• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Fine Gael Accounted For Half Of All Political Donations And Almost Half Of Those Were From The UK

CptSternn

These two men accounted for nearly 50% of personal political donations in 2015

THE STANDARDS IN Public Office Commission has released its figures regarding political donations to TDs, Senators and MEPs for 2015.

All told €33,870 was received by TDs and Senators during that time period.

These donations are distinct from contributions made directly to Ireland’s political parties.

Of the total figure mentioned above, €15,000 (45%) was received by two Fine Gael members, Wexford’s Michael D’Arcy (then a Senator, now a TD, who received €10,000) and Paschal Donohoe (now Minister for Public Expenditure, who received €5,000).

80% of Donohoe’s contributions came from the UK.

Fine Gael dominated the figures, receiving €22,670 in donations, or 67%.
Anyone else worried about foreign governments and corporations getting undo influence into our political arena?

Apparently Fine Gael are not.

Catalpast

That would be just the tip of the iceberg U would say

Frankly I find that unbelievable

It just means that many Irish politicians have become adept at covering their financial sources

Half Nelson

*cough* ... cash..

Finbar10

The money the parties receive from explicit donations is small potatoes compared to state funding or money raised from things like raffles. For example, Fine Gael was taking in around €1 million a year from their raffles (at circa €60 a ticket). Can't say I'm entirely sure if and how the names of those buying raffle tickets are declared to SIPO. For example, if I happen to buy €10k of Fine Gael raffle tickets, does my name get declared to SIPO? Or would this be another loophole? Or church gate collections? I guess the cash taken in there is fairly "anonymous".

eoghanacht

The money the parties receive from explicit donations is small potatoes compared to state funding or money raised from things like raffles. For example, Fine Gael was taking in around €1 million a year from their raffles (at circa €60 a ticket). Can't say I'm entirely sure if and how the names of those buying raffle tickets are declared to SIPO. For example, if I happen to buy €10k of Fine Gael raffle tickets, does my name get declared to SIPO? Or would this be another loophole? Or church gate collections? I guess the cash taken in there is fairly "anonymous".
Buying a raffle ticket is hardly the same as a politician receiving donations from parties in a foreign state.

Franzoni

With the referendum on Brexit looming the usual suspects are out in droves backing Boris on other threads..

FG had Tory advisers in the last election and members within their party have stated in the past they had no real issue with rejoining the British commonwealth...

The thing is some of the these people supporting Boris bang on other threads supporting striking workers and other social and economic issues......how on earth they think these things correlate in the positive for the betterment of wider society with FG/Tory policy is mental....

blokesbloke

I haven't really heard of personal political donations, except to independent candidates.

I always thought if someone represented a party then you'd make the donation to their party - if you wanted it to stay local then to that party's local branch.

enby

FF politicians received a total of €3k in 2015??? Yeah right. How can anyone believe any of these ridiculous figures?

badboy2

With the referendum on Brexit looming the usual suspects are out in droves backing Boris on other threads..

FG had Tory advisers in the last election and members within their party have stated in the past they had no real issue with rejoining the British commonwealth...

The thing is some of the these people supporting Boris bang on other threads supporting striking workers and other social and economic issues......how on earth they think these things correlate in the positive for the betterment of wider society with FG/Tory policy is mental....
I think you should check your carbon monoxide filter. Its hard to explain the logic behind your post, but a lack of oxygen might be a good place to start?

Franzoni

I think you should check your carbon monoxide filter. Its hard to explain the logic behind your post, but a lack of oxygen might be a good place to start?
Laffin...

I'll have a look at the filter if you remove your tongue from the pane on the window.....it's beginning to make the neighbours feel uncomfortable....

blokesbloke

I would like to deny here and now giving any money to Joan Burton or Sean Gallagher.

hammer

Jaysus Mehole had to get a donation from the party. Things must be tight 😄

Was his wife's account not available?

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

Dame_Enda

Time to ban foreign donations so foreign govts and power players can't meddle in our affairs.

hammer

Sure aren`t they all getting funded by the exchequer at this stage ?

1. Remove leaders allowance for individuals
2. Tax donations as income

Sorted.

Eire1976

The FG/FF party receive massive amounts of support from the UK through media exposure.

That is a foreign regime using its influence to persuade Irish votes in a particular way.

Bea C

As for the parties themselves, wouldn't it be Sinn Fein makes the most money out of the State, though?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't believe Fine Gael or People Before Profit stage $1,000 a plate dinners on the other side of the Atlantic.

But are there not significant restrictions on how you can spend money secured from outside the Republic?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies