Fine Gael Councillor " "Sharia Law is operating in Ireland "............Is he right?

Fullforward

Fine Gael Councillor Brian Murphy recently sent a tweet saying "Sharia Law is operating in Ireland and most of the political class either do not know or do not care. It is a subversion of our legal system".

He also said in another tweet.........."The Irish military should not be being forced to act as a ferry service for smugglers and illegal economic migrants in the Mediterranean,".

Councillor Murphy has come under fire from many quarters for these and other comments and Leo Varadkar had to issue a statement saying... "I want to disassociate myself and the party from those messages from Cllr Brian Murphy. They do not represent the policies views or values of the Fine Gael party."

The question is, are his views on this issue widespread in Fine Gael?

'We will take any necessary action' - Taoiseach distances himself from FG councillor's comments on Islam and refugees - Independent.ie

Watcher2

Fine Gael Councillor Brian Murphy recently sent a tweet saying "Sharia Law is operating in Ireland and most of the political class either do not know or do not care. It is a subversion of our legal system".

He also said in another tweet.........."The Irish military should not be being forced to act as a ferry service for smugglers and illegal economic migrants in the Mediterranean,".

Councillor Murphy has come under fire from many quarters for these and other comments and Leo Varadkar had to issue a statement saying... "I want to disassociate myself and the party from those messages from Cllr Brian Murphy. They do not represent the policies views or values of the Fine Gael party."

'We will take any necessary action' - Taoiseach distances himself from FG councillor's comments on Islam and refugees - Independent.ie
On the Sharia Law issue, its a very strange comment from Leo. If anyone is abiding by Sharia law and if the actions are contrary, or breaking Irish laws, then the culprits should be brought to task and the full rigors of the laws of this land leveled at their feet.

As regards the ferry service, the Councilor has a point. In many peoples views, including mine, the actions of our navy are encouraging smuggling. A different approach is needed. Sadly however, I don't know what that could be. Its a difficult one.

The Field Marshal

Sharia Law is officially operating in Ireland in connection with certain banking transactions and middle eastern countries.

GDPR

Already another thread on it but I'm surprised at you FF missing the opportunity to stick the boot into FG for bullying one of their own Councillors.

Aindriu

Sharia Law is officially operating in Ireland in connection with certain banking transactions and middle eastern countries.
There are doubtless some Muslim communities in the country where Sharia Law is operating.

I agree with the OP Fine Gael Councillor Brian Murphy. It should not be allowed and IS a subversion of our legal system!

showbandmanager

We've had Canon Law operating in this country for decades . This also should not be allowed as it is a subversion of our legal system

Degeneration X

Fine Gael hits out at 'unacceptable' anti-Muslim comments by Dublin councillor - Dublin Live

"A Fine Gael councillor has sparked fury on social media after making a number of anti-Muslim posts in which he said that the religion was doing "irreversible damage" to Europe.

Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown councillor Brian Murphy provoked outrage on Twitter when he wrote a series of tweets claiming Sharia Law is operating in Ireland and that Muslims posed a "very real" threat here.

He also accused the media and political establishment of being "cowards" and called for armed police to be installed outside Leinster House to protect Ireland's top politicians"

Well at least we know where his priorities lie - protect the elite and let everybody else fend for themselves.

Fullforward

Already another thread on it but I'm surprised at you FF missing the opportunity to stick the boot into FG for bullying one of their own Councillors.
I just raised the issue, where it goes is anybodies guess. My issues are not with internal FG problems but with what he said.

Fullforward

Fine Gael hits out at 'unacceptable' anti-Muslim comments by Dublin councillor - Dublin Live

"A Fine Gael councillor has sparked fury on social media after making a number of anti-Muslim posts in which he said that the religion was doing "irreversible damage" to Europe.

Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown councillor Brian Murphy provoked outrage on Twitter when he wrote a series of tweets claiming Sharia Law is operating in Ireland and that Muslims posed a "very real" threat here.

He also accused the media and political establishment of being "cowards" and called for armed police to be installed outside Leinster House to protect Ireland's top politicians"

Well at least we know where his priorities lie - protect the elite and let everybody else fend for themselves.
What a gormless comment, armed units outside Leinster House will only protect them there for the duration of their stay there, so about 10% of their time.

Congalltee

When anyone uses the term "sharia law" they demonstrate their ignorance. Sharia means Islamic law. We don't say "civil law law" or "an dlí law". If they can't get the terminology correct why listen to them?

Researchwill

What a gormless comment, armed units outside Leinster House will only protect them there for the duration of their stay there, so about 10% of their time.
It is my understanding and open to correction that armed Garda are always stationed at Leinster House.

bonkers

There are doubtless some Muslim communities in the country where Sharia Law is operating.

I agree with the OP Fine Gael Councillor Brian Murphy. It should not be allowed and IS a subversion of our legal system!
I presume you've some evidence for that.

Sister Mercedes

This Iman disagrees, and he's more moderate than the crowd in Clonskeagh.

Shaykh Umar Al-Qadri‏

Dear Councillor, stop scare mongering. Your post does not represent reality and only fuels #Islamophobia. Why don't we meet to discuss this?

benroe

Is everyone blind?
Does no one else see women every day forced to walk around in sacks?
Does anyone seriously believe that muslim women here have the same freedoms as non-muslims?

blinding

On the Sharia Law issue, its a very strange comment from Leo. If anyone is abiding by Sharia law and if the actions are contrary, or breaking Irish laws, then the culprits should be brought to task and the full rigors of the laws of this land leveled at their feet.

As regards the ferry service, the Councilor has a point. In many peoples views, including mine, the actions of our navy are encouraging smuggling. A different approach is needed. Sadly however, I don't know what that could be. Its a difficult one.
The Australians had similar problems and because they are an independent country they solved this problem very effectively . The Template is there . Our politicians refuse to use it . We need to change the Politicians to those that will use the Australian template .

Ruff says Flaherty

Is everyone blind?
Does no one else see women every day forced to walk around in sacks?
Does anyone seriously believe that muslim women here have the same freedoms as non-muslims?
Not Sharia law as he meant it though, is it?

If they aren't blowing anyone up or knocking them down , I don't care what they wear to be honest. It is up to them if they want to look ridiculous

As for the FG Councillor, he should be allowed raise this without such a scene being made by everybody.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies