doesn't mean it's not fit for purpose.

OceanFrog

Just read on another forum that Biffo's handlers wont say where exactly the ribbon will be cut. Just in case there might be a disgruntled citizen or two wishing to have a word ...

jacko

Could you not turn off along the way and go into one of the towns, if you *really* need a stop during a journey less than three hours?
exactly, Johnstown is only 1km off the road is halfway between Dublin and Cork. Cheap petrol and a great chipper !

Popular Threads

Most Replies