Find my constituency using an address Website

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
My next web project is a small website that will only need to be updated every couple of years when the constituencies change over.

It's rather important though, there is no website that allows you to enter your address in and get back where you are supposed to vote, who your local councillors, TDs, etc. are.

The only thing I need in order to get this done is the constituency map data, not the maps themselves but rather the arrays of coordinates that make up the borders.

Once I have that then I can find out which side of the border you are on with much greater accuracy then if I'm mapping it out myself at 4am running entirely on caffeine.

Once the website is created I will allow any other website to connect via web service into the system and provide the exact same service, however I will ask that you include a powered by whatever I decide to call it so that people know where to send complaints if it doesn't work.

If they use our website to find their address they will get links to several different websites that provide information on their constituencies including who their local elected officials are and any other information I can think of.

Oddly enough my dad came up with this idea.

Feel free to steal this idea and implement yourself, do a good job and I won't attempt my own, I'll just link to you.

Didimus

It might also be useful to link to Check the Register which will let you know if you are registered and if so what your polling station will be , and what elections you are eligible to vote in.

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
That is truly awesome, only a couple of questions...

What this done by hand? Is there any way to ensure accuracy?
When the next change in borders comes along how do I get new map data?

Also apparently I live in Dublin South-East (just moved)

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
It might also be useful to link to Check the Register which will let you know if you are registered and if so what your polling station will be , and what elections you are eligible to vote in.
Fantastic idea, will do, thanks!

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
So apparently the department of the environment handles the local election constituencies and the constituency commission handles the dail constituencies.
The Department of the Environment contracts it out to whoeever, where as the constituency commission gets the ordinance survey to handle it.

Edit: Also I accidentally called my local TDs constituency office, I saw constituency on the department of environment website and thought it was referring to the office that handled the constituency borders. Anyway turns out it is the ministers office and John Gormley is the TD for south east dublin. Like everyone else, they took my number and said they'd call me back after they found out more.
If that call somehow manages to solve my problem that would be utter win.

And you might also find this useful Costitutency Map of Ireland - Tithe an Oireachtais

Gives rough map and constituency information
Constituency Maps of Ireland - Tithe an Oireachtais
gives accurate map
Unfortunately only the coordinates will do :)

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
apparently the map data is available from the ordinance survey but will cost in excess of 500 euro.

:( That's a lot of money
and I'm not sure if that includes the local constituencies or just the Dail ones.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
apparently the map data is available from the ordinance survey but will cost in excess of 500 euro.

:( That's a lot of money
and I'm not sure if that includes the local constituencies or just the Dail ones.
The Labour Party have interactive constituency maps on their site. So they must have that data.

Volunteer to do some IT work for them. Bring your USB stick. Get what you need and do a runner.

Didimus

If you could somehow include the checktheregister.ie form in your site, and if you could obtain a list of polling centres for each constituency you could correlate the data.

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
The Labour Party have interactive constituency maps on their site. So they must have that data.

Volunteer to do some IT work for them. Bring your USB stick. Get what you need and do a runner.
Rofl genius, yeah but that's an image map, hardly very accurate, and I could steal it using an internet browser, which is probably something similar to what they did.

I may end up using the google earth one until I can raise 500 euro or convince the OSI somehow that they should donate it.

Anyone know any pro democracy charities in Ireland?
Maybe I could give them my ideas if they agree to fund them.

Observer

That is truly awesome, only a couple of questions...

What this done by hand?
I think Ben Raue (the guy in Australia who did these maps along with other constituency maps for Australia, the US, the UK, etc.) did them by hand but I don't know.

Is there any way to ensure accuracy?
They certainly look accurate. There are shapefiles for the electoral divisions available at CSO - Electoral Division Boundaries.

When the next change in borders comes along how do I get new map data?
The report will list what electoral divisions (if any) are being moved. You could try using the two sets of data to update the maps.

Also apparently I live in Dublin South-East (just moved)
Commiserations. I'm sure Luscious Lucinda will be along shortly to greet you :D

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
They certainly look accurate. There are shapefiles for the electoral divisions available at CSO - Electoral Division Boundaries.
Oh you fricken genius!
I phoned the cso and they hadn't a clue what I was talking about, when they finally understood they told me that the OSI was the one to talk to. I specifically mentioned the electoral divisions!

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
How will you manage this site without post codes?
Have you any background in GIS?

You should include a facility to print A3 maps of electoral areas. Candidates and campaign teams would buy those.

There was someone on here last year or the year before, giving us maps of constituencies, with party support by electoral area. That's something you could add in - box tallies displayed as a map.

In fact there's no end to what you could do.

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
How will you manage this site without post codes?
People will enter in their address, I will use google maps to geocode and then Point in Polygon to map to constituency.

So far I've gotten the geocoding stuff done, that was easy...
Next onto polygon to constituency...
*Yoinks code from elsewhere* should be done tonight...

I'll throw it up on politicswiki.ie when I'm done.

Have you any background in GIS?
Nope, which is why I will steal code from other people.

You should include a facility to print A3 maps of electoral areas. Candidates and campaign teams would buy those.

There was someone on here last year or the year before, giving us maps of constituencies, with party support by electoral area. That's something you could add in - box tallies displayed as a map.

In fact there's no end to what you could do.
Yes but I'm keeping it relatively simple for now. :)

selkies

Website
www.politicswiki.ie
First prototype is up

http://www.lacy.ie/find

If you find a bug then please give me the address that you used to find the bug
If you don't want to post it up here then email it to
admin@politicswiki.ie

What should happen is:

You enter in your full address.

A google map is displayed, you are asked if that is where you live

If you click the yes button then you are redirected to the politicswiki.ie page for that constituency.

That page will not have been created yet, as I am tired and going to bed.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies