Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil's attitude towards Sinn Féin is met with disbelief in the US.

james toney

A key voice of Irish - America....Niall O'Dowd gives excellent analysis of the establishment and very biased media reaction to the growth of Sinn Féin in the south.
It's very timely as Irish political leaders head to America for St. Patrick’s celebrations.....as he calls out their hypocrisy and dismissal of the Sinn Fein vote.

“It is time for inclusion not exclusion.”

He quotes Bruce Morrison... who was a major figure in leasing with Bill Clinton and the US Government in the run up to the Good Friday Agreement.

“The continuing attempts to quarantine Sinn Féin is a direct attack on their democratic mandate and the wishes of their voters,” he said.
“When we urged them forward to ceasefire and disarmament . . . we said peaceful politics was the way forward.

“Now that they have done that, the previously dominant parties are trying to change the subject to the past – It makes no sense.”

Uganda

A key voice of Irish - America....Niall O'Dowd gives excellent analysis of the establishment reaction to the growth of Sinn Féin in the south.
It's very timely as Irish political leaders head to America for St. Patrick’s celebrations.....as he calls out their hypocrisy and dismissal of the Sinn Fein vote.

He quotes Bruce Morrison... who was a major figure in leasing with Bill Clinton and the US Government in the run up to the Good Friday Agreement.

“The continuing attempts to quarantine Sinn Féin is a direct attack on their democratic mandate and the wishes of their voters,” he said.
“When we urged them forward to ceasefire and disarmament . . . we said peaceful politics was the way forward.

“Now that they have done that, the previously dominant parties are trying to change the subject to the past – It makes no sense.”

well if Irish America has a view we must lie down and roll over.

thats democracy

james toney

When FG/FF lie and talk out of both sides of it's mouth it makes no sense.... as he points out their obvious hypocrisy on numerous occasions.
That's facts and democracy.
At least when Coveney and caretaker Varadkar are at the various black tie events over in the US on St.Patricks day....they can explain their hypocrisy....why they are going backwards....and why they are flogging that dead horse.
Simple really.

Paddyc

When FG/FF lie and talk out of both sides of it's mouth it makes no sense.... as he points out their obvious hypocrisy on numerous occasions.
At least when Coveney and caretaker Varadkar are at the various black tie events over in the US on St.Patricks day....they can explain their hypocrisy....why they are going backwards....and why they are flogging that dead horse.
Simple really.
Coveney is saying very little.

This is all Leo.

Actually, while I think of it, has anyone seen or heard from Charlie Flanagan since the election?

james toney

Coveney is saying very little.

This is all Leo.

Actually, while I think of it, has anyone seen or heard from Charlie Flanagan since the election?
He will be in Berlin.....I wonder will he ask Merkel why they are not celebrating the Nazis 🤔

Dame_Enda

I think a lot of us, while disagreeing with SFs policies, find it hard to accept Leo and Micheals argument that SF is not a 'normal party' while both parties insisted they go back into government in the North of Ireland.

Paddyc

He will be in Berlin.....I wonder will he ask Merkel why they are not celebrating the Nazis 🤔
Again, Coveney, being from Cork, said next to nothing about the 'Black & Tan' celebration*

* I know it was an RIC commemoration but that's what everyone will remember it as....

james toney

I think a lot of us, while disagreeing with SFs policies, find it hard to accept Leo and Micheals argument that SF is not a 'normal party' while both parties insisted they go back into government in the North of Ireland.
And Sinn Fein were at a cross party meeting in Westminster today in regards to integrated education.
That is also a very important part of the GFA.
Fine Gael and Fianna Fail are not acting normally....and it defies all logic.

Uganda

Simple really.
Mac Donald “won” the election.

why hasn’t she formed a government?

james toney

thats democracy
Why get knocked down and rolled over by the FG/FF tissue of lies and hypocrisy?
They have more than a view....and less faux outrage and hysteria than the corrupt cosy cartel of FG/FF.
Word is...not only are Irish-America looking forward to seeking clarification from them....so is congress and US Government.

Easy peasy for Varadkar...no?

Fullforward

Again, Coveney, being from Cork, said next to nothing about the 'Black & Tan' celebration*

* I know it was an RIC commemoration but that's what everyone will remember it as....
And the "B" Specials had no connection with the UDR.............and the UDR had nothing to do with the Royal Irish Regiment and none of them had anything to do with the UVF.

Fullforward

Mac Donald “won” the election.

why hasn’t she formed a government?
You're not great at the oul maths, are you?

I feel your pain.

Marcos the black

I think this:

represents SF's position in general, and why both FG and FF have a difficulty in going into govt with them.
It represents where SF is as they soften their stance as they get closer to power, and in power would probably be very similar to FF in power.

But it also is one of the reasons why SF are part of the political outcasts... They still haven't committed to retaining it, and therefore still pose a threat to the established justice system of the country.

james toney

This is all Leo.
Martin has also been lying and very hypocritical as usual.
Irish Americans have first hand knowledge.. insight, and involvement in the Northern Ireland peace process and the GFA.....and know full well how difficult that was....and the pressure it is under.

Both FG/FF have made a big mistake thinking otherwise...and undermining that for domestic self serving political gain shows how desperate they really are after their election humiliation.
Both will be in America soon....and they can explain their lies and hysteria about Sinn Fein face to face.
One thing is for certain...they won't be spinning the same crap over in the US.....they will know better.

Uganda

You're not great at the oul maths, are you?

I feel your pain.
I keep getting told she won.

if so why hasn’t she formed a government.

in fact why has nobody else - apart from a handful of headbangers voted for her as Taoiseach?

obviously they want different change.

Patslatt1

thats democracy
Sinn Fein's rise in the percentage of the vote was based on a protest vote against FF and FG as well as fairytale populist spending that would heavily tax already overtaxed upper income groups. The latter option was presented more or less as "the rich will pay for everything". SF is so far out on a hard leftist populist wing negotiating a centrist government with them is impossible.
If FF or FG form a government that follows an aggressive policy on housing building that ignores NIMBY objectors, it could win back the confidence of voters. There is no need to placate Sinn Fein, a party that has an unelected leader in Mary Lou. She disgraced herself by defending SF's delegates' visit to Venezuela to celebrate a stolen election that the EU countries don't recognise. I suspect this was a concession to former Provos who owe a few favours to Cuba. The connection is that Cuba has been masterminding the strategies and tactics of the Venezuelan government security forces' suppresion of the political opposition.

AhNowStop

A key voice of Irish - America....Niall O'Dowd gives excellent analysis of the establishment and very biased media reaction to the growth of Sinn Féin in the south.

Excellent article

Popular Threads

Most Replies