• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Fine Gael- Becoming a movement

DJP

Fine Gael are going to have to become a movement if they want to get in Government again and indeed remain a/the major party.

Fianna Fáil are a movement and I think that Fine Gael members should study them.

From my experience of being in Fine Gael the "do-ers" really are nice people and are republicans. However the party has a lot of hangers-on who are misfits.

Chiefly

- I think that Fine Gael are going to have to become a movement like Fianna Fáil in that all members really subscribe to the ideals of working with Nationalist people, in particular, in the North to bring about a united Ireland. And subscribe to the aspiration that the country will become truly bilingual in terms of the Irish and English languages.

- I think Fine Gael need to get rid of the idea that Fianna Fáil are inherently corrupt.

- Fine Gael need to get rid of the misfits.

- Change your meetings location (they shouldn't be in pubs anyway)- the hangers on are so conservative that most of them would not bother with the new routine.

- We live in the 21s century and the social media has value. Get some good posters on Politics.ie; start websites and write reasonably humanely on them.

- One person can make all the difference and if you hear what I am saying then you will really think about what I am saying.

Regards,

Darren

Honecker

Really poor OP. So essentially you want Fine Gael to stop have meetings in pubs and tell their members to use politics.ie? Maybe wrap the green flag around themselves a bit more too?

wombat

The reason people joined FG rather than FF included knowing the difference between their head and their bowels.:roll:

cabledude

Fine Gael are going to have to become a movement if they want to get in Government again and indeed remain a/the major party.

Fianna Fáil are a movement and I think that Fine Gael members should study them.

From my experience of being in Fine Gael the "do-ers" really are nice people and are republicans. However the party has a lot of hangers-on who are misfits.

Chiefly

- I think that Fine Gael are going to have to become a movement like Fianna Fáil in that all members really subscribe to the ideals of working with Nationalist people, in particular, in the North to bring about a united Ireland. And subscribe to the aspiration that the country will become truly bilingual in terms of the Irish and English languages.

- I think Fine Gael need to get rid of the idea that Fianna Fáil are inherently corrupt.

- Change your meetings location (they shouldn't be in pubs anyway)- the hangers on are so conservative that most of them would not bother with the new routine.

- We live in the 21s century and the social media has value. Get some posters on Politics.ie; start websites and write reasonably humanely on them.

- One person can make all the difference and if you hear what I am saying then you will really think about what I am saying.

Regards,

Darren
That one is already sorted........

changeit

Chiefly

- We live in the 21s century and the social media has value. Get some good posters on Politics.ie; start websites and write reasonably humanely on them.

Regards,

Darren
Fine gael (and every other party) are already a movement, a true-democracy deterring bowel movement where sheepish morans blindly put party loyalty before country and the people who elected them to represent them, not their party.

DJP

Maybe wrap the green flag around themselves a bit more too?
No- that all members would subscribe to a united Ireland and show that through their demonstration of that.

So essentially you want Fine Gael to stop have meetings in pubs and tell their members to use politics.ie?
Their public representatives should have websites and if they believe in the power of one person (I don't use it as a cliche) they should write reasonably humanely/humanely on them.

In relation to this site, yes they should have at least one poster who is good. Ideally more of course.

Ryan Tubbs

From this staggeringly silly OP, I had to draw attention to this piece.

Fine Gael must have hundreds and hundreds of cummann across the country. What makes you think they all meet in pubs?

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Darren, FG dont believe in Nationalism. They believe in a multicultural pro-immigration Ireland with Irish speakers being a smaller and smaller % of the population. You are not going to get anywhere with them. They dont have any sort of serious ideology really much like the rest of the Irish parties.

The last movement that was serious about promoting Irish politically was Ailtirí na hAiséirghe. You might seek out if any of their members are still alive.

DJP

Darren, FG dont believe in Nationalism. They believe in a multicultural pro-immigration Ireland with Irish speakers being a smaller and smaller % of the population. You are not going to get anywhere with them. They dont have any sort of serious ideology really much like the rest of the Irish parties.

The last movement that was serious about promoting Irish politically was Ailtirí na hAiséirghe. You might seek out if any of their members are still alive.
Well if they don't start the process of becoming a movement I would be concerned about them if I were in the party or supported the party when (assuming they do) Fianna Fáil build up a consistent lead over them in the opinion polls. Assuming they do.

Personally I like Enda Kenny and Eamon Gilmore and I think that most of the current Ministers from both parties- bar two Ministers and three Junior Ministers- are better than most- not all- of their counterparts in Fianna Fáil. And for that reason I hope that this Government finishes it's term (I'll think about who I am going to vote for more at the next General Election at the next General Election). However although having been in Fine Gael I have no loyalty to the party as a party. Only to some individual members.

Last edited:

Ryan Tubbs

Maybe 100 if that
What?

According to the Indo they have 35,000 members. Are you saying that there are an average of 350 members per cummann? And that they only have 2/3 in every Dáil constituency?!

It would seem that you don't have a clue of what you're talking about.

DJP

What?

According to the Indo they have 35,000 members. Are you saying that there are an average of 350 members per cummann? And that they only have 2/3 in every Dáil constituency?!

It would seem that you don't have a clue of what you're talking about.
Really? Well all I know is that they only have three cumainn in Dublin West and if you replicate that.

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
I don't think parties should try and become national movements.

If a party thinks of itself as a national movement then it starts to equate party and country and that leads to the "party first, country second" attitude.

As regards a united Ireland, the best thing FG can do is to try and run the Republic properly, like a normal state.

I am also coming to the conclusion that actively working for a united Ireland will actually push it further away. Friendly co-operation in economics, sport and culture is what is needed at the moment. There is not going to be a referendum in the North until Nationalists win more votes than Unionists at an election and that is unlikely for about 20 years or so. Even then it is unlikely that nationalists will vote for unity. The 6 counties gets a massive subsidy from Britain (the equivalent of the South getting a present of 27 billion euro every year). There is no need to rush. The best argument for a united Ireland is a well-run Republic in the South.

RahenyFG

I think that Fine Gael are going to have to become a movement like Fianna Fáil in that all members really subscribe to the ideals of working with Nationalist people, in particular, in the North to bring about a united Ireland.
Why so? FG always had a sympathetic view of unionists and an approach of a United Ireland will only happen if the majority in the North want it and this now has become the acceptance among the majority of people in the Republic and the major political parties.

Ulster-Lad

DJP

I don't think parties should try and become national movements.

If a party thinks of itself as a national movement then it starts to equate party and country and that leads to the "party first, country second" attitude.

As regards a united Ireland, the best thing FG can do is to try and run the Republic properly, like a normal state.

I am also coming to the conclusion that actively working for a united Ireland will actually push it further away. Friendly co-operation in economics, sport and culture is what is needed at the moment. There is not going to be a referendum in the North until Nationalists win more votes than Unionists at an election and that is unlikely for about 20 years or so. Even then it is unlikely that nationalists will vote for unity. The 6 counties gets a massive subsidy from Britain (the equivalent of the South getting a present of 27 billion euro every year). There is no need to rush. The best argument for a united Ireland is a well-run Republic in the South.
Good points but I think a lot more Fine Gael and Labour members should be showing a lot more of an interest in Northern Ireland.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies