• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Fine Gael and the IRA Connection

Seabird

http://dailyireland.televisual.co.uk/home.tvt
No doubt some smartass revisionist from Fine Gael or a newspaper of record will attempt to explain that there is no parallel between then and now, no comparisons whatsoever. Perhaps they will tell us that the IRA of the 1940s is distinct from the IRA of today and that’s why, for example, Belfast man Harry White, sentenced for the manslaughter of Mordaunt, was given early release by Fine Gael, while Strabane man Pearse McAuley, sentenced for the manslaughter of Gárda McCabe, must remain in jail.

Fine Gael TD General Sean MacEoin, who was also the party’s presidential nominee in 1945 and 1959, came to the Ministry of Justice with a past which Fine Gael honours. In the Tan War the IRA killed almost 500 members of the RIC. When MacEoin was the leader of an IRA Flying Column in Longford in 1920 he had been responsible for killing up to two dozen of his fellow Roman Catholic Irishmen in the RIC. A small sample includes: 23-year-old John Kelleher from Cork who had only been in the RIC four months; 45-year-old Constable Peter Cooney, a married man, shot in the back whilst returning from leave; and 30-year-old District Inspector Thomas McGrath, a single man from County Limerick, shot through the head by MacEoin when he knocked on MacEoin’s door.

Men like MacEoin shot and bombed British soldiers and RIC men, killed them where they could – on holiday, on leave, in bed with their wives, at their dinner tables, on patrol and in the barracks.

Fine Gael is proud of IRA men like MacEoin. After all, he brought them to power. He fought the British in his country – though mistakes were often made and innocent people were killed.

It has happened throughout Irish republican history.

And that is why Fine Gael and any other party opposed to the release of the Castlerea prisoners rightly stand accused of double standards and hypocrisy.

For political gain Fine Gael released those convicted of killing guards in the 1940s. And for perceived political gain today – taking a tough stance against Sinn Fein - it refuses to support the release of prisoners in the same category, prisoners committed to peace and the Belfast Agreement.

Excellent article written by Danny Morrison and featured today in the Daily Ireland!!! Bravo Danny!!!

Please go to the Daily Ireland and read the entire article before commenting. This is only a portion! :wink:

geraghd

Seabird said:
No doubt some smartass revisionist from Fine Gael or a newspaper of record will attempt to explain that there is no parallel between then and now, no comparisons whatsoever. Perhaps they will tell us that the IRA of the 1940s is distinct from the IRA of today and that’s why, for example, Belfast man Harry White, sentenced for the manslaughter of Mordaunt, was given early release by Fine Gael, while Strabane man Pearse McAuley, sentenced for the manslaughter of Gárda McCabe, must remain in jail.

Fine Gael TD General Sean MacEoin, who was also the party’s presidential nominee in 1945 and 1959, came to the Ministry of Justice with a past which Fine Gael honours. In the Tan War the IRA killed almost 500 members of the RIC. When MacEoin was the leader of an IRA Flying Column in Longford in 1920 he had been responsible for killing up to two dozen of his fellow Roman Catholic Irishmen in the RIC. A small sample includes: 23-year-old John Kelleher from Cork who had only been in the RIC four months; 45-year-old Constable Peter Cooney, a married man, shot in the back whilst returning from leave; and 30-year-old District Inspector Thomas McGrath, a single man from County Limerick, shot through the head by MacEoin when he knocked on MacEoin’s door.

Men like MacEoin shot and bombed British soldiers and RIC men, killed them where they could – on holiday, on leave, in bed with their wives, at their dinner tables, on patrol and in the barracks.

Fine Gael is proud of IRA men like MacEoin. After all, he brought them to power. He fought the British in his country – though mistakes were often made and innocent people were killed.

And that is why Fine Gael and any other party opposed to the release of the Castlerea prisoners rightly stand accused of double standards and hypocrisy.

For political gain Fine Gael released those convicted of killing guards in the 1940s. And for perceived political gain today – taking a tough stance against Sinn Fein - it refuses to support the release of prisoners in the same category, prisoners committed to peace and the Belfast Agreement.

Excellent article written by Danny Morrison and featured today in the Daily Ireland!!! Bravo Danny!!!

Please go to the Daily Ireland and read the entire article before commenting. This is only a portion! :wink:
God that double standarded hypocritical bastard! I sincerely hope he loses his seat at the next election! :x

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
geraghd said:
God that double standarded hypocritical b******! I sincerely hope he loses his seat at the next election! :x
Come on Derrick, its a fair question. Can you or any FGer tell us the difference between Harry White and Pearse Mc Cauley without resorting to glibs responses?

geraghd

rockofcashel said:
geraghd said:
God that double standarded hypocritical b******! I sincerely hope he loses his seat at the next election! :x
Come on Derrick, its a fair question. Can you or any FGer tell us the difference between Harry White and Pearse Mc Cauley without resorting to glibs responses?
There was no question. And its a poor comparison. The Fine Gael of 1940 is far different from the one today. For one, most of the people (all?) are dead.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
geraghd said:
rockofcashel said:
geraghd said:
There was no question. And its a poor comparison. The Fine Gael of 1940 is far different from the one today. For one, most of the people (all?) are dead.
Ok then Derrick, if its time that should heal all wounds,

do you have a difficulty with serving in a coalition government with former members of the Official IRA ?

geraghd

rockofcashel said:
geraghd said:
rockofcashel said:
geraghd said:

do you have a difficulty with serving in a coalition government with former members of the Official IRA ?
If that person was connected to terrorism and openly agreed with it even if it was some time ago, then yes I would. Do you have anyone that would fit this description in mind?

Rocky

Deleted

holdini

rockofcashel said:
geraghd said:
Many of the actions of the PIRA were totally unproductive,irrational and served little purpose; ie Warrington. post Sunningdale the PIRA move to the 'offensive' was counterproductive in regards of unifying this island as it further distanced the 2 communities rather than bringing them together and reviving the Republican tradition in the Protestant community which is the most important aim in order to secure a united Ireland without loyalist violence and a Civil War.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
geraghd said:
rockofcashel said:
geraghd said:
rockofcashel said:
geraghd said:

If that person was connected to terrorism and openly agreed with it even if it was some time ago, then yes I would. Do you have anyone that would fit this description in mind?
I presume rock is getting at the stickies in the Rainbow like Pronsias de Rossa who was I think interned at some stage for IRA membership.

geraghd

aodh_rua said:
geraghd said:
rockofcashel said:
geraghd said:
rockofcashel said:
[quote="geraghd":3d24qlst]

I presume rock is getting at the stickies in the Rainbow like Pronsias de Rossa who was I think interned at some stage for IRA membership.[/quote:3d24qlst]

That and Pat Rabbitte I believe..

meriwether

Seabird said:

Im feeling a little run down today with a headcold, so Im lacking the required levels of irony needed to deal with a lecture from Danny Morisson on.... well actually on anything really.
Next week- CJ Haughey attacks FG for endangering the wellbeing of the economy by pursuing policies that cannot be costed or funded.

I hope that if FG ever need advice or consultation on any matter, we can do better than listen to pond-scum former terrorists turned big-mouth commentators like Danny Morisson.

Worldbystorm

geraghd said:
rockofcashel said:
geraghd said:
Not trying in any sense to be smart, but I find that an odd position to take. I presume you're not a pacifist and that you believe the path to independence was justified. Even McDowell, no friend of SF he, appears to have more understanding/sympathy with his own relatives involved in that path.

As to whether FG of 1948 ( I think that we're talking about the first Inter-Party Government ) is truly different I'm dubious in the sense that there was a continued organisational existence, unlike Risteard's True Republic, during the intervening period. One can't really have it both ways about this issue. If one is proud of the (very real achievements) of CnaG/FG in creating and maintaining a democracy within the 26 counties one should also accept the actions that brought them there. That in no sense justifies all violence.

As for shaneholdens point. Well yes, clearly many actions of PIRA were totally unproductive, irrational and served little purpose. But isn't it also arguable that the actions of the original IRA in going up against the British state in Ireland at a time when the British Empire had real substance and meaning was also irrational.

A further point, it is more than likely that the presence of Clann na Poblachta in that Inter-Party government was behind the release of the prisoners.

pap

meriwether said:
Seabird said:

Im feeling a little run down today with a headcold, so Im lacking the required levels of irony needed to deal with a lecture from Danny Morisson on.... well actually on anything really.
Next week- CJ Haughey attacks FG for endangering the wellbeing of the economy by pursuing policies that cannot be costed or funded.

I hope that if FG ever need advice or consultation on any matter, we can do better than listen to pond-scum former terrorists turned big-mouth commentators like Danny Morisson.

The truth hurts, double standards. :roll:

geraghd

Worldbystorm said:
geraghd said:
rockofcashel said:
geraghd said:
Not trying in any sense to be smart, but I find that an odd position to take. I presume you're not a pacifist and that you believe the path to independence was justified. Even McDowell, no friend of SF he, appears to have more understanding/sympathy with his own relatives involved in that path.

Im not a pacifist and dont believe the path to independence was justified.

As to whether FG of 1948 ( I think that we're talking about the first Inter-Party Government ) is truly different I'm dubious in the sense that there was a continued organisational existence, unlike Risteard's True Republic, during the intervening period. One can't really have it both ways about this issue. If one is proud of the (very real achievements) of CnaG/FG in creating and maintaining a democracy within the 26 counties one should also accept the actions that brought them there. That in no sense justifies all violence.

I cant really comment on a time that I havent witnessed but the govt immediately after independence did some terrible things that cant be justified, at least not in this day. For example the death penalty for those on the opposite side of the civil war. The death penalty can never be justified in my mind.

As for shaneholdens point. Well yes, clearly many actions of PIRA were totally unproductive, irrational and served little purpose. But isn't it also arguable that the actions of the original IRA in going up against the British state in Ireland at a time when the British Empire had real substance and meaning was also irrational.

A further point, it is more than likely that the presence of Clann na Poblachta in that Inter-Party government was behind the release of the prisoners.

ChrIreland

geraghd said:
rockofcashel said:
geraghd said:
rockofcashel said:
geraghd said:

Guess........try again..................how about Pat and Liz for a start. :lol:

ChrIreland

geraghd says

But isn't it also arguable that the actions of the original IRA in going up against the British state in Ireland at a time when the British Empire had real substance and meaning was also irrational.

This really shows you up in your true colours.......................next you will be saying they were terrorists.

geraghd

ChrIreland said:
geraghd says

But isn't it also arguable that the actions of the original IRA in going up against the British state in Ireland at a time when the British Empire had real substance and meaning was also irrational.

This really shows you up in your true colours.......................next you will be saying they were terrorists.
I never said that. And what are you on in your second last post above? I just mentioned pat. :roll:

Pidge

Sinn Féin and the British Monarchy Connection

In 1905 Arthur Griffith set up Sinn Féin, proposing what was called the "Hungarian Solution". In essence it was a sort of dual monarchy.

SF today don't support monarchial structures!!!

Jesus, you'd nearly think a party changes over a few generations!

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
geraghd said:
ChrIreland said:
geraghd says

I never said that. And what are you on in your second last post above? I just mentioned pat. :roll:
so lets assume I am talking about Pat Derrick,

or you could have chosen from Frank, Liz or Kathleen while we're on the subject. All members or or cheerleaders of the Stickies...

Would you mind rationalising why you fel they are acceptable coalition partners of FG, but SF are not ?

Risteard

aodh_rua said:
I presume rock is getting at the stickies in the Rainbow like Pronsias de Rossa who was I think interned at some stage for IRA membership.
I presume you mean suspected IRA membership. The very nature of internment means it wasn't proven.