locke

We now seem to have at least 5 going for the nomination

Simon Coveney TD
Deirdre Clune TD
Senator Jerry Buttimer
Cllr Des Cahill
Cllr Laura McGonigle

Do we have any more to come?

The country side seems a bit light compared to the number of city candidates.

Is it a foregone conclusion that the same three will be selected as last time?

I'm a bit surprised McGonigle has thrown her name in as I always perceived her as very much in the Clune camp.

I'm a bit surprised McGonigle has thrown her name in as I always perceived her as very much in the Clune camp.
So how long have you been around politics ?

You never heard of a spoiler candidate for convention ?

tommygavin

jerry is a bit of an embarrasment the type of guy the party should be getting away from, mcgonigle did well around the time of the big freeze as she had constant updates on her website regarding the issues, seems to be bright.

Skyrocket

Her attendance at council meetings is appaling though

locke

So how long have you been around politics ?

You never heard of a spoiler candidate for convention ?
I can't see what she'd achieve as a spoiler though.

Geographically, there's a very tight overlap between the two.

The only other candidate she'll affect is Cahill, who looks like a big outsider as well.

Red_93

We now seem to have at least 5 going for the nomination

Simon Coveney TD
Deirdre Clune TD
Senator Jerry Buttimer
Cllr Des Cahill
Cllr Laura McGonigle

Do we have any more to come?

The country side seems a bit light compared to the number of city candidates.

Is it a foregone conclusion that the same three will be selected as last time?

Good as McGonigle is (and she is) and I don't know much about Cahill, if FG run either of them they can forget about 3 seats in CSC.

Blissett

Is it possible McGonigle is there on Clune's request to spoil Cahill? How many will be picked at the convention?
Also did i read somewhere that FG are thinking of running 4? Surely thats lunacy?

locke

Also did i read somewhere that FG are thinking of running 4? Surely thats lunacy?
It might explain why McGonigle and Cahill are putting their names forward. If three are run, it's hard to see beyond the candidates from the last election.

I would have thought that if they were to run a fourth that a candidate from the SC ward in the city would make sense. Is there any mention that Emmet O'Halloran might be interested?

Is it possible McGonigle is there on Clune's request to spoil Cahill? How many will be picked at the convention?
Course it is possible.

Keeping votes tied up until late in the convention is a standard way of screwing opposition.

CorkHurler

I'd say Senator Buttimer is sorry he backed Enda, FG have no chance of 3 seats on 24% nationally.

Phoenix_Rising

FYI,
Her record for attending Council meetings has been impeccable, 100% in fact.
If you're going to throw mud and attempt to damage a person's reputation, kindly substantiate it first.

http://cllrlauramc.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/percentages-for-cllrs.jpg
And maybe you should substantiate the facts before you start scanning up 3 year old press clippings...

Those figures are for the 6 months in 2007 to Jan 1st 2008 when she was co-opted to replace Clune after the GE...

Her record since then is less impressive...

Blissett

I'd say Senator Buttimer is sorry he backed Enda, FG have no chance of 3 seats on 24% nationally.
Id give them an outside chance with 3 candidates, there is a good geographic spread and all the oireachtas members are relatively popular. But it will be a tight squeeze, if they run 4 they can kiss three goodbye, and on a bad day, could even screw up a second seat (unlikely but possible). Very bad idea.

moc76

And maybe you should substantiate the facts before you start scanning up 3 year old press clippings...

Those figures are for the 6 months in 2007 to Jan 1st 2008 when she was co-opted to replace Clune after the GE...

Her record since then is less impressive...
And maybe you should substantiate yours....where's the evidence.

Phoenix_Rising

And maybe you should substantiate yours....where's the evidence.
Fair enough...The original poster said that her record was 100% and supplied a paper clipping to support that case...

I only pointed out that this is NOT the case as that particular media report only covers 6 months in 2007...I said her record since then is less impressive which is true...

She has a record of less than 100% in 2008, 2009 & 2010...

pitcairn78

Laura McGonigle was the deputy Lord Mayor from June 2009 to June 2010 which might explain some absences.
The Lord Mayor (Dara Murphy at the time) chairs the council meeting so as Deputy she would have had to attend functions and events while the council meeting was on.
Outside of her year as Deputy, her attendance has been almost perfect.

DaveMc

jerry is a bit of an embarrasment the type of guy the party should be getting away from, mcgonigle did well around the time of the big freeze as she had constant updates on her website regarding the issues, seems to be bright.
:)+1

Phoenix_Rising

Laura McGonigle was the deputy Lord Mayor from June 2009 to June 2010 which might explain some absences.
The Lord Mayor (Dara Murphy at the time) chairs the council meeting so as Deputy she would have had to attend functions and events while the council meeting was on.
Outside of her year as Deputy, her attendance has been almost perfect.
Not arguing with her attendance record tbh...I just felt it fair to point out that the FG poster was trying to mislead people that she has a 100% record when this is not the case...

She is probably around 90% which is still a very good record.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies